Notifications
Clear all

When will we have Octoprint support?  

Page 2 / 4
  RSS
joo
 joo
(@joo)
RE: When will we have Octoprint support?

@crawlerin

We got our Prusa Mini working with Repetier Server tonight, so OctoPrint should also work

thingiverse.com/joo

Posted : 19/12/2019 6:44 pm
towlerg
(@towlerg)
Noble Member

@joo

Was that by using the mini USB on the motherboard?

Posted : 19/12/2019 7:54 pm
joo
 joo
(@joo)

@towlerg

yupp, Micro USB on Prusa to USB-A on the Rapsberry; Basic Settings:

Marlin

/dev/serial/by-id/usb-STMicroelectronics_STM32_Virtual_ComPort

115200 Baud

thingiverse.com/joo

Posted : 19/12/2019 8:17 pm
MVasilakis
(@mvasilakis)

I can confirm that Octoprint works just fine with the PrusaMini and via the mini usb port. I haven't been able to do extensive testing yet but PrusaSlicer sends a file just like on the MK3s and initiates the print just fine.

Photo: ?dl=0

Posted : 20/12/2019 7:20 pm
Piet liked
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: @manousos-v

I can confirm that Octoprint works just fine with the PrusaMini and via the mini usb port. I haven't been able to do extensive testing yet but PrusaSlicer sends a file just like on the MK3s and initiates the print just fine.

Great news! I am really depending on Octoprint these days, and was wondering if it would be a problem with the Mini. Thanks!

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 20/12/2019 9:28 pm
BunchaHooey
(@bunchahooey)
Eminent Member

@manousos-v

Thank you so much for testing this out!  That clears up some massive confusion, and  I am massively relieved 🙂

Posted : 20/12/2019 9:45 pm
Crawlerin
(@crawlerin)
Prominent Member

Thanks a lot for testing this 🙂 

Posted : 20/12/2019 11:52 pm
MVasilakis
(@mvasilakis)

@crawlerin

No problem. First octoprint print is still going strong.

Posted : 21/12/2019 1:59 am
Sal
 Sal
(@sal)

@manousos-v

So you are still using PrusaSlicer to prepare your models right? I was hesitant on Octoprint cuz I thought you would have to use their slicer if you want to print remotely

This post was modified 4 years ago by Sal
Posted : 21/12/2019 11:58 pm
MVasilakis
(@mvasilakis)
Posted by: @sal

@manousos-v

So you are still using PrusaSlicer to prepare your models right? I was hesitant on Octoprint cuz I thought you would have to use their slicer if you want to print remotely

Still using Prusa Slicer. Nothing has changed. We've sliced multiple prints now (still firmware 4.0.0) in PrusaSlicer and sent to Octoprint without issue.

Posted : 22/12/2019 2:01 am
Sal liked
Craig Trader
(@craig-trader-2)
Eminent Member
Posted by: @sal

With OctoPrint, by default, it expects you to upload pre-sliced Gcode files. As an option, you can install and configure a slicing plugin so that when you upload an STL file, it will get sliced and then printed, but it isn't mandatory.

I solve problems, usually with computers ...

Posted : 22/12/2019 5:10 pm
Sal liked
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: @wcraigtrader
With OctoPrint, by default, it expects you to upload pre-sliced Gcode files. As an option, you can install and configure a slicing plugin so that when you upload an STL file, it will get sliced and then printed, but it isn't mandatory.

I haven't tried it, but I believe that's based on a very old Cura version and it'll be slow. It does work, but PrusaSlicer is well integrated with Octoprint and lets you send generated gcode directly for printing. The two are a very powerful and flexible combination.

He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 22/12/2019 6:29 pm
Sal liked
CG-3D
(@cg-3d)

I can confirm that you can use octoprint to an extent, however I have noticed that the run-out routine does not work. At least not for me. The printer would pause and unload, but not allow you to reload and octoprint would not either. I could not reload nor resume a print. 

Posted : 28/12/2019 4:57 pm
Seth G. liked
Sal
 Sal
(@sal)

@lcgulotta

Rather interesting observation 

Posted : 28/12/2019 4:59 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: @towlerg

Personally the principle reason for running something like Octoprint is that it is independent of the processor running the printer.

This is a point that I think is often missed: It's nice to have on-board monitoring features, but for reliable monitoring of any process, you want "out of band" monitoring. I want my Octoprint install 100% independent of the printers it's monitoring, including power and any other dependencies. Otherwise there's no knowing whether the monitoring is simply offline or the printer is in distress.

I can understand why Prusa wants to add popular features, but allowing easy integration with Octoprint is essentially a gimme that costs Prusa nothing and provides very powerful capabilities that work across a mix of printers. I hope Prusa has or is considering sponsoring Octoprint development as it's doing a lot to make the hobbyist/home printing environment safer and more reliable.

Posted : 28/12/2019 5:09 pm
Sal
 Sal
(@sal)

@bobstro

I have no doubt that Prusa will get it right from a systematic point of view if they are looking into remote solutions with prusa connect etc.. If I were Jo I would consider acquiring octoprint same way IBM acquired Redhat. Just my 2sense 

Posted : 28/12/2019 11:16 pm
fns720
(@fns720)

@manousos-v

How did you configure your Octoprint's serial settings for Prusa MINI?

Posted : 30/01/2020 10:27 am
finariel
(@finariel)

Unfortunately its not working for me =/ Octorpint says that it has no more Baudrates to try ^^ 

What am I doing wrong? Prusa Mini is connected to a Raspberry Pi 3B+ via Micro USB Cable

Posted : 05/02/2020 10:18 pm
MVasilakis
(@mvasilakis)

@fns720

This post was modified 4 years ago 2 times by MVasilakis
Posted : 05/02/2020 10:41 pm
finariel
(@finariel)

@manousos-v

Have you installed Octoprint from their page or the Prusa editor? Could you share your Mini-Profile / Settings with us? 

Posted : 05/02/2020 10:45 pm
Page 2 / 4
Share: