Prusa Mini Silicone Bed Leveling Mod  

Page 6 / 21
  RSS
Arklan
(@arklan)
Trusted Member
RE: Prusa Mini Silicone Bed Leveling Mod

@straylit

ya know, i'd looked over that and ignored it previously but you have an excellent point. printing that now.

Posted : 08/10/2020 12:37 am
straylit liked
straylit
(@straylit)
Posted by: @straylit

McMaster-Carr:

5041K732  Hi-Temp Silicone Rubber Tubing for Air&Water Durometer 70A, Opaque Black, 3 mm ID, 7 mm OD, 5 ft. Length

90236A123  Zinc-Plated Alloy Steel Torx Flat Head Screws, M3 x 0.5 Mm Thread Size, 16 Mm Long, Pack of 50

Amazon:

B003Z6VHE4 Axial AXA1052 Thin Nylon Locking Hex Nut (10-Piece), M3, Black

The mod went smoothly and looks amazing with the black tube/nuts!

Appears so clean that I'm surprised it doesn't ship this way from the factory.

My deviations are all at ±0.01 or 0 and YACS came in at 141.20x141.22.

Until we can upgrade to PINDA/temperature-compensation I think this is as good as it gets because we are within the margin of error for the MINDA.

Print a substantial M3 wrench first! I had to tape mine to a metal wrench to keep it from flexing during the initial compression.

I'm not quite sure which way the locknuts should be oriented, I placed them in the direction which seemed natural but I notice that the nylon insert is not fully engaged as screws I used did not protrude past the locknut.

Posted : 11/10/2020 7:13 pm
GaetanLE
(@gaetanle)

After not being able to print for over a week (out of nowhere my nozzle would crash into my prints and move them) I installed the mod and voilà - today I can print again - lucky me I printed it before the problems came out.

One the other side I'm still clueless what caused all of this but well, now it seems I'm back.

Posted : 11/10/2020 10:03 pm
WillDeed
(@willdeed)

@arklan-uthoslin

I found the same torx screws on Amazon (along with the super slow shipping...)

I'm assuming you've received yours by now and have a ton of extras. If you live in the US and would be willing to ship some, I'd be willing to buy some from you. DM me if interested.

Posted : 15/10/2020 5:41 am
Arklan
(@arklan)
Trusted Member
Posted by: @willdeed

@arklan-uthoslin

I found the same torx screws on Amazon (along with the super slow shipping...)

I'm assuming you've received yours by now and have a ton of extras. If you live in the US and would be willing to ship some, I'd be willing to buy some from you. DM me if interested.

correct. however i've already passed my extras on to a couple other guys in this thread, back on page five.

Posted : 15/10/2020 5:33 pm
Jim
 Jim
(@jim)

@willdeed

See above, but if you are interested I have the whole kit of parts for $6.00+shipping (some of the torx came from Arklan).

-Jim

Posted : 15/10/2020 5:45 pm
WillDeed
(@willdeed)

@mcjamez 

Yeah, I'm interested, but I'm still too new to send a DM. Are you able to DM me for details?

Posted : 15/10/2020 6:02 pm
Jim liked
Arklan
(@arklan)
Trusted Member
Posted by: @mcjamez

@willdeed

See above, but if you are interested I have the whole kit of parts for $6.00+shipping (some of the torx came from Arklan).

-Jim

that's the guy i sold my stuff to, so there's my torx screws for ya! 😀

Posted : 15/10/2020 11:59 pm
Jim liked
Jim
 Jim
(@jim)

@mcjamez 

Yeah, I'm interested, but I'm still too new to send a DM. Are you able to DM me for details?

DM sent, we should be able to DM back and forth now. 

Posted : 16/10/2020 1:26 am
WillDeed
(@willdeed)
Posted by: @mcjamez

@mcjamez 

DM sent, we should be able to DM back and forth now. 

I got your DM, but it looks like I can't reply to that either. I thought I might be able to to reply to the email that was sent, but that goes to a "no reply" address... *sigh*

It sounds like 5 moderated forum posts is what's needed to become an Active Member, so hoping this will "flip the switch".

Posted : 16/10/2020 4:08 am
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator

@willdeed

Hi WIll, 

Your Switch should be Flipped now!

regards Joan

I try to make safe suggestions,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions, what you do, is YOUR responsibility. Location Halifax UK

Posted : 16/10/2020 10:59 am
WillDeed liked
Zbyněk Ch.
(@zbynek-ch)

Hi guys,

I've created simple jig to help you sanding standard M3 locknuts. Half an hour printing, five minutes sanding. No need to look for low profile locknuts.

https://www.prusaprinters.org/prints/43563-prusa-mini-silicone-bed-leveling-mod-locknut-sandi

Happy sanding!

Posted : 16/10/2020 2:51 pm
Jim liked
Zbyněk Ch.
(@zbynek-ch)

Hi again,

so my SiliMod is finally installed. Thanks @benji and others who contributed.

Here goes another jig to help with this install:

https://www.prusaprinters.org/prints/43629-prusa-mini-silicone-bed-leveling-mod-bed-tightenin

My thoughts and reccomendations:

1) I didn't use new 16mm screw in the center hole, just reused original

2) use 18mm screws even if you manage to get low profile nuts, it is MUCH easier to catch the screw threads

3) in my opinion only 18mm screws and full size locknuts are necessary, you simply sand the rear middle one down in a few minutes, no headaches

4) first I tried to level the bed using values from OctoPrint BedVisualiser plugin - not a good idea, Benjis new tool https://bbbenji.github.io/PMSBLM/ is much better

5) in new Benjis tool results are displayed naturally, as you are standing in front of the printer, so top right value is for the screw next to heatbed powercable

Posted : 17/10/2020 4:19 pm
Adam_pres
(@adam_pres)

Great mod, sorted my first layer issues. Does any one else have readjust the screws when they change from the textured sheet to smooth sheet? 

Any one else have this problem? 

Posted : 25/10/2020 1:30 pm
frankyp
(@frankyp)

@mcjamez

Hello Jim. I tried sending you a DM but it wouldn’t let me, possibly because I’m new here. How do I get in contact with you for a leveling kit that you offer?

Thanks,

Frank

Posted : 30/10/2020 8:30 pm
GaetanLE
(@gaetanle)

Hey @adam_pres3 I don't have to, you have to change your z height actually! The textured sheet is about 400 micron lower than the smooth one.

Sadly you can't store the value on the Mini.

Posted : 30/10/2020 9:00 pm
WillDeed
(@willdeed)
  1. Make sure your X-Z assembly is square with the Y assembly. If you can't get it right, try shimming.

Is there a guide for doing this? Both checking/adjusting for squareness and shimming.

The only thing I've found is this link, which doesn't seem like the same thing.

This post was modified 3 years ago 2 times by WillDeed
Posted : 31/10/2020 6:49 am
vARCHAR_oRANGE
(@varchar_orange)

Just finished up without any real issues. However, how do you get the MeshMap to work in Octoprint? Ran it and it just performs G28 then sits there, nothing else happens...no issues running it on my Bear and MK3S so no clue what I'm doing wrong!

Posted : 31/10/2020 3:27 pm
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member

@patrick-c8

My code for the PrusaMeshMap Plugin:

G28 W ; home all without mesh bed level

G80 ; mesh bed leveling

G81 ; check mesh leveling results

G1 Z10 F8000

G1 X185 Y160

maybe you try this.

Statt zu klagen, dass wir nicht alles haben, was wir wollen, sollten wir lieber dankbar sein, dass wir nicht alles bekommen, was wir verdienen.

Posted : 31/10/2020 3:51 pm
WillDeed
(@willdeed)

Just finished this mod and pretty pleased with it. Thanks for sharing!

Before:

After:

I have left over parts (at least enough to form one full kit), so if anybody is looking for parts DM me.

Posted : 31/10/2020 9:12 pm
Page 6 / 21
Share: