Notifications
Clear all

Prusa Mini Nozzle 0.8mm  

RSS
kiko91
(@kiko91)
Prusa Mini Nozzle 0.8mm

Hello,

I would like to know what settings I should use on PrusaSlicer to be able to print with a 3D Solex 0.8mm nozzle.

Thanks!

Posted : 24/11/2020 11:56 pm
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator
RE: Prusa Mini Nozzle 0.8mm

Nozzle diameter,
Maximum volumetric flow
Layer height,
Extrusion Width
Print Speeds 
Nozzle Temperature!

Maybe a bit of TLC... 

Joan

I try to make safe suggestions,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions, what you do, is YOUR responsibility. Location Halifax UK

Posted : 25/11/2020 1:15 am
kiko91
(@kiko91)
Topic starter answered:

Do you know what parameters to use or where I can get (to calculate) it?

Posted : 25/11/2020 10:32 am
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator

Nozzle diameter,                                  0.8mm
Maximum volumetric flow                 normally 15mms, although I hear that the Solex nozzle may be able to manage a little more
Layer height,                                          Up to 80% nozzle height, but note that you can't have large layer height, wide extrusion and fast speed...
Extrusion Width                                    Various...     Try something like -  first layer 0.85,  top layer 0.83, the rest 0.87, supports 0.75 
Print Speeds                                            slower than usual so as to not exceed the max volumetric flow
Nozzle Temperature!                             Maybe 5 to 10% higher than normal, because you are planning to melt more filament. you need to do temperature threes BUT NOTE... a 0.8mm nozzle is intended for LARGE MODELS,    you should consider scaling up the temperature tree to be representative of a larger model

Maybe a bit of TLC...    you need to play with the values above to reach the best compromise for you. 
0.8mm nozzle is towards the top end of what the E3Dv6 extruder can handle. 

Other extruder options include
the Dragon Hi Flow, or Phaetus Hi Flow extruder (Drop in replacement for E3Dv6 uses same nozzles)
E3D Volcano, needs a different Part Cooling fan setup, uses longer nozzles, reduces Z Height by about 11 mm, may need firmware change
E3D Super Volcano, Needs different Part cooling fan setup, Uses MUCH longer nozzle, reduces Z height even more
Mosquito Hi Flow version (Not sure of name) Requires different extruder housing, often paired with Bondtech geared feed system, needs firmware changes

All of the alternate extruders will support higher than 15mm cube/second volumetric flow. possibly permitting higher layer heights and higher Print speeds with wide extrusion widths

there are several gearbox setups that increase the gearing between the extruder motor and the hobbed gears in the extruder and isolate the hobbed gears from the motor heat. if you plan on making the extruder system work harder, it may be worth considering a gearbox. 
Most gearboxes reverse the motor direction, this can be resolved by either, changing firmware, changing the motor wiring, or using the bunny science Belt drive gearbox, which I believe, does not reverse the direction.

I Hope these hints help you get started. 

Regards 

Joan

I try to make safe suggestions,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions, what you do, is YOUR responsibility. Location Halifax UK

Posted : 25/11/2020 12:06 pm
Share: