Clear all

OctoPrint Mini Guide [link]  

RSS
Nehalem
(@nehalem)
Eminent Member
OctoPrint Mini Guide [link]

Link: https://github.com/cendrizzi/octoprint-mini-howto

Thought I would create a new topic for this. Maybe it can be pinned if possible on these boards. Please use this thread to comment or provide feedback. Or better yet, create a PR (that was why I created it on github). 

This topic was modified 4 years ago by Nehalem
Posted : 26/08/2020 2:59 pm
Gordon W
(@gordon-w)
Reputable Member
RE: OctoPrint Mini Guide [link]

It's a good start but you are confusing Octoprint and OctoPi. See https://community.octoprint.org/t/what-is-the-difference-between-octoprint-and-octopi-are-they-the-same-thing/185

Posted : 26/08/2020 6:03 pm
Nehalem
(@nehalem)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:

Yeah, you are right. I didn't even consider that but obviously you can run OctoPrint on other platforms so one is the OS and one is the application (or daemon). I will have to clarify this. 

Posted : 26/08/2020 8:02 pm
towlerg
(@towlerg)
Noble Member

@cendrizzi

"one is the OS and one is the application (or daemon). I will have to clarify this. "  Actually Octoprint is an application that runs on various hardware whereas OctoPi is the same application, scripts etc. to tailor OctoPrint to the Pi and a Pi OS all in one easy to install package.

You should note that the version of OctoPrint that is included in OctoPi tens to lack behind the latest version of OctoPrint. This is not important as a upgrade of OctoPrint on a properly configured install of OctoPi is trivial.

Might I suggest that you stress the advise that a Pi3B+ or 4B is the minimum spec of Pi.

Posted : 27/08/2020 11:41 am
Nehalem
(@nehalem)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:

Thanks for the feedback. I attempted my first stab at clarifying OctoPi and OctoPrint while separating the setup specific to OctoPi so that any people setting up OctoPrint on another platform can just skip to the OctoPrint setup section. For other platforms there might be some specific setup instructions that would be useful but since I don't have any experience with this I won't' be much help (this probably deserves it's own linked md doc). Also expressed a stronger opinion on which Raspberry pi should be used. 

I think I'll mention the OctoPrint being behind in a new section that gives some instructions on just using OctoPrint (vs setting it up). This would include updating packages, etc.

Posted : 27/08/2020 11:10 pm
towlerg
(@towlerg)
Noble Member

@cendrizzi

If a Pi is to be used there is absolutely no reason for inexperienced not to use OctoPi for the install.

Posted : 28/08/2020 2:36 pm
Nehalem
(@nehalem)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:

@towlerg

I'm not exactly sure what you mean. I mention that the guide biases towards using Octopi and a pi. I simply separated out instructions for OctoPrint itself so if some wanted to use the Mac computer, for example, this guide will still have some use for them. Trying to find the values to put in OctoPrint is a real challenge for someone that is new to this stuff like me. 

Posted : 28/08/2020 7:06 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

Octoprint works for me, but I cannot get Octoplase to work with the Mini. 

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 28/08/2020 8:26 pm
Nehalem
(@nehalem)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:

@charles-h13

Anything useful from the logs? Are you putting in any unique gcode lines somewhere that might throw it off since it obviously has to change the gcode to ensure consistent positioning? It just seems so bizarre since it just worked out of the box, so to speak, for me (except my camera may not be up to the task as mine all look blurry since it can't seem to focus well). 

Posted : 28/08/2020 8:31 pm
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member

@charles-h13

Octolapse and Mini - Maybe you can find some useful hints to get Octolapse running: https://forum.prusa3d.com/forum/user-mods-octoprint-enclosures-nozzles/anyone-have-successful-octolapse-settings/

Statt zu klagen, dass wir nicht alles haben, was wir wollen, sollten wir lieber dankbar sein, dass wir nicht alles bekommen, was wir verdienen.

Posted : 28/08/2020 9:46 pm
SM26
 SM26
(@sm26)
Eminent Member

anyone got a good plugin for filament change?

I saw a few but I'm too afraid to test it myself

Posted : 03/09/2020 10:04 am
Nehalem
(@nehalem)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:

@sm26

I haven't tried one yet myself. My problem is I often times will do a first layer calibration after a filament change so I kind of gave up on the idea of changing filaments with OctoPrint. Maybe I'm being a little OCD.

Posted : 05/09/2020 1:56 am
Share: