Notifications
Clear all

Mini LCD Extension Cable  

RSS
Adam Haile
(@adam-haile)
Mini LCD Extension Cable

Has anyone gotten the LCD on the MINI to work with a ribbon extension cable? Or just a longer 14 wire cable for that matter.
I'm building an enclosure and wanted to put the LCD on the outside - so I bought an extension cable for the 14 wire ribbon cable that runs to the LCD panel - it clearly gets  power but no data, it just stays white. When I put it back to using the normal cable it works fine. Extension I'm using is 1m long.
Maybe it's just a matter of a poor quality cable - or the fact that I'm using an extension instead of replacing the entire cable. But hoping someone else had done this and might have a suggestion of cable to use.

Posted : 29/02/2020 2:21 pm
j.gabbai
(@j-gabbai)
Estimable Member
RE: Mini LCD Extension Cable

Only one cable should be put and the total length is probably a problem.

Generally some 10/20 cm is the maximum possible

L'impression 3D est l'avenir plus ou moins proche de toute l'industrie. Sa découverte ouvre l'esprit à la création, mais aussi à de nouveaux métiers et pour le moment un atout peu ordinaire à mettre impérativement sur un CV.

Posted : 29/02/2020 2:38 pm
Adam Haile
(@adam-haile)
Topic starter answered:
Posted by: @j-gabbai

Only one cable should be put and the total length is probably a problem.

Generally some 10/20 cm is the maximum possible

Hmm - The cable that comes with it is prob 20cm already. And I've used 100cm cables before on other printers. Though maybe because it's a full graphical LCD with color the data-rate is too high and causing problems. I'll try it with a single cable and not an extension at least and see if that works. Might be able to also shield it.

Posted : 29/02/2020 2:46 pm
j.gabbai
(@j-gabbai)
Estimable Member

the graphic LCD probably works in 3V and not in 5, the CPU also works faster so that the transmission is more "delicate"
I'm not sure but it's a serious lead

L'impression 3D est l'avenir plus ou moins proche de toute l'industrie. Sa découverte ouvre l'esprit à la création, mais aussi à de nouveaux métiers et pour le moment un atout peu ordinaire à mettre impérativement sur un CV.

Posted : 29/02/2020 2:58 pm
jaydubblazer
(@jaydubblazer)
Trusted Member

Following.  I have already disconnected my lcd.  Just need to figure out where to relocate it.

JayDub
Weened on MK3's at work, FrakenMini and MKs at home.

Posted : 02/03/2020 4:18 am
Adam Haile
(@adam-haile)
Topic starter answered:

I've now tried with a 750mm cable (not extension) with still no luck. Might work if I shielded the cable somehow but I think it's just not getting the data single as is. I could probably find a way to make it work but I've generally given up on it for now. Would've been nice but not worth it for now.

Posted : 02/03/2020 4:21 am
Neolker
(@neolker)

It might help reduce values of serial resistors around J8 connector for LCD for SPI traces, but 1 meter is too long. Maybe +30 cm will be ok, but be sure, that you will lose warranty and maybe cross limits of EMC emissions as well.

Posted : 05/04/2020 12:47 am
Martin H
(@martin-h)

@adammhaile

Adamm, have you figured this out? I would like to do the same thing....

Posted : 18/07/2020 5:59 pm
Yakov
(@yakov)
Eminent Member

I also want to use longer cables for LCD.

Posted : 06/02/2021 5:18 pm
calex
(@calex)

I also wanted to install a longer cable...

Did anyone got any luck with a longer cable?

Prusa Mini+ full stock

Posted : 07/11/2021 4:13 pm
BogdanH
(@bogdanh)
Honorable Member

As far I could see on Google, there's no answer on that question. Anyway, if I would need longer cable, then I would just try. I mean, these cables and connectors are dirty cheap.
As from 1st post, it seems Mini LCD can't handle very long cables. But who know, maybe it would work with half meter? Be the first to answer the question 😎 .

[Mini+] [MK3S+BEAR]

Posted : 07/11/2021 5:35 pm
Sp4rkR4t
(@sp4rkr4t)
Estimable Member

Just bumping this to see if anyone ever found a solution, I'd like to remove the lcd display and put it on the outside of my enclosure as well, partly to have easy access to the display but also with the lcd moved that is the perfect place to put my spool holder. and not take up so much width on my desk.

Posted : 02/03/2022 9:35 am
You liked
Tuna209
(@tuna209)
Eminent Member

Check this out Prusa Mini External enclosure mount by penguin3d on the prints page.

Posted : 04/03/2022 4:20 pm
Sp4rkR4t liked
Share: