Improved MINI spool holder  

RSS
Texy
 Texy
(@texy)
Reputable Member
Improved MINI spool holder

Hi,

I print using filament changes for a lot of my designs, but it is somewhat tiresome to keep adjusting the supplied spool holder width.

Anyone got links to improved spool holder that does not need adjustment?

Thanks,

Texy

Posted : 28/06/2020 10:01 am
Gordon W
(@gordon-w)
Reputable Member
RE: Improved MINI spool holder

There's a fair number of spool holders in prints. I've not used this one but would https://www.prusaprinters.org/prints/32699-fully-3d-printed-spool-holder suit your needs?

Posted : 28/06/2020 10:18 am
Texy
 Texy
(@texy)
Reputable Member
Topic starter answered:
Posted by: @gordon-w

There's a fair number of spool holders in prints. I've not used this one but would https://www.prusaprinters.org/prints/32699-fully-3d-printed-spool-holder suit your needs?

Thanks, but it looks overly complicated, plus I'm happy to use the bearings that come with the existing MINI spool holder.....

Posted : 28/06/2020 10:39 am
bobc
 bobc
(@bobc)
Reputable Member

I've been looking for a better spool holder, preferably using the 608 bearings. I didn't find anything that worked well for me. The ones with a long roller never seem to roll well, the spool slides on the roller, instead of the roller turning. The snap-fit designs never seem to fit properly, requiring glue or screws.

In the end I adapted a design similar to the Prusa one, but using a DIN rail mount instead of the plastic rails. I still have to adjust it, but it easier to slide the holder along the rail. I use the same rail for several spools.

Posted : 28/06/2020 11:43 am
Mog
 Mog
(@mog)
Eminent Member

@texy

I wonder if this one would meet your needs.  It uses 608Z bearings, but maybe those are different that what the mini spool holder uses?  I too would like to not adjust for different spools, but haven't gotten around to trying this one out.  I ran across this on some FB group where someone said it was "the best".

Posted : 29/06/2020 4:23 am
lnjustin liked
Texy
 Texy
(@texy)
Reputable Member
Topic starter answered:
Posted by: @mog

@texy

I wonder if this one would meet your needs.  It uses 608Z bearings, but maybe those are different that what the mini spool holder uses?  I too would like to not adjust for different spools, but haven't gotten around to trying this one out.  I ran across this on some FB group where someone said it was "the best"

Hi,    
 that does indeed looks exactly what I am looking for and it does appear to use the supplied bearings. I shall give this version a go and report back. 

thanks 😊 

Texy

This post was modified 4 years ago 2 times by Texy
Posted : 29/06/2020 5:08 am
Mog liked
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

@mog

This one is fantastic.  I printed 3 out of ABS this weekend.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 29/06/2020 9:35 am
Mog
 Mog
(@mog)
Eminent Member

@charles-h13

Were you able to use the original bearings from the Mini spool holder?

Posted : 29/06/2020 3:50 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

@mog

I did not.  I have hundreds if 608zs lying around.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 29/06/2020 6:23 pm
Mog
 Mog
(@mog)
Eminent Member

From what I've just learned about 608 bearings from Misumi, it seems like they are all the same size, and hence the Mini ones should work.  I guess I'll give it a go.  I have no ABS, but am thinking PETG would be ok.

Posted : 29/06/2020 6:43 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

@mog

It will.  I chose ABS because it was what I had loaded.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 29/06/2020 11:48 pm
Mog
 Mog
(@mog)
Eminent Member
Posted by: @mog

@texy

I wonder if this one would meet your needs.  It uses 608Z bearings, but maybe those are different that what the mini spool holder uses?  I too would like to not adjust for different spools, but haven't gotten around to trying this one out.  I ran across this on some FB group where someone said it was "the best".

Having now printed this one, I really like it.  I suppose I could have remixed it to be a bit smaller as I don't anticipate needing those gigantic rolls, but at least the existing bearings worked and no more readjusting for the smaller TPU ones I have.

The left roller was printed right out of my storage bag and the 2nd one happened after I left the roll out all night.  Clearly a lesson in why 44%RH is not good for PETG for 12ish 14ish hours.

Posted : 02/07/2020 2:30 am
Texy
 Texy
(@texy)
Reputable Member
Topic starter answered:

Hi

I’ve printed half of it so far and will complete it within the next day or so and report back but the signs are looking good 🙂 

Texy

Posted : 02/07/2020 6:46 am
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

@mog

You will be surprised as you amass more brands.  Not all brands are on tall narrow spools.  Some are short and fat.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 02/07/2020 9:15 am
Andrew Pawelski
(@andrew-pawelski)
Trusted Member

Anyone got a cheap link for those bearings?

Posted : 14/07/2020 11:50 pm
Texy
 Texy
(@texy)
Reputable Member
Topic starter answered:

They are available just shot everywhere and not expensive. 

I did forget to reply to this thread that   https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2221639 is great !

Texy

Posted : 15/07/2020 6:45 am
Zelrick
(@zelrick)

I recently uploaded a spool holder that mounts to the Y axis extrusion. It helps to stabilize the printer when lifting the build plate off and makes the whole thing more compact. My PrusaPrinters.org profile is here: https://www.prusaprinters.org/social/22049-zelrick/prints

Posted : 03/10/2020 1:39 am
Fred
 Fred
(@fred-4)

@zelrick

I really like this design.  Thanks for sharing.

Posted : 03/10/2020 2:30 pm
Zelrick liked
huidu
(@huidu)

Here is the bearing I often use, you can see, after all, before my mechanical accident, I am here to buy parts, you can see https://en.tradebearings.com/clist_209.html

Posted : 13/06/2023 7:44 am
jannickz
(@jannickz)

Posted by: @huidu

Here is the bearing I often use, you can see, after all, before my mechanical accident, I am here to buy parts, you can see https://en.tradebearings.com/clist_209.html

Thanks for sharing the bearing site, i often get bearings information from https://www.bearingforworld.com, also good for me.

Posted : 21/11/2023 1:50 pm
Share: