Notifications
Clear all

What is saved with "Save Project"?  

RSS
SeattleDavid
(@seattledavid)
Estimable Member
What is saved with "Save Project"?

When doing "File | Save Project" what all is being saved?

• Is it just the shapes and their positions?
  • Does it include all of the settings on the Print, Filament, and Printer settings?

If I wish to archive a project and include all of the settings so that I can then later reliably re-print the project, what do I need to do? My concern is that the Print, Filament, and Printer settings are not included in the Project, and worse, that those settings are stored somewhere within the storage area of Prusa Slicer that isn't easy to archive and restore for later printing.

(Yes, I do realize that you can individually save the Print, Filament, and Printer settings into new profiles, but a year later those may have moved, they seem to be stored within Prusa Slicer's storage area, and they don't seem to easily transfer from one computer to the next.)

I am seeking a way to archive all of the printer settings so that in one or five years I can reliably get back to where I was when I left the project.

Best Answer by Neophyl:

Saving a project does save all the settings, including the print, filament and printer settings.  It saves the objects on the plater as well as any modifiers you may have placed.

It does not save any supports etc that may have been generated when the file is sliced but as the modifiers etc are saved then re-slicing it should give you the same results (except if you load it in a new version of Slicer where the software may interpret your modifiers etc differently).

Its why saving projects is a very good work habit to get into.  You can revisit the project at any time later.  You can also import settings from any old project so if you want to apply previous settings to something you are working on now its easy.  I save before slicing.  That way if it does have issues I havent lost any work.

You mention transferring settings from one PC to the next.  There are 2 ways to easily do that. 

The first method is to use File>Export>Export Config Bundle.  This saves a copy of any customised Print/Filament/Printer profiles.  It does NOT save any of the system default ones.  This is an easy way to transfer settings from one computer to another.  I use it to keep my home and work pc's in 'sync'.  You do have to run the wizard on new installs to install all the default system ones you want though.  Its also good to periodically do it to back up all your settings.  I date the saved bundles and use them as snapshots.

I also use a fork of Prusa Slicer called Super Slicer, using the config bundle export/import approach I can also keep the 2 slicers in sync too.

The second way is to locate the user folders that Prusa Slicer uses (Help>Show configuration folder).  You can then copy the entire folder.  On a new install you can replace the folder with your saved one and it should all just appear.  Meaning no having to run the wizard.  

I'd still do the save config bundle though as you can always get the system defaults back.

Posted : 06/08/2020 10:25 am
Neophyl
(@neophyl)
Illustrious Member
RE: What is saved with "Save Project"?

Saving a project does save all the settings, including the print, filament and printer settings.  It saves the objects on the plater as well as any modifiers you may have placed.

It does not save any supports etc that may have been generated when the file is sliced but as the modifiers etc are saved then re-slicing it should give you the same results (except if you load it in a new version of Slicer where the software may interpret your modifiers etc differently).

Its why saving projects is a very good work habit to get into.  You can revisit the project at any time later.  You can also import settings from any old project so if you want to apply previous settings to something you are working on now its easy.  I save before slicing.  That way if it does have issues I havent lost any work.

You mention transferring settings from one PC to the next.  There are 2 ways to easily do that. 

The first method is to use File>Export>Export Config Bundle.  This saves a copy of any customised Print/Filament/Printer profiles.  It does NOT save any of the system default ones.  This is an easy way to transfer settings from one computer to another.  I use it to keep my home and work pc's in 'sync'.  You do have to run the wizard on new installs to install all the default system ones you want though.  Its also good to periodically do it to back up all your settings.  I date the saved bundles and use them as snapshots.

I also use a fork of Prusa Slicer called Super Slicer, using the config bundle export/import approach I can also keep the 2 slicers in sync too.

The second way is to locate the user folders that Prusa Slicer uses (Help>Show configuration folder).  You can then copy the entire folder.  On a new install you can replace the folder with your saved one and it should all just appear.  Meaning no having to run the wizard.  

I'd still do the save config bundle though as you can always get the system defaults back.

Posted : 06/08/2020 11:16 am
gkas
 gkas
(@gkas)
Estimable Member

Thanks for the info..... Saved for future reference. 😀 

Posted : 06/08/2020 3:56 pm
repivot
(@repivot)

I don't think I understand (or "Save Project" is not operating as I think is should).  If I save a project, and then give that .3mf file to someone else (that doesn't have my presets), that person should be able to open the file and have all the project settings the same as I do? Or do they also have to have the same presets?  I tried this (PrusaSlicer-2.5.0) and some settings did transfer like the variable layer height settings but parameters like Horizontal shells -> solid layers -> Top did not.

Posted : 04/01/2023 7:02 pm
Share: