Notifications
Clear all

Thickening issue  

RSS
jzhdesigner
(@jzhdesigner)
Thickening issue

Hi,

So I've been trying to print an .STL file and it appears to be too thin to print.  When I try to thicken the file whether using solidify in Blender or Meshmixer, Prusa Slicer can hardly print anything.  Is there a way to thicken your model within the Prusa slicer itself?

Thanks!

Posted : 02/04/2020 6:43 pm
Neophyl
(@neophyl)
Illustrious Member
RE: Thickening issue

Under Print Settings > Advanced> Slicing theres XY size Compensation that can grow/shrink a model.  That applies it to all the model in a plane though.

Other options for printing think parts is to try turning on Detect Thin Walls (under Print Settings> Layers and Perimeters>Quality).  Or another method is to adjust the extrusion width under Print Settings>Advanced.  For a 0.4mm nozzle the default is 0.45 so you can tweak it down to 0.4 and that will print finer detail.

Save your project as... that will save a .3mf file with the model and all your settings, zip it up and attach it here and people can then take a look at it.

Posted : 02/04/2020 7:56 pm
jzhdesigner
(@jzhdesigner)
Topic starter answered:

@neophyl

Thanks!  Turning on Detect Thin Walls helped some parts.  I couldn't find the XY Size Compensation though unfortunately.  The nozzle is currently set to 0.4.  I've included the link to the file. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ANz5BR0-nYahL5UbNi4U6LcxF5iTxoi9

Posted : 03/04/2020 4:07 am
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator

I can't open the 3MF file, could you ZIP the STL, and add it to your next post. 

regards Joan

I try to make safe suggestions,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions, what you do, is YOUR responsibility. Location Halifax UK

Posted : 03/04/2020 5:47 pm
Neophyl
(@neophyl)
Illustrious Member

Yeah that zip file was 282M big and extracts with an error.  That must be some model you have there.  Never seen a 3mf file that big.

The XY size compensation is an expert setting so you must be in expert mode to see it.  

Posted : 03/04/2020 5:58 pm
kennd
(@kennd)
Reputable Member

It is! I got it loaded into Prusaslicer. Wow. Lots of errors fixed and still a lot of reversed facets and edges. I think it broke the netfabb. 😀 This model has dozens  ( hundreds) of leaves sticking out. Hung at model fixing.

Quality is the Journey, not the Destination. My limited prints->

Posted : 03/04/2020 8:36 pm
jzhdesigner
(@jzhdesigner)
Topic starter answered:
Posted by: @neophyl

Yeah that zip file was 282M big and extracts with an error.  That must be some model you have there.  Never seen a 3mf file that big.

The XY size compensation is an expert setting so you must be in expert mode to see it.  

Sorry for the late response...I was having issues getting the .STL uploaded properly to google drive.  Yep it is a large file due to the geometry and the number of individual leaves on the tree.  I managed to get the XY to work (set to .5mm) which was great, however in order to get it to show any detail on the leaves I had to split the part into 2 and have the layer height set to ultra detail at .05.  As you can see from my screenshot it is estimated to print for 11 days with supports!  Is there a more practical way to print this?  I have included a link to the .STL at the bottom.  Thanks again for all your help everyone.

Here is the link to just the file: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-laAoykFE-62a42MwFeE9EVBQ-BRzie3

Posted : 04/04/2020 6:26 pm
jzhdesigner
(@jzhdesigner)
Topic starter answered:
Posted by: @kennd

It is! I got it loaded into Prusaslicer. Wow. Lots of errors fixed and still a lot of reversed facets and edges. I think it broke the netfabb. 😀 This model has dozens  ( hundreds) of leaves sticking out. Hung at model fixing.

Thanks for helping!  Yes unfortunately there were still flipped triangles after fixing in Netfabb.  But it is now manifold.

Posted : 04/04/2020 7:05 pm
kennd
(@kennd)
Reputable Member

I couldn't get it be Manifold. How did you manage it? It looks like some of the tips of the leaves will need supports? Now that you managed to make it manifold, how are you going to print it? 4+ days. When I tried adding supports, I got a solid block. 🙂 Are you printing in a zero gravity environment, or using a soluble support? If you get a good print, be sure to post a pic of the results here.

Posted : 04/04/2020 8:09 pm
jzhdesigner
(@jzhdesigner)
Topic starter answered:

I couldn't get it be Manifold. How did you manage it? It looks like some of the tips of the leaves will need supports? Now that you managed to make it manifold, how are you going to print it? 4+ days. When I tried adding supports, I got a solid block. 🙂 Are you printing in a zero gravity environment, or using a soluble support? If you get a good print, be sure to post a pic of the results here.

It said in Prusa Slicer "Manifold: Yes".  Netfabb closed all the holes but it still had some errors I couldn't fix.  It's possible it's not entirely manifold though.  Blender crashed every time I tried to fix non-manifold (this is what I get for trying to make a 3D printable tree 🙂 ).  I wish I had a soluble support, but alas I don't have dual extrusion.  I was thinking tree supports but I don't think Prusa Slicer can do that.  I will post the finished product if it succeeds...been more than a month of work; practically 24/7 to make this lol; can't give up now.

Posted : 04/04/2020 8:20 pm
kennd
(@kennd)
Reputable Member

@jzhdesigner

I am importing stl file into my CAD program. It hates triangles. I suspect it will load in two or three days.

Have you considered splitting it up into 2 or more parts to 'fix it'? Or even print it! Some people here have some tricks to align the parts by using modifiers to make place for aligning pieces that the do before splitting an object with the slicer. I would have to search the forum for more details, or if you are interested, maybe one of them will share their method.

You have spent so much time on this, it would be a shame to have to abandon it. Modify? Maybe?

All the things you have tried are not failures but learning experiences. Each time, you learn what doesn't work.

My CAD program is very good at find holes, reversed faces, reversed edges, internal errors, etc in models. When it says it is happy, then I export stl.

Have you explored the slicing settings in expert mode > print settings > advanced I wonder if either  'slice gap closing radius' or 'resolution' could help you get a printable object. I have never tried either, but isn't that how we learn? 😀 

Posted : 04/04/2020 11:48 pm
kennd
(@kennd)
Reputable Member

My CAD program turned belly up trying to load stl.

In slicer, resolution did not help. Increasing slice gap closing radius allowed it to slice better.

Did you try using tree supports?

Two suggestions

Find someone nearby that will try to print it with soluble supports. Someone willing to tie up a printer for many days.

Go out to the garage and fire up your 'Selective Laser Sintering' 3D printer. 🙂 🙃 🙂 Print 2, and send one to me 😀 

Redesign the original model so that problematic leaves are printed separately and plug into trunk.

Check out 3D printing service providers.

I have destroyed some models using the standard supports where the protrusion bond to the main body was weaker than the bond to the supports. Lesson learned.

I am tapped out. ☹️ 

Posted : 05/04/2020 6:29 pm
jzhdesigner
(@jzhdesigner)
Topic starter answered:

@jzhdesigner

I am importing stl file into my CAD program. It hates triangles. I suspect it will load in two or three days.

Have you considered splitting it up into 2 or more parts to 'fix it'? Or even print it! Some people here have some tricks to align the parts by using modifiers to make place for aligning pieces that the do before splitting an object with the slicer. I would have to search the forum for more details, or if you are interested, maybe one of them will share their method.

You have spent so much time on this, it would be a shame to have to abandon it. Modify? Maybe?

All the things you have tried are not failures but learning experiences. Each time, you learn what doesn't work.

My CAD program is very good at find holes, reversed faces, reversed edges, internal errors, etc in models. When it says it is happy, then I export stl.

Have you explored the slicing settings in expert mode > print settings > advanced I wonder if either  'slice gap closing radius' or 'resolution' could help you get a printable object. I have never tried either, but isn't that how we learn? 😀 

Thanks for the encouragement @kennd...yes definitely not gonna give up on it.  I'm sure there's a solution, and you're right it's all learning.  To answer your question yes, I have split it in 2 parts.  I'm currently trying to see if I can split it into 4 parts and have it print on it's side (might print faster, have stronger leaves and require less supports).  I'm still trying to understand the expert settings...if I'm not mistaken "slice gap closing radius can reduce print times at the cost of resolution?  Seem like resolution is the similar.  I'm going to try those settings to see if it helps.

Posted : 05/04/2020 11:33 pm
jzhdesigner
(@jzhdesigner)
Topic starter answered:

My CAD program turned belly up trying to load stl.

In slicer, resolution did not help. Increasing slice gap closing radius allowed it to slice better.

Did you try using tree supports?

Two suggestions

Find someone nearby that will try to print it with soluble supports. Someone willing to tie up a printer for many days.

Go out to the garage and fire up your 'Selective Laser Sintering' 3D printer. 🙂 🙃 🙂 Print 2, and send one to me 😀 

Redesign the original model so that problematic leaves are printed separately and plug into trunk.

Check out 3D printing service providers.

I have destroyed some models using the standard supports where the protrusion bond to the main body was weaker than the bond to the supports. Lesson learned.

I am tapped out. ☹️ 

Wow these are a lot of suggestions thanks again!  Unfortunately don't know anyone else with dual extrusion and 3D printer businesses are really expensive here in Canada (also shuttered currently).  I may invest in another extruder though (maybe will look into laser sintering when it becomes affordable 🙂 ).  Nope, haven't tried tree supports yet.  Will have to figure that out in Meshmixer.  Too bad Prusa Slicer can't do that yet.  Think I have a lot of great settings to work with now.  Will let you know how it turns out.  Appreciate all your help!

Posted : 05/04/2020 11:41 pm
Share: