Software updates in standard Printer/Codes changes - does physical printers change also?

Notifications
Clear all

Software updates in standard Printer/Codes changes - does physical printers change also?  

RSS
Rolf
 Rolf
(@rolf)

I have created physical printers in prusa slicer 2.3. They run with Octoprint.

From time to time PrusaSlicers becomes small little updates with handling gcode and filament... will they also affect the own created printers or do I have to add them again to benefit from the software updates?

Thank you in advanced!

Posted : 18/01/2021 9:20 am
fuchsr
(@fuchsr)
Famed Member
RE: Software updates in standard Printer/Codes changes - does physical printers change also?

From what I've seen they do. The "physical printer" simply uses one of the printer profiles and adds connectivity information.

Posted : 18/01/2021 12:17 pm
Rolf liked
Rolf
 Rolf
(@rolf-5)
RE: Software updates in standard Printer/Codes changes - does physical printers change also?

Thank you for explaining that!

Posted : 18/01/2021 12:37 pm
Neophyl
(@neophyl)
Illustrious Member

Simple answer is yes.  There's a whole vendor profile inheritance system happening behind the scenes.  This works for all profile types, print, filament and printer.

If you use (or create) a profile that is based on one of the vendor profiles then an update to those can filter down to anything that is based on the profile that has been changed.  If you don't want Prusa (or other vendor) changes to effect your in use ones then you need to make copies and detach them from the system profiles.  At that point they become their own entity and upstream changes wont effect them.

The profiles have a dependency menu item (usually at the bottom of the lists).  In there are Detach from system preset buttons.  Some of the profiles need you to be at least Advanced mode to see the Dependency details.

Posted : 18/01/2021 1:59 pm
Share: