PrusaSlicer slower compared to S3D

Notifications
Clear all

RSS
Jucytec
(@jucytec)

I've been using S3D for since 4.0 and have been checking PrusaSlicer on each release. 

I can't figure out the speed difference between the 2 slicers. 

The XYZ Calibration Cube on S3D prints in 20 minutes. on Prusa Slicer 40 min.
Observing the print, I see the no matter what settings the Infill is printing really slow on PS vs S3D.  Infill speed is set to 200 on PS.

Let me know if anyone knows which magic setting will speed this slicer up. 

Best Answer by Neophyl:

Its under Filament settings>Cooling>Slow down if layer print time is below.  Its an expert setting so you must be in expert mode to see it.

This topic was modified 4 years ago by Jucytec
Posted : 26/03/2020 12:18 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member
RE: PrusaSlicer slower compared to S3D

Are you comparing slicer print estimates or actual print times? PrusaSlicer takes actual hardware capabilities (acceleration, jerk) into account whereas S3D does not, so the PS estimates will tend to be longer but closer to reality.

If you're comparing actual print times, we'd need to see your settings. If you want to save a S3D factory .FFF file and a PS project file, zip them and upload them here, more help may be forthcoming. 

From your description, the minimum layer print time feature may be kicking in. On a small print like a 20mm cube, this is a distinct possibility. Check out the cooling options under Print Settings.

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 26/03/2020 1:39 pm
Jucytec
(@jucytec)
Topic starter answered:

@bobstro

That setting sounds promising, i was comparing the actual print times.  yes, PS is very close in estimated and actual.  S3D estimates 17 minutes but actually finishes in 20min.  still it's about 50% slower.  Where can i find this ,"minimum layer print time"  I've gone back and forth on each option and cannot seem to find it.

Posted : 26/03/2020 3:50 pm
Neophyl
(@neophyl)
Illustrious Member

Its under Filament settings>Cooling>Slow down if layer print time is below.  Its an expert setting so you must be in expert mode to see it.

Posted : 26/03/2020 3:53 pm
Neophyl
(@neophyl)
Illustrious Member

a normal 20mm cube sliced for a mk3 with default 0.2mm Quality settings and Prusa PLA settings is about 38 minutes.  Using my normal PLA settings where I change below layer time from 20 to 5 seconds gives me an estimated time of 25 minutes.

Slicing for 0.2 Speed with my PLA settings still gives 25mins so I dont think the speed values allow it to get up to speed on such a small item.

Posted : 26/03/2020 4:03 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member

A word of advice on chasing "speed" settings: Acceleration and jerk values also have a huge impact when printing tiny test parts like 20mm cubes. Unless your end goal is to print 20mm cubes, use some larger parts that more accurately reflect the parts you intend to print. 50% differences on a 30 minute print may only add up to a 5% difference on a larger part. I speak from experience on this. Even if you're only experimenting in the slicer and not printing the parts, use bigger parts to see what "real world" values look like.

I adjusted Filament Settings->Cooling->Cooling thresholds->Slow down if layer print time is below value and am seeing 10-15 minute drops in print time with 20mm cubes. Of course, no telling how they'll look. S3D is also known for not allowing entry of actual hardware acceleration, jerk and other settings, so unless you've inserted a stanza of M20x commands to your S3D startup gcode, the values may be very different. Certainly the S3D time estimates will be off.

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 26/03/2020 4:31 pm
Jucytec
(@jucytec)
Topic starter answered:

Thank you all, the acceleration and jerk were all comparable, it was the cooling threshold.  i didn't expect it in the filament settings.  in S3D its under speed override for layers under x seconds.  I adjusted this to match my 8 seconds in PS and guess what.  21 minutes!  almost exactly the same as my S3D speeds now. 

Posted : 26/03/2020 4:52 pm
Share: