Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] print objects one by one  

RSS
l3art
(@l3art)
print objects one by one

Hello, I consider myself as a beginner, and always want to learn... 

So I was just looking some videos on youtube, and noticed some people were printing objects one after one. 

I use prusaslicer and when printing more objects at once, they are all printed at the same time, meaning all objects get layer 1, 2, 3. 

What are the advantages/disadvantages of doing it this way. Is there a possibility to do the object per object also in Prusaslicer?

Posted : 15/05/2020 6:23 am
Neophyl
(@neophyl)
Illustrious Member
RE: print objects one by one

Hiya Bartbries.  Yes it is possible to do that in Prusa Slicer.

The advantage of printing parts one by one as that if printing the whole plate at one go and you get a print failure then the whole plate is lost.  If you are printing individually then you can stop the print after the failure and you still have some successful parts.  I don't do it often as with a properly clean build plate its pretty rare for me to get a print failure.

Sometimes printing individually can also result in a faster print time as the extruder isn't travelling all over the build plate so you get some travel moves time saving.  It can also on printers with stringing issues reduce the strings between parts, although if you have that much stringing then you should be tuning the settings first to remove/reduce that anyway.

There are some limitations to the process though.  Firstly the parts must be printable without the extruder hitting the previously printed parts.  This means they are usually not that tall and/or must be spaced widely apart.

The settings you want are only available with Prusa Slicer in Advanced mode.  They are located in Print Settings> Output Options>Sequential Printing.  Its a tickbox called 'Complete individual objects' .  If you are in expert mode you can also see (and edit) the extruder clearance values which for a mk3 type printer should be set at a default Radius=45mm and Height=20mm.

The slicing algorithm for this still needs a bit of work but you need to position the parts left to right and front to back in print order.  They will print in the order that they are in the right hand tree parts listing.  With older versions of Slicer this was fixed at the order you added the parts but the recent 2.2.0 release allows you to reorder the list so you can control this print order now.

I think the last thing I used it on was a build plate full of buttons I was printing for the local group making covid face masks.

Posted : 15/05/2020 6:48 am
l3art
(@l3art)
Topic starter answered:

Hello, Thank you for your explanation! I tried to slice some objects, and indeed you loose lots of space on the print plate... 

Not sure that I am going it to use a lot, but at least now I know how to do this!

Posted : 15/05/2020 7:45 am
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member

There are limits to how large sequentially printed parts can be, but it can be handy for a variety of situations:

• You want to improve part quality by avoiding large bed moves between parts.
  • You want to print parts with different parameters.

I use this, for example, when testing printing parameters like retraction. In this print, each part is printed sequentially from front-left to rear-right, each with different retraction settings.

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 15/05/2020 2:17 pm
schoemer-bescheid
(@schoemer-bescheid)

Hello 

how did you change the parameters for retraction for each object individually in this case

Posted : 15/05/2020 3:50 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: @schoemer-bescheid

[...] how did you change the parameters for retraction for each object individually in this case

Definitely a hack. I created a printer profile with multiple extruders. Set retraction settings for each extruder separately, then assigned each part to a different extruder and printed individually.

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 15/05/2020 4:44 pm
Joey
 Joey
(@joey-2)
Estimable Member

What a great hack.

The cleverness of you and a few others on this forum make my day! Thanks.

Mk3 - 1X
Mk3S - 2X
2021 Hyundai Palisade
Wife - 1X

Posted : 16/05/2020 10:45 am
Share: