Notifications
Clear all

Preview UI Layer Slider  

RSS
ryan
 ryan
(@ryan)
Preview UI Layer Slider

I hope someone can answer this question. When you are in preview after slicing a model there is a slider on the right hand side. as you move the slider it make layers appear and disappear. The question I have is there are two number on the slider, one is height and the other I assumed was layer number but that seems to be incorrect. Does anyone know what this number is or what it represents?

Posted : 02/06/2020 1:46 am
Area51
(@area51)
RE: Preview UI Layer Slider

The numbers on the slider represent layer number and height in mm.

Have a look at my models on Printables.com 😉

Posted : 02/06/2020 7:48 pm
ryan
 ryan
(@ryan)
Topic starter answered:

@area51

That's what I thought at first as well. But when I load up the model I was trying to print according to the slider there are 1492 layers and the print is 173mm tall. Now the height is correct, the model should be 173mm when printing is finished. But if I do the math with a layer height of 0.30mm along with a first layer height of 0.20mm at 1492 layer that would come out to a finished height of 447.5mm. That's much taller than what I printed and taller than what the printer is capable of. Now if I do the math the other way using a layer height of 0.30mm and a first layer height of 0.20mm along with the finished print height of 173mm the layer count should be 577. 

Posted : 03/06/2020 2:07 am
Neophyl
(@neophyl)
Illustrious Member

Do you have supports enabled at all ?  In Slicer the support layer height is independent of the model layer height so it can show many more layers in the slider that what you would expect.  Either that or you have variable layer height enabled for the model.  

Posted : 03/06/2020 6:03 am
ryan
 ryan
(@ryan)
Topic starter answered:

@neophyl

Looks like you are correct. I just sliced the same model with the only difference being that I disabled supports and the layer count is much lower now. Kinda odd that the slicer counts print layers and support layers separate. Just seems more logical that the number should just be the layer height regardless of whether there are supports or not.

Anyway thanks for helping me clear that up.

Posted : 03/06/2020 6:33 pm
Share: