Notifications
Clear all

Need help with my slicer  

RSS
Andyge868
(@andyge868)
Need help with my slicer

I am trying to slice an apple pencil stand file in prusa slicer, the slicer turns the hollow middle to solid. How can I fix this?

Best Answer by Neophyl:

Try that.  No more non manifold edges.  Whoever did that model does not know how to design for slicing.  I suspect they did some form of boolean to get the pen well and it did not go right.  Theres was a load of invalid face geometry inside the model that made the best guess autofix screw up.  I manually stripped it out and merges some verts at the bottom of the pen well and now its fine.

Attachment removed
Posted : 26/01/2021 3:11 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member
RE: Need help with my slicer

Save your part & settings off in a 3MF project file, zip it up, and attach it to reply here. That way we can see both the STL and the settings you're using and can make better suggestions.

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 26/01/2021 3:21 pm
Neophyl
(@neophyl)
Illustrious Member

Agree with Bob.  Post the project here and we can take a look.

Although it sounds like the model is faulty.  If you are making an apple pencil stand its unlikely you are on windows 🙂 but if you are you can use the right click and fix through netfabb option to repair the model.  If not on windows  Netfabb have an online fix it service (basically what the slicer uses but more hassle to use).

With the project we can look at the model too and potentially fix it if that is the case.

Posted : 26/01/2021 7:33 pm
Andyge868
(@andyge868)
Topic starter answered:

Thanks guys, here is the file.

I am on a windows pc, so I tried the right click and fix through netfabb. It also turned the model into a solid. 

apple pencil stand

Posted : 26/01/2021 7:50 pm
Neophyl
(@neophyl)
Illustrious Member

I'm not surprised.  If netfabb cant fix it then the model is well and truly broken.  It has 52 non manifold edges.  Basically the entire top outside edge and the bottom of the hole arent solid.  Thats why any automatic repair is filling stuff in and also getting rid of the outside shell.  It basically just equates to a solid cylinder.

Let me see if I can manually repair it.  Might take me a little while though as its f**ked

Posted : 26/01/2021 9:19 pm
Neophyl
(@neophyl)
Illustrious Member

Try that.  No more non manifold edges.  Whoever did that model does not know how to design for slicing.  I suspect they did some form of boolean to get the pen well and it did not go right.  Theres was a load of invalid face geometry inside the model that made the best guess autofix screw up.  I manually stripped it out and merges some verts at the bottom of the pen well and now its fine.

Attachment removed
Posted : 26/01/2021 9:34 pm
Andyge868
(@andyge868)
Topic starter answered:

@neophyl

Thanks! this works now! 

Posted : 26/01/2021 10:15 pm
Neophyl
(@neophyl)
Illustrious Member

Cool , hope it prints fine. 
You really can’t rely on any model downloaded to actually be any good, even if it looks fine. It’s why it pays to learn at least the basics of at least one cad type program as at least you can fix things that way. 

Posted : 26/01/2021 10:22 pm
Share: