Notifications
Clear all

Fusion 360 to Prusaslicer  

RSS
l3art
(@l3art)
Fusion 360 to Prusaslicer

Hello, I am a beginner on 3d printing, I only have my MK3S printer a few weeks...

For my first bigger project, I wanted to create the enclosure for it. Printing the required pieces is not a problem.

However, I want to cover the screws with the same material as the parts for the enclosure.

So I designed a cover in Fusion 360:

The dimensions are 11 mm wide, and an wall thickness of 0.8 mm. The height of the bottom is 1 mm, total height is 3 mm...

I then opened it in Prusaslicer, at first it was on its side (still have to investigate how to fix this in the future...)

But I changed the orientation with place on face option...

But after slicing, all I get is some sort of disc, not a cover anymore.

So what am I doing wrong here?

Posted : 07/09/2019 5:44 am
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator
RE: Fusion 360 to Prusaslicer

Hi Bart, can you attach the object file, / STL for us to look at? 

You need to Zip it first!
See my attachment... it contains a 3mf file with two screw caps that are similar to yours, one has a chamfer around the head side.

regards Joan

Attachment removed

I try to make safe suggestions,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions, what you do, is YOUR responsibility. Location Halifax UK

Posted : 07/09/2019 9:34 am
l3art
(@l3art)
Topic starter answered:

Hello,

I tried your file, and that is slicing/printing fine... The head of the screws I used are a bit to big, but off course I can scale it just a little larger.

I also attached my STL file. Hope somebody can explain me what I did wrong, so I can learn from it...

Already thanks for your help!

Posted : 07/09/2019 12:20 pm
BillC
(@billc)
Reputable Member

To fix the orientation problem, in Fusion 360 go to preferences by selecting your name and make sure you have set Z-up and not Y-up. Then, when you sketch make sure you click on the X-Y plane before you draw your first circle.

It is possible you are not seeing the full result in PrusaSlicer if the slider on the right side of the preview page is not set all the way to the top.

Bill
Tagaytay City, Philippines
Founder member of Philippines Prusa Printer Owners FB Group
Sponsor Pillars of God Academy in Bacoor

Posted : 07/09/2019 12:23 pm
l3art
(@l3art)
Topic starter answered:

I will check the settings in Fusion 360 later today... I had a look again in prusaslicer, and the slider is all the way up, so it must be something else that I did wrong... 

I wonder if my upload of the Zipfile worked, as I cannot see it in my previous post, so here goes it again.

Posted : 07/09/2019 12:29 pm
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator

Hi Bart,

still Don't see the Zipfile, 

🙁

Joan

I try to make safe suggestions,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions, what you do, is YOUR responsibility. Location Halifax UK

Posted : 07/09/2019 5:11 pm
l3art
(@l3art)
Topic starter answered:

Hello, I guess I do something wrong, I just tried with the "Attach file" option.

Here's a link to my googe drive to that zip file.

@billcampbell: you were right, my  Y-axis was up. Changed it now, but still strugling a bit to get the object on the correct pane (x-y). Working with Fusion 360 is also new to me.  Everything I learned uptil now I learned via Youtube...

Posted : 07/09/2019 7:55 pm
BillC
(@billc)
Reputable Member

I had a look at the file and the wall is unfortunately only 0.4mm. I was able to get it to show up in PrusaSlicer by enabling 'Detect thin walls' on the Print settings tab.

Bill

Posted : 08/09/2019 1:04 pm
l3art
(@l3art)
Topic starter answered:

Ok, thx for your reply.

I didn't know that 0.4 was too thin. What's the minimum thickness to avoid this issue?

Anyhow, the model that Joantabb provided, with an upscale of 105% worked out fine!

Posted : 08/09/2019 2:32 pm
BillC
(@billc)
Reputable Member

Check the extrusion width setting in the PrusaSlicer Print settings | Advanced. Anything less than the External perimeter width will be below minimum. 

Bill

Posted : 08/09/2019 9:26 pm
l3art
(@l3art)
Topic starter answered:

Hello, thank you all for your responses. I guess there is still a lot for me to learn!!! 😉 

Posted : 09/09/2019 1:26 pm
SpikeUK
(@spikeuk)

Sorry for being late to the party,

Glad you got you immediate issues sorted. As for learning Fusion 360, it can be difficult to get to grips with initially, but once you get more familiar with it, it's fantastic. I've been teaching a friend the basics recently, and he has come to love it. Still more to teach him lol.

I would recommend the Fusion 360 YT channel https://www.youtube.com/user/AutodeskFusion360/videos Brad Tallis does a superb job.

Some other you may find helpful too are;

Desktop Makes https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxgunnLdsV72eAezHW6u0KA/videos

Makers Muse https://www.youtube.com/user/TheMakersMuse/videos

Yes, I learned a lot from YT too.

All the best

Posted : 20/09/2019 8:04 pm
Share: