Feature Request - Camera Control Icon like in Fusion 360

Notifications
Clear all

RSS
TopperHarley
(@topperharley)

I think it wouild be really handy to have some icon/gizmo to control the camera like in Fusion 360 (small cube in top right corner)

This topic was modified 3 years ago 2 times by TopperHarley
Posted : 19/12/2020 7:57 pm
fuchsr
(@fuchsr)
Famed Member
RE: Feature Request - Camera Control Icon like in Fusion 360

+1 this. 

Posted : 20/12/2020 1:11 pm
Neophyl
(@neophyl)
Illustrious Member

Its very easy to rotate/pan/zoom around the model parts with the mouse already, why would you need an on screen icon to do something that is more natural with a pointing device ? 

You can always get back to any of the cardinal views with the number pad to 'reset' if needed.  

Left mouse rotate, middle or right mouse to pan and scroll wheel to zoom.  

Posted : 20/12/2020 2:55 pm
TopperHarley
(@topperharley)
Topic starter answered:

@neophyl

Rotate/pan/zoom is pretty fine, but moving the camera in a specific orientation (e.g. to top or right side) is not really user friendly i think. 

(Yes i there is the View tab)

Here is a short video showing the view cube in action:

I think something like this is a very user friendly way to change camera positions.

This post was modified 3 years ago by TopperHarley
Posted : 20/12/2020 3:37 pm
Area51
(@area51)

There is also the option to invest in a 3D mouse like 3D SpaceMouse from Connexion - I know it is expensive, but you won't regret it as it works great in PrusaSlicer, Fusion360, Blender, FreeCAD, AutoDesk Inventor and a lot more...

Have a look at my models on Printables.com 😉

Posted : 20/12/2020 4:52 pm
Neophyl
(@neophyl)
Illustrious Member

I'm familiar with Fusion, my point was I can change to any angle already with the mouse and view the plater easily at any point.  I can also reset to one of the default views using the number pad.  So I can do everything that the fusion video does.  Without some other junky icon taking up screen real estate.  Faster and quicker too.  That was one of the 'features' I didn't like about fusion, having to move the mouse to the top corner just to change my view.  What a waste of time.  

I prefer Blenders way which is very similar to the way PS works.  Yes Blender has a similar 'gizmo' for view port angles to fusion but you don't have to use and and its one of the first things turned off.

Learning to 'move' your viewpoint around 3d space is one of the best things you can pick up when dealing with ANY 3d modelling process including slicing.  Its more a mental knack than the specifics of hows it achieved.  When it clicks though your productivity/speed goes way up.

However if you want something added or changing in PS then the correct place to make requests is over at the Prusa Slicer github repository https://github.com/prusa3d/PrusaSlicer/issues .  It will get an issue number and be tracked then.  It will even get seen by the devs.  Along with the 1700 other open issues. 

Posted : 20/12/2020 6:51 pm
Durahl
(@durahl)
Estimable Member

@area51

Can only recommend their Hardware! I own both a SpaceMouse Enterprise ant the previous gen SpacePilot Pro I started with and I can honestly say working in a 3D Workspace Environment without a 6-DoF Controller like theirs has become unimaginable to my ever since 😨

Posted : 24/12/2020 3:54 pm
Share: