Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Export settings  

RSS
l3art
(@l3art)
Export settings

Hello, I am about to re-install windows on my pc. (It has become very slow)

What is the best way to get all PrusaSlicer settings that are configured now on the new setup. I have seen there are 2 ways of exporting configs, but when I look into the generated files, I have the impression that not everything is in there... All advice is more than welcome. I am creating a backup of all my userdata at the moment...

Posted : 27/07/2020 2:46 pm
Neophyl
(@neophyl)
Illustrious Member
RE: Export settings

The best way is to export a configuration bundle. This export will contain all your custom and altered (saved) profiles for print, filament and printer. It will not contain any of the standard ones though. 
You then install on the new machine as usual, run through the wizard etc and then once all the defaults you choose are in there you can then do a config import to get all your saved custom ones. 

The other way is to find your configuration folder and copy the folder entirely.  Then install and once installed copy the configuration folder  over the top of the installed one.  Method 2 means you don’t need to run through the wizard to get the default profiles.   You do need to find the folder though and restore it to the correct place on your new machine.  Depending on your operating system and the user account details used on both machines the locations could vary slightly.  
Which method you use depends on how comfortable you are with navigating around the user/system folders on your machines.

I usually run config bundle exports periodically anyway and save them to a usb stick as  a backup as you can always get the system profiles back at any time from a fresh install or the wizard.  

Posted : 27/07/2020 3:21 pm
pmu liked
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: @neophyl

[...] I usually run config bundle exports periodically anyway and save them to a usb stick as  a backup as you can always get the system profiles back at any time from a fresh install or the wizard.  

Definitely a good idea!

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 27/07/2020 3:38 pm
l3art
(@l3art)
Topic starter answered:

@neophyl

Thank you for your response. It is working! I have used the second method (copying the entire folder).

However, I will start exporting the settings on a regular base!

Posted : 28/07/2020 5:42 am
Peter Peter
(@peter-peter)

@neophyl

on 2, what sort of filename and extension am I looking for? Thank you 🙂

This post was modified 3 years ago by Peter Peter
Posted : 19/03/2021 4:30 pm
Share: