Notifications
Clear all

Disable Bridge Infill  

RSS
Scott
(@scott-16)
Disable Bridge Infill

I am very new to PrusaSlicer.  I am used to using Simplify3D.  That is what I am comparing this to.  I am simply printing a benchy to get all my settings dialed in for all my printers.  I have a Prusa printer on order, and so I figured I would try getting all my printers using PrusaSlicer.

One thing I noticed is that the Bridge Infill seems to be causing some issues.  In this case, the bottom of the Benchy has words, but they are being filled in by the bridge infill.  I know this because in preview, if you turn off the view of the bridge infill, you can then see the fill vanish from in the words.  Extremely minor, but annoying.  It concerns me that in other prints I do, this setting is going to fill in things I don't want filled in as well.

See photo.  Shows it sliced by Simplif3D and then PrusaSlicer.  How can I stop this from happening?  I know they don't have a way to turn this feature off.  They really should.  But is there anyway I can "trick" the system into not doing this?

Any thoughts or ideas would be great.  So far, I am really liking this Slicer, but this single feature is bugging me.  

Posted : 30/10/2020 1:40 am
--
 --
(@)
Illustrious Member
RE: Disable Bridge Infill

You have something else going on - that isn't the slicer's fault.

Posted : 30/10/2020 6:31 am
Scott
(@scott-16)
Topic starter answered:

@tim-m30

Well, I would argue that it is.  Since the model prints fine using slicers (Simplify3D) on the same printer and same spool of filament.  It may be a setting I set, but it is the slicer that tells the printer how and were to print.  Hence I came here for help with finding the setting that may be wrong.  The rest of the Benchy printed flawlessly.  Just the words on the bottom are filled in.  If that is not the Slicer, then I don't know what it would be telling the printer to fill in the words?

When you look at the preview in PruseSlicer, it SHOWS the words filled in.  When you match the color in the legend, it says it is Bridge Infill.  When you click on the Bridge Infill in the legend, it hides the Bridge Infill from the model view.  All the fill in the words vanishes.  That to me, tells me that the SLICER is filling the words with Bridge Infill that I can't find how to turn off.  See screenshot.

So if it is not the slicer, then what is doing this?

-Scott-

Posted : 30/10/2020 1:13 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member

Looking at your S3D result, I'd say your Live-Z is too high. The bottom layer should be smooth with few or any gaps between extrusions.

Your PrusaSlicer results looks as if your Live-Z is too low. The 1st layer is squished so much that the 2nd layer appears to be printed almost on the bed.

That's all that's readily apparent from a fuzzy pic. It would be helpful if you could save your settings out as a 3MF project file, zip it and attach it to a response here so we can verify your settings. It is unusual that Live-Z "moves" between slicers unless you've got a slicer setting to adjust it up or down.

In preview mode, it can appear that the bridging is printing on the bed:

If you pull down the layer slider, you can confirm what is actually printed on the bed:

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 30/10/2020 2:56 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member

Just to confirm: You are running PrusaSlicer (2.2, 2.3?) and printing on a Prusa i3 Mk3, correct? The Mini has "floating Live-Z" issues in some circumstances.

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 30/10/2020 3:03 pm
Scott
(@scott-16)
Topic starter answered:

@bobstro

I am using PrusaSlicer 2.3.  This was because it has the paint on supports (which 2.2 doesn't have).  Without that feature, I wouldn't even consider leaving Simplify3D.  Also no, my Prusa printer has not arrived yet (on back order at the moment).  I am trying to get experience with PrusaSlicer before it gets here.  The printer I used above is Creality Ender 5.  I was under the impression you can use PrusaSlicer with any 3D printer, it is just easier with a Prusa printer.  Is that not the case?

Posted : 30/10/2020 6:33 pm
Scott
(@scott-16)
Topic starter answered:

@bobstro

I didn't think anything is wrong with the Simplify3D version.  All the benchys I have printed over the last few years are glass smooth (including the one above).  That is how they look, not only on the print, but also in Simplify3D preview.  Never thought anything was wrong since that is how they render and have always looked, and have been pretty smooth and flawless.

Reviewing the prints, everything looks fine to me for z-offset.  I am getting good bed adhesion with the right amount of squish.  Not too much, and not too little.  I will try creating another profile in PrusaSlicer and use one of my other 3D printers not currently printing to see if I get the same results or not.  This would rule out the printer itself.    None of my printer profiles /gcode (in any slicer) are setting z-offset.  That is all stored in the printers.

-Scott-

Posted : 30/10/2020 6:41 pm
--
 --
(@)
Illustrious Member

If I were to guess at what's happening - and this is a big if - I'd say the boat on the right was printed too high. Then there' the single perimeter around the letters on layer one -- not sure how to even do that unless resolution is adjusted way low = again - guessing.  But the prints were clearly not a MK3 or a Mini.

The boat on the right - the slicer version - looks like it was either printed from altitude and the bed was hot enough to melt and fuse the plastic, or, layer one was so thin it virtually vanishes when layer two went down.  In both cases, not a slicer issue.

And Prusa Slicer does have a layer 1 setting.  It might be you have it set to the default 0.2 mm and are printing 21.5 mm layers, so it "disappears" as layer 2 is printed.

Save the Slicer project as a .3mf, zip it, and post it here. 

Posted : 30/10/2020 6:59 pm
--
 --
(@)
Illustrious Member

the boat on the left - the slicer version .. sheesh

This post was modified 3 years ago 2 times by --
Posted : 30/10/2020 7:07 pm
Scott
(@scott-16)
Topic starter answered:

@tim-m30

Looking at that setting, right now I have it set for layer height 0.15, and First layer height is set for 105%.  You think that may be the issue?  When that printer is free, I will try the benchy again with it set to the same as the layer height.

-Scott-

Posted : 02/11/2020 1:20 am
Share: