Can you have 2 instances of Slicer running?

Notifications
Clear all

RSS
jweaver
(@jweaver)
Honorable Member

I constantly swap back and forth between my MK3 and Mini.. And one of the things I hate about Slicer is that when you change the printer, it re-loads the default settings.

I had an idea recently to open TWO instances of Slicer and have one set for the MK3 and one for the Mini.. And it works.. Atleast I thought so.

But the 2nd instance seems to run a lot slower than normal.. When I duplicate objects it often goes of to think for a while and on one occasion crashed.

Today I have added an object to the FIRST instace of Slicer and what should take 2nd to slice is taking minutes and my CPU is maxed out.

It Slicer designed to have many instances running?

Posted : 03/06/2020 9:10 am
Area51
(@area51)
RE: Can you have 2 instances of Slicer running?

It is possible to start multiple instances of PrusaSlicer but they all uses the same configuration files. I think this is the problem you experiences.

Using the "--datadir" option on the PrusaSlicer command will set the location of the configuration files and it will be possible to have more than one configuration, even on a server (see Slic3r manual).

Maybe that will solve the issue.

Have a look at my models on Printables.com 😉

Posted : 03/06/2020 9:52 am
jweaver
(@jweaver)
Honorable Member
Topic starter answered:
Posted by: @area51

It is possible to start multiple instances of PrusaSlicer but they all uses the same configuration files. I think this is the problem you experiences.

Using the "--datadir" option on the PrusaSlicer command will set the location of the configuration files and it will be possible to have more than one configuration, even on a server (see Slic3r manual).

Maybe that will solve the issue.

I am not sure I want (or need) "different configs". I currently have 2 instances of Slicer open.. One has the MK3 profile loaded.. And one has the Mini.. And they both appear to work and do their job, producing successful prints...

But they just appear slow and freeze occassionally..

Are you suggesting changes I am making in one instance are affecting the other? so if for example I setup a job on the MK3 instance with 0.2mm layers, it will affect another I am doing on the Mini instance with 0.1mm layers (just an example)?

Posted : 03/06/2020 10:04 am
Area51
(@area51)

I was looking for common resources that the two instances of PrusaSlicer could be fighting for. Some of the configuration files are used by both instances - if kept open it could be a conflict slowing things down. With --datadir set to two locations this can be avoided and a test to see if configuration files is the problem.

There can be other shared resources, but I haven't the insight into PrusaSlicer internals to locate them.

Posted : 03/06/2020 10:15 am
MonoTovarisj
(@monotovarisj)

You really should be able to open several projects in one instance of prusaslicer, I want to copy settings back and forth and it's a pain to have to open and close your projects all the time.

Posted : 27/07/2020 2:00 pm
Area51
(@area51)

It is possible to open more than one instance of PrusaSlicer. If started from the desktop, just shift double-click it to get the second instance.

Posted : 27/07/2020 7:05 pm
Share: