Can I have more than One Printer Profile in Prusa Slicer?

Notifications
Clear all

RSS
DRGRS74
(@drgrs74)

I have a new Prusa Mini.  I also have a six-year-old RepRap i3 printer.  I have not seen a way to add a second printer to Prusa Slicer.  I don't want to set up the Wizard for my old i3 and then find out I have deleted the Mini's profile.  If I run the Wizard and add my i3 will it allow me to have two printer profiles?

Posted : 10/08/2020 5:55 pm
3Delight
(@3delight)
Moderator Moderator
RE: Can I have more than One Printer Profile in Prusa Slicer?

Yes you can have more than one Printer Profile installed at once.

Posted : 10/08/2020 6:01 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member

You can create a new profile 2 ways:

1. Simply modify an existing printer profile and save it with a new name.
  2. Run the Configuration Assistant (under the Configuration menu) and specify a custom printer profile. You can define the basic printer properties there. You'll want to spend some time checking out things like custom gcode, retraction settings after the basic profile is defined.

Neither of these will modify or delete your mini profile. However, PrusaSlicer can make backups of your configs, and it's always a good idea to store a set in a safe place.

A good place to start is to connect to your "other" printer with a terminal program, pronterface or other program that will let you interact with the firmware. Issue an M503 gcode command (or equivalent for your printer) and you should get a dump of basic printer capabilities, including steps per unit, maximum feed rates, acceleration & jerk and PID settings. These are a starting point, and tend to be optimistic, so experiment with lowering the values to ranges you are comfortable with given your past experience with the printer.

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 10/08/2020 6:12 pm
You liked
DRGRS74
(@drgrs74)
Topic starter answered:

@3delight

Thank you very much!  I just got my Prusa Mini about a week ago and I have had non-ending problems with it.  At first it printed a model very well.  Then the Mini failed to print enough filament to make a second model.  It continually carved holes in my filament and would not print.  I adjusted the extruder idler tension repeatedly and finally got it to print again.  I printed two more good prints.  Then I went through a couple days wasting my time adjusting the extruder, cleaning it, taking it apart and cleaning it, on and on and on.  I finally abandoned any hope I could print with my old PLA, so I tried to print with the Prusament samples that came with the Mini.  Again, purging worked, but even getting a layer height adjustment to print on the bed was very, very frustrating.  I finally got the layer height adjusted well and tried to print again.  And, as before, the prints would start out well and then the filament would fail to extrude.  The extruder kicked both intermittently and constantly.  No amount of adjusting the tension would stop the extruder from kicking.  Finally I stripped the plastic inside of the idler part and spun the inserted steel nut.  Now I have to print a new R4 part on my old Omega, hopefully to get the Mini running well enough to print the part.  Not to complain, but I am getting very weary of wasting days trying to get the Mini to settle down and just print.

This post was modified 4 years ago by DRGRS74
Posted : 10/08/2020 6:54 pm
Share: