Notifications
Clear all

100% fill not efficient  

RSS
m2tts
(@m2tts)
Trusted Member
100% fill not efficient

I have 100% fill set for a part, but the preview looks as if its trying to maintain wall thickness instead of just putting 100% fill in. This is doubling the moves the extruder is making to fill in the walls. I have the setting for "Ensure vertical shell thickness" unchecked which I thought was causing the problem.

Posted : 01/10/2020 9:36 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
RE: 100% fill not efficient

You are right and despite popular belief, 100% infill does not mean solid.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 01/10/2020 10:14 pm
Nikolai
(@nikolai)
Noble Member

@mark-m30

Most likely the object geometry is causing this issue. You can try to re-mesh it (with meshmixer or similar tool).

Often linked posts:
Going small with MMU2
Real Multi Material
My prints on Instagram

Posted : 01/10/2020 10:30 pm
m2tts
(@m2tts)
Trusted Member
Topic starter answered:

@nikolai-r

I don't see why it would be the geometry that is the issue, as clearly the slicer knows where the boundaries of the geometry are as seen in the perimeters being made. It looks to me as if the unchecked "Ensure Vertical Shell Thickness" is being ignored, otherwise, why wouldn't the infill go all the way across the inside instead of only halfway?

Posted : 01/10/2020 11:52 pm
Nikolai
(@nikolai)
Noble Member

@mark-m30

You might have verticies, edges, faces hidden in the object. Something you don’t see in the slicer. But during slicing they are being used. I’m not saying it does apply in this case but I’ve seen already pretty strange slices because of that issue. 

Was just a suggestion what you might try.

Often linked posts:
Going small with MMU2
Real Multi Material
My prints on Instagram

Posted : 02/10/2020 12:00 am
m2tts
(@m2tts)
Trusted Member
Topic starter answered:

@nikolai-r

That is a good suggestion, no worries. I have checked the mesh and there are no interior surprises in it. I re-sliced it setting the bottom layers to 50 and now I get the expected behavior. I don't understand why 100% infill wouldn't do the same thing.

Posted : 02/10/2020 12:40 am
Area51
(@area51)

I think this is the same problem as discussed here: https://forum.prusa3d.com/forum/prusaslicer/avoid-solid-infill-near-sloping-walls/

PS likes to support sloped walls with wiggled infill.

Have a look at my models on Printables.com 😉

Posted : 02/10/2020 10:30 am
Neophyl
(@neophyl)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: @area51

I think this is the same problem as discussed here: https://forum.prusa3d.com/forum/prusaslicer/avoid-solid-infill-near-sloping-walls/

PS likes to support sloped walls with wiggled infill.

I agree with Area51, its a known problem, without anyway of turning it off currently as no setting changes the behaviour.

Posted : 02/10/2020 11:12 am
Share: