Notifications
Clear all

slicing and printing 150-350 micron channels  

RSS
amegbel
(@amegbel)
slicing and printing 150-350 micron channels

hi.

I have recently acquired a "Prusa SL1" to use in my project. unfortunately I am facing a problem and require some guidance.  I am trying to print a model that has two channels, each is 11mm long and 150 to 350 micron in diameter. but after slicing the printer just prints everything except the micro-channels.  

any idea how to overcome this issue.?

"Using 3DM-Tough resin transparent"

thanks

Posted : 20/10/2020 6:47 pm
Michael
(@michael-4)
Trusted Member
RE: slicing and printing 150-350 micron channels

Please orient your channels vertically so resin runs out of the channels as you print. Otherwise stray UV may cure resin which has pooled in your channels.

Also, viscosity (gluginess) of resin increases as resin gets cooler. This is why the SL1 gives a warning when the ambient temperature is below 19 degrees C. I have printed down to 3 degrees C, no problem, but the resin doesn't flow as easily. Consequently you may find that if you preheat your resin that it flows easier. I think 25 degrees C would be fine, but you should check the Safety Data Sheet that came with your resin to make sure the temperature you preheat to is safe.

Posted : 22/10/2020 8:29 am
amegbel
(@amegbel)
Topic starter answered:
RE: slicing and printing 150-350 micron channels

Thanks for your help. 

Definitely the orientation is a key factor in this process. There is a big difference in the print out between vertical and 45 degree. 

The new thing is the temperature, which definitely changes the viscosity and I learned that from using epoxy resin.  Now the prusa sl1 doesn't come with a heater for the resin but the cw1 does have a heater.

I have two different resins all clear, one is the 3DM tough and the other one is the anycubic rapid..  I do believe there is a difference between them but I'm still experimenting.. 

Question is.. 

Do all resins support resolutions lower than 0.05 like 0.025 or lower but not recommended ?

Thanks. 

Posted : 22/10/2020 3:03 pm
Share: