Notifications
Clear all

What's the best method to join UV resin parts?  

RSS
chrisbloom7
(@chrisbloom7)
What's the best method to join UV resin parts?

I'm using my SL1 to print tabletop miniatures. I am loving the detail I can get with this printer, but I'm finding the printing pieces to be really brittle once cleaned and cured. I have a few pieces that broke already, one from a fall of about 3 feet, one that broke while removing surrounding supports, and another that broke after bumping it with my arm while moving things around. I've been trying to repair them with a couple different varieties of Gorilla Glue, but so far none have successfully bonded the pieces together. What's the recommended method for repairing/joining two pieces of printed UV resin? In this particular case I'm using Prusa Tough Grey resin.

Separately, is brittleness indicative of not enough or too much curing, or something else? Or is it just a natural property of resin? I have a bunch of PLA printed miniatures that have far less detail (sadly) but much more resiliency.

Prusa MK3S/MMU2S
Prusa SL1/CW1

Posted : 01/01/2020 3:25 pm
Area51
(@area51)
RE: What's the best method to join UV resin parts?

What about using the same resin as glue and UV cure it... I would try that.

Have a look at my models on Printables.com 😉

Posted : 01/01/2020 4:25 pm
WarandPeace
(@warandpeace)

I have been using standard CA Glue and have had little trouble.  I use Bob Smith Industries CA and it works quite well.  I do like the idea of using a little of the resin and UV curing it to glue things together though that could be challenging unless you have a UV light that can concentrate the light and penetrate through highly opaque objects especially black resin parts.

Posted : 02/01/2020 4:49 am
chrisbloom7
(@chrisbloom7)
Topic starter answered:

I'm skeptical about the resin/UV curing trick because I'm not sure how I'd secure these parts together while it's curing. They are pretty tiny pieces. I just ordered some CA glue and will give that a try when it arrives next week.

Prusa MK3S/MMU2S
Prusa SL1/CW1

Posted : 03/01/2020 8:51 pm
Area51
(@area51)

If the parts are tiny, there will not be a problem with the curing. Using resin is just like UV glue, lots of time to prepare the parts and remove excess glue - use a UV LED lamp to get the parts to stick together (just hold them in place). I used YouTube to get tips & tricks using UV glue.

Final curing can be done in the UV light curing chamber for the resin printer.

Have a look at my models on Printables.com 😉

Posted : 04/01/2020 1:09 am
Share: