Notifications
Clear all

flexible resin  

RSS
Matt
 Matt
(@matt-15)
flexible resin

Hi all, What has your experience been like with the Prusa flexible resin? I would like to try and get a semi flexible resin for my prints, but was wondering if I could add a dye to this to get different colours for example too or maybe mix it with the prusa tough resin to get a semi flexible print if possible? Thanks!

Posted : 11/07/2020 11:16 am
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator
RE: flexible resin

Hi Matty, 

with the correct dye's you can tint Resin for the SL1!

I tinted Opaque Orange, to make a greeny colour. 

I have successfully added flexible resin to tough resin and ended up with semiflex... 

I have added clear resin to tinted resin and ended up with semi translucent resin

Initially I bought  the Monocure tinting kit

https://www.amazon.com/Monocure-3D-Pigment-Printer-Resins/dp/B07G1ZBDBX

I have also used Chinese tints with success

Regards Joan

I try to make safe suggestions,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions, what you do, is YOUR responsibility. Location Halifax UK

Posted : 11/07/2020 5:13 pm
Matt
 Matt
(@matt-15)
Topic starter answered:
Posted by: @joantabb

Hi Matty, 

with the correct dye's you can tint Resin for the SL1!

I tinted Opaque Orange, to make a greeny colour. 

I have successfully added flexible resin to tough resin and ended up with semiflex... 

I have added clear resin to tinted resin and ended up with semi translucent resin

Initially I bought  the Monocure tinting kit

https://www.amazon.com/Monocure-3D-Pigment-Printer-Resins/dp/B07G1ZBDBX

I have also used Chinese tints with success

Regards Joan

Hey Joan,

Thank you for the reponse, thats awesome! 😀

I will have to get mixing then! What kind of flexible resin did you use to get the semi flex result? I was would be using the prusa tough resin and then either the clear flex resin by prusa or the Monocure flex 100, would both of these be fine for mixing do you think, and did you have to change the stock curing times as a result of mixing?

I have only just recently got my SL1 so still learning 🙂

Thanks!

Posted : 11/07/2020 9:11 pm
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator

@mattyice

I used a Chinese flex, because it was low cost and available...    bought it a long time ago so don't recall it's name. 

Other users say Flex 100 is good. I have not used it. 

I think low temperature has more effect on needing  longer initial cure time, I guess if you went to high numbers for admix items (dye's and powder pigments), you might need to  increase the initial cure time.  

I try to be sensible and tint colours rather than colour resins...    if you want black resin, Clear is probably not the best starting point! 🙂

regards Joan

I try to make safe suggestions,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions, what you do, is YOUR responsibility. Location Halifax UK

Posted : 11/07/2020 9:32 pm
Wilko
(@wilko)
Eminent Member

@joantabb "I have successfully added flexible resin to tough resin and ended up with semiflex... "

Would you mind sharing what the amount of flex was that you added to standard tough resin?
I've been playing with Prusa Azure Blue, Tough Black and Anycubic Black this past week, finally starting to get pretty consistent quality prints, but they are way too brittle for my liking. Would adding 10% flexible resin to standard resin be enough of a change to change that, or did you add more?

Prusa MK3S
Prusa SL1
Prusa CW1
Anet ET5 pro
Anycubic Mono X

Posted : 13/01/2021 7:42 pm
Share: