Notifications
Clear all

How to replace the blower fan in the SL1  

RSS
AndrewH
(@andrewh-2)
Eminent Member
How to replace the blower fan in the SL1

Has anyone yet replaced the blower fan in their SL1?

I was having the blower fan error, which was fixed by the 1.3 beta firmware. At the time, I diagnosed a failed fan with a multi-meter and Prusa sent me  replacement fan unit. However, as the printer was working at the time, I put off installing the replacement. Now the printer just won't get past the error and I have to bit the bullet. I've installed all the firmware versions, now it's on 1.4. I wasn't looking forward to it, as the fan is quite hidden inside. I've checked the assembly instructions again, and the blower fan goes in quit early on in the process.

I wondered if I can draw on others' experiences and perhaps save me disassembling a large part of the components just to get the new fan in.

Posted : 11/07/2020 5:30 pm
AndrewH
(@andrewh-2)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:
RE: How to replace the blower fan in the SL1

Update: I've proved the new fan will fix the problem. I plugged it in externally. That is, I unplugged the installed fan from the control board and connected the new one while it sits on the table alongside. Replaced the cover as far as I can. The fan spins and the print has just started. Obviously I can't leave it like that, not the least as the UV light escapes around the cover edges and I'd rather not go blind.

My wish is to install the new fan with the minimum of disassembly. All suggestions welcome.

Posted : 12/07/2020 3:31 pm
Jakub Dolezal
(@jakub-dolezal)
Member Admin

Hi,

there is a guide for the replacement: https://help.prusa3d.com/en/guide/how-to-change-a-blower-fan-original-prusa-sl1_127607

Assembly manuals

/ Knowledge Base
The guy behind Prusa assembly manuals...

Posted : 06/08/2020 11:40 am
AndrewH liked
AndrewH
(@andrewh-2)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:

Thank you Jakub. I will follow this procedure and let the forum know how I get on.

Posted : 06/08/2020 12:32 pm
AndrewH
(@andrewh-2)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:

Late update. I have successfully replaced my blower fan and the SL1 is now working perfectly. Thank you for the guide, which explains perfectly the procedure. It took me about an hour to complete, working steadily and checking each step.

Posted : 21/12/2020 12:38 pm
Share: