Notifications
Clear all

Turn MMU2s into automatic spool reloader  

RSS
Victor Martini
(@victor-martini)
Turn MMU2s into automatic spool reloader

Hello, 

I was wondering if that possible to use the MMUs to get (almost) infinite filament loader. 

For example: put 5 spools with the same filament, then start a huge super long print when filament on spool 1 is empty automatically switch to the second spool to continue the print then when filament on spool 2 is empty automatically switch to the third spool to continue the print .... etc  and when spool 5 done, automatically come back to the spool 1 ( obviously we need to change spool 1,2,3,4 ) 

If we could do that we can make an infinite loader with a minimum human intervention for a big production or huge prints.

I tried to modify the Gcode but all failed, I cannot know when the spool will end, so I need the filament sensor to return it to me and start the loading on the next filament.

Please let me know if you see a solution with customized Gcode or something else ? 

Thanks,

Victor

Posted : 31/08/2020 4:27 pm
vintagepc
(@vintagepc)
RE: Turn MMU2s into automatic spool reloader

That feature is already there, it's called spooljoin. 

People have used it with mixed success, but you'll need to clip the end of the spool's filament if yours has a hook in it from where they attach the end to the spool, or it will get caught and jam on unload. 

Posted : 31/08/2020 5:22 pm
Victor Martini
(@victor-martini)
Topic starter answered:

Thanks for your answer but spooljoin is not a satisfying solution, it sounds like a patch-up job. 

I think with the MMU and the Prusa filament sensor It can be safer and highly increase the success of the operation especially when we do a long print. 

Posted : 01/09/2020 3:05 pm
Nikolai
(@nikolai)
Noble Member
Posted by: @victor-m9

Thanks for your answer but spooljoin is not a satisfying solution, it sounds like a patch-up job. 

I think with the MMU and the Prusa filament sensor It can be safer and highly increase the success of the operation especially when we do a long print. 

SpoolJoin function is pretty straight forward and works like a regular filament change function. Don't see anything "patchy" here.

Do you have anything specific in mind? How do you envision this function in detail?

Often linked posts:
Going small with MMU2
Real Multi Material
My prints on Instagram

Posted : 01/09/2020 8:21 pm
vintagepc
(@vintagepc)

I'm not sure how it's not a satisfying solution. It literally does exactly what you want based on your description. If you're referring to my clipping the end comment, no amount of software can fix a problem with the filament.

Posted : 02/09/2020 12:02 pm
Share: