Notifications
Clear all

Cabling e MMU2S with connector for a quick maintenance  

RSS
daniele.d2
(@daniele-d2)
Cabling e MMU2S with connector for a quick maintenance

I want to share my mod used for a quick maintenance of the MMU2S unit.
The target of this mod is to have the capability to remove the entire unit without disassembling the printer control unit.
Disclaimer: The mod is just a basic connector installation. If it doesn't work for you probably it is because of a mistake. I will not be responsible in any case of damage of your printer.

Required capability: experience in soldering wires and connectors.

Material:
1 * 9Pin DSUB Male
1 * 9Pin DSUB Female
2 * 9Pin DSUB Covers (if you like you can print yours from using some STL from internet)
Heat shrink tubing (8 pieces with a small diameter)
Soldering and cutting tools.

Procedure:
1. Consider to have the MMU2S properly intalled and working.
2. Switch off the printer and remove power cord.
3. Cut the MMU2S wires that connect the main control unit to the MMUS2S at properly distance (may be more or less in the middle but  consider that in the chassis you will find some drills that can be used to fix the caps wih a screw, see picture at the end).
4. Solder the wires coming from the printer to the connector (male or female is the same) You can follow my numbering as example.
          Pin 1: Black (don't care which one)
          Pin 2: Red (don't care which one)
          Pin 3: not connected
          Pin 4: White
          Pin 5: Brown
          Pin 6: Black (don't care which one)
          Pin 7: Red (don't care which one)
          Pin 8: Blue
          Pin 9: Green

5. You will see the number of pins printed on the connector, or check on internet.

Note: to avoid acidental short cirtuits is important to install the heat shrink tubing on each wire that you solder. You need to cover the welding and a portion of wire platic cover.

6. Remove the MMU2S and solder the pin coming from this unit to the other connector following the same numbering of step 4.

7. Now install the MMU2S and attach the connectors. Check once again the wires color continuity from one connector to the other.
8. Install the D-SUB Covers, reconnect the power cord, and happy printing.

Posted : 01/04/2020 5:15 pm
fjkraan and liked
fjkraan
(@fjkraan)
Eminent Member
RE: Cabling e MMU2S with connector for a quick maintenance

Quite a while ago I did the same. The best mod I ever applied. Simple switching between MMU2 and plain MK3S operation.

This post was modified 4 years ago by fjkraan
Posted : 05/04/2020 7:29 pm
nimaim
(@nimaim)
Trusted Member

So this is to bypass the MMU2S? Or something else? I achieve that by two very simple (and printable) mods: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3286954 to make the mount more horizontal and https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3211711 to easily access everything. By doing so, you can EASILY unplug the MMU2S power connector (which is to the second to the far right next to the signal connector) as the connectors are all now right in front of you. I do this all the time and load filament externally.

Posted : 25/05/2020 11:23 pm
You liked
Pedja
(@pedja)
Trusted Member
Posted by: @nimaim

By doing so, you can EASILY unplug the MMU2S power connector (which is to the second to the far right next to the signal connector) as the connectors are all now right in front of you. I do this all the time and load filament externally.

I have MMU2S but have not assembled it yet. One of the reasons I am holding back is I see lot of people complaining on its unreliability. So, I am not familiar with configuration.

If we add switch to MMU power cord is that enough to turn it off and use printer as MMU is not installed?

Posted : 26/05/2020 9:25 am
nimaim
(@nimaim)
Trusted Member
Posted by: @pedja
Posted by: @nimaim

By doing so, you can EASILY unplug the MMU2S power connector (which is to the second to the far right next to the signal connector) as the connectors are all now right in front of you. I do this all the time and load filament externally.

I have MMU2S but have not assembled it yet. One of the reasons I am holding back is I see lot of people complaining on its unreliability. So, I am not familiar with configuration.

If we add switch to MMU power cord is that enough to turn it off and use printer as MMU is not installed?

In my experience, yes. If power to the MMU2S is not applied (either unplug the cable or solder a switch inline to it), the printer starts up as a normal MK3S. The only change you would have to make it to load filament externally outside the MMU2S setup, which I have another tube for and load from up above with one of Prusa's provided spool holder trays. My MMU2S filaments are stored in a drybox and loaded from underneath through the buffer. I print in the MK3S configuration about 90% of the time, but I use the MMU2S from time to time for multi material and spooljoin (where it will start printing the next spool after filament runout).

There are many ways to easily disable MMU2S power. This seems to be one of them.

Posted : 26/05/2020 1:33 pm
daniele.d2
(@daniele-d2)
Topic starter answered:

I did this mod for maintenance reasons, not just for disabling the unit.

Sometimes you may need to remove MMU2S for fix something.

If your printer is located into an enclosure, IKEA in my case, unplugging the native cable connector may be a problem.

Posted : 26/05/2020 1:45 pm
nimaim
(@nimaim)
Trusted Member
Posted by: @daniele-d2

I did this mod for maintenance reasons, not just for disabling the unit.

Sometimes you may need to remove MMU2S for fix something.

If your printer is located into an enclosure, IKEA in my case, unplugging the native cable connector may be a problem.

Ahh ok that makes more sense. Thanks for the clarification. And mine is also in a LACK enclosure but my use case is just to disable and enable power when necessary, I don't really ever take the unit out.

Posted : 26/05/2020 2:03 pm
thomas.g42
(@thomas-g42)

Here‘s my version - I used a GX12 6pin plug attached to the Einsy housing; works perfect!

Posted : 07/07/2020 4:47 pm
thomas.g42
(@thomas-g42)

Posted : 07/07/2020 4:48 pm
thomas.g42
(@thomas-g42)

Posted : 07/07/2020 4:49 pm
Corfam
(@corfam)

@daniele-d2

Can you please share which model you used for the D-Sub Covers? The ones I find seem to be larger (longer) than the version shown in your photo which are probably suited for a crimped version of the connector. I'm looking for a cover with the smallest profile that fits the soldered version.

Great mod, by the way. Thanks.

Posted : 22/07/2020 9:26 pm
daniele.d2
(@daniele-d2)
Topic starter answered:

Thanks @corfam.

I've used this from thingiverse.

Daniele

Posted : 23/07/2020 5:07 am
Corfam
(@corfam)

@daniele-d2

Thanks for responding and for the pointer.  It's appreciated!

Posted : 23/07/2020 7:30 pm
Share: