Frequent clogging with Verbatim BVOH  

  RSS
ettore.b
(@ettore-b)
Active Member

Hi Everybody,

I'm trying to pritn with PLA + Verbatim BVOH and the BVOH is clogginv quite easily during the change PLA->VBOH

This is because the retracted BVOH filament hase sometimes a "ball" end

I'm currently printign with Slic3r standard PLA+Solubile suppoert interface

I also hear some "saw" noise when the BVOH filament is extraced during the BVOH->PLA change

Someone experineced something similar?

 

thanks in advance

 

best regards

 

 

Posted : 09/05/2019 7:32 am
toaf
 toaf
(@toaf)
Noble Member

the last time I used BVOH  I think I had to make the purge block bigger.

and I think I also made the layers bigger. it's been awhile.

but I am about to try pla and using petG for support material. 😀  why not try right?

I have a Prusa,therefore I research....
Posted : 09/05/2019 8:27 am
michael.s106
(@michael-s106)
Active Member

I tried PETG/PLA.

They are perfect as support for each other - if you get the printer working with it. 
The MMU does not like different nozzle temperatures (PLA starts stringing and clogs).

Make your Purge Tower big. I had problems with layer adhesion. Maybe because the PLA was not purged out completely and messed with the layer adhesion of the PETG.

I document everything here. I will add some more improved settings during the next two days.

Posted : 09/05/2019 3:30 pm
daniel.c14
(@daniel-c14)
Active Member

I have tried nearly everything I can think of to print with BVOH as support in my MK3S MMU2S - both as full support and soluble interface.  The problem seems to be that BVOH does not survive multiple filament changes.  Eventually strings or blobs create a problem and clog the extruded, sometimes so badly as to wrap around the extruder gear.  Sometimes I can rescue a print temporarily by unclogging and resuming only to have it need attention a few minutes later.  I can do multi PLA prints successfully so the MMU2S is otherwise functioning properly.  I can print with all BVOH (though why would I?) so the MK3S prints fine.  But when making multiple filament changes, BVOH eventually fails, then repeatedly fails.  I have tried different suggested print parameters — changing cooling moves, changing retraction amount and/or speed, changing print speed, etc.  The Verbatim has been dried — twice.  I had hoped that the change from MMU2 to MMU2S would help, but no.  If anyone has a solution I (we all) would greatly appreciate it.  I am eager to successfully print with soluble supports.

...
Posted : 22/05/2019 9:05 pm
Flaviu
(@flaviu)
Estimable Member

First of all the purge volume should be high enough for bvoh. At least 100 mmm^3 (usually I use 140). Also it might help to dry bvoh in the oven (50-60°C for at least 3 hours). 

Posted : 23/05/2019 10:26 am
ryan.k17
(@ryan-k17)
Active Member

Im am having these same issues.  I appreciate the advice, but there has to be a better way than putting it in the oven every time I want to print with BVOH.

Posted : 25/05/2019 1:17 am
hhughes
(@hhughes)
Active Member

Did anyone ever figure out a solution?

Posted : 09/10/2019 10:55 pm
daniel.c14
(@daniel-c14)
Active Member

As you can read in this short string of comments, there has been no solution offered for this problem and it hasn’t received much interest from printers or Prusa.  Perhaps few other people are having a problem with BVOH or soluble supports.  Perhaps no one uses soluble supports — I sure don’t try anymore.  Perhaps there is a solution which no one is sharing with us.  I have stopped looking and experimenting for now, but am disappointed with lack of response.

...
Posted : 10/10/2019 2:28 am
hhughes
(@hhughes)
Active Member

The sad thing is, I have friends with different printers who use soluble filaments all the time without problem.  This is really disappointing. 

 

Posted : 10/10/2019 2:32 am
Share:

Please Login or Register