MMU2S & Spool Join function may lead to a collision

Notifications
Clear all

RSS
Robert4711
(@robert4711)

I used the "Spool Join" feature and it worked and changed from filament #5 to #1. So good so far.

But the nozzle interrupts printig and moves to the right front of the building area and extracted a small amount of the filament from the old (empty) spool. The filament is extracted in the air above the plate. Then the rest of the old spool is removed back to the MMU2S and is replaced by the filament from the new spool. Again a amount from the new filamanet is extruded in the air. Then the printer wants to continue - but unfortunatly the material extracted during the spool change is no lose - it is attached to the noozle (lager amount).

So and used my hand to remove the material from the noozle to avoid collision. Has somebody an idea what can be done to avoid this?

As it is I wouldn't use any longer the feature "Spool Join", because the risk of a collision is too big.

With regards Robert4711

Posted : 08/04/2021 10:27 am
Yveske
(@yveske)
Estimable Member
RE: MMU2S & Spool Join function may lead to a collision

AFAIK you have 2 options:
- Mount a brush to wipe the nozzle  (collapsible and to be deployed at a safe height between nozzle and bed)
- Enable a draft shield around your piece which will catch the debris

Having problems with bed adhesion every morning...

Posted : 08/04/2021 3:54 pm
Robert4711
(@robert4711)
Topic starter answered:

@yveske

At first many thanks for your fast replay.

The idea with the shield is a solution, but how high should this shield be and how many filament is required for the shield. So my concern is, that a good shield costs more filament as can be saved.

The idea with the brush seems quite better. But this requires that the extruder  moves during the "Spool Join" always to the same X-Loaction (most too the left or right). If there is a metall brush at the same high as the extruder - it may work. So I will keep this idea in mind.

Tanks again.

This post was modified 3 years ago by Robert4711
Posted : 09/04/2021 11:25 am
Yveske
(@yveske)
Estimable Member

@Robert4711 Addendum:
- Purge bucket system:
- The shield is the same height as your model (Print Settings - Skirt and brim - Skirt - Draft shield)

Having problems with bed adhesion every morning...

Posted : 09/04/2021 3:40 pm
Share: