IR Sensor issues after MMU upgrade - sensor read 0 on retract while filament still loaded

Notifications
Clear all

IR Sensor issues after MMU upgrade - sensor read 0 on retract while filament still loaded  

RSS
Beta42
(@beta42)

Hello All,

It took me quite a while to figure out what was going on with my printer.  I had upgraded my printer with the MMU2S and calibrated and printed a bunch of petg parts for the enclosure, switched over to PLA and all of the sudden I was facing the loop of load and unload filament.  I ran through everything I could find on the subject, but to no avail. the issue actually got worse.  As the subject indicates it started acting very odd so I checked the sensor itself and it was working fine, in the end it was the shaft on the bondtech gear the moves freely on the door that triggers the sensor.  The issue was the shaft is a little smaller than ideal and had moved over far enough to allow the gear to move and therefore not move the door consistently.  It was most noticeable when I realized any retract action caused the sensor to read 0 with the allen wrench still all the way in.  In any event I re centered the shaft and the gear can no longer be pushed back in but a great solution would be a slightly larger shaft that cannot be displaced in this manner.

I hope this keeps someone else from dealing with this frustrating problem.

Thanks

Posted : 30/09/2020 7:55 pm
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member
RE: IR Sensor issues after MMU upgrade - sensor read 0 on retract while filament still loaded
Posted by: @brian-a21

Hello All,

It took me quite a while to figure out what was going on with my printer.  I had upgraded my printer with the MMU2S and calibrated and printed a bunch of petg parts for the enclosure, switched over to PLA and all of the sudden I was facing the loop of load and unload filament.  I ran through everything I could find on the subject, but to no avail. the issue actually got worse.  As the subject indicates it started acting very odd so I checked the sensor itself and it was working fine, in the end it was the shaft on the bondtech gear the moves freely on the door that triggers the sensor.  The issue was the shaft is a little smaller than ideal and had moved over far enough to allow the gear to move and therefore not move the door consistently.  It was most noticeable when I realized any retract action caused the sensor to read 0 with the allen wrench still all the way in.  In any event I re centered the shaft and the gear can no longer be pushed back in but a great solution would be a slightly larger shaft that cannot be displaced in this manner.

I hope this keeps someone else from dealing with this frustrating problem.

Thanks

Hello and welcome to the Prusaforum!

Thank you very much for your report on this problem. This can be helpful for many users in the future and can save a lot of work and sorrow.

happy printing!

Statt zu klagen, dass wir nicht alles haben, was wir wollen, sollten wir lieber dankbar sein, dass wir nicht alles bekommen, was wir verdienen.

Posted : 30/09/2020 8:40 pm
Share: