Notifications
Clear all

"feature" request- please fix the UI  

RSS
Joel
 Joel
(@joel)
"feature" request- please fix the UI

I know the MMU2S is essentially a prototype, but the mystery-meat UI does not help the frustration of getting this thing to work. 
Left, middle, and right control button doesn't tell me anything useful. I know the buttons are contextual, doing different things at different times, so labeling them isn't that simple. But maybe some clear documentation on their functions would be nice. I've had to dig around to find that (the handbook has some of it but not everything), which sucks in the middle of a failing print. 
Indicator lights at each filament location are nice, but why use weird morse code blinking for error messages? We already have an LCD! Can't it just send human-readable alerts, instructions, etc. to the LCD? Most failures probably follow a fairly predictable pattern, so troubleshooting could happen directly on the LCD... I see this happened, try this and let's see if that fixes it... etc.
Better yet, ditch the LCD and knob for all but the lowest-level info (printer state, maybe temperatures, e-stop) and use either: 1. USB to a computer with a rich interface, or 2. wifi on board serving a web control panel to any local mobile device (or desktop for that matter) for a rich UI on a high-quality screen/device you already have.

ps- speaking of the knob, why does it have a pointer? It doesn't point to anything and you don't need extra leverage. Also, is it that hard to make the detents in the encoder line up to actions on the LCD? It's close... most of the time each detent equals one line scrolled, etc. but not always. For example I've tried to navigate to a file on the SD card and gotten to the line I want but the knob barely fell into the next detent. As I pressed the knob to select, it jumped down one line at the last moment and selected the wrong file.

Posted : 27/09/2020 3:58 pm
AnnieR
(@annier)
Reputable Member
RE: "feature" request- please fix the UI

It has a pointer so you can spin it with your finger to dial something up or down. 

Posted : 27/09/2020 4:59 pm
Joel
 Joel
(@joel)
Topic starter answered:
RE: "feature" request- please fix the UI
Posted by: @dmr436

It has a pointer so you can spin it with your finger to dial something up or down. 

That's fair I guess. I'll probably print a new one without the pointer, but I get it.

Posted : 27/09/2020 5:19 pm
Share: