Clear all

Printer permanently on?  

RSS
Durahl
(@durahl)
Estimable Member
Printer permanently on?

Greetings!

Today I installed a Toshiba FlashAir Card to my i3 MK3S to ease my walking back and forth between the Printer and my PC in order to get files on and off the SD-Card.

Now... The concept works only if I'd leave the printer on at all times otherwise the SD-Card will be offline which wouldn't be an issue if it weren't for the Stepper Motors to be, apparently, energized at all times the second the printer has power AND fairly warm to the touch?

Coming from a DIY CNC System also making frequent use of Steppers I'm aware for Steppers to be able to heat up depending on the config and being fairly heat resistant too to the point where touching them isn't an option anymore but unlike with the i3 MK3S Steppers getting warm while the machine is basically living a NEET ( Not in Employment, Education or Training ) life of a machine my CNC's steppers remail cool to the touch even while working their ass off.

So yeah...
Q1: Is the i3 MK3S Steppers getting warm while the machine is idling around doing nothing working as intended?
Q2: Would it cause an issue with the i3 MK3S if I were to leave it on at all times to benefit from my WiFi SD-Card?

Bonus-Q3: Uploading files to the SD-Card while it's installed in the i3 MK3S will not "refresh" it's content to the Printer unless I remove and reinstall it - In the Settings Menu I actually found an SD Card option for [flashAir] which I've enabled but it doesn't help with this issue - Actually I don't know what it does, to begin with.

Posted : 11/09/2019 6:39 pm
gnat
 gnat
(@gnat)
Noble Member
RE: Printer permanently on?
Posted by: Durahl

Q1: Is the i3 MK3S Steppers getting warm while the machine is idling around doing nothing working as intended?

Intended? Yes.

The issue is that even when not printing the idler stepper is engaged at all times to hold the idler in place. There is an open issue in GitHub against the MMU firmware project to have them fix this as not only does it waste power, it is noisy too.

Q2: Would it cause an issue with the i3 MK3S if I were to leave it on at all times to benefit from my WiFi SD-Card?

It wastes power since the motor is engaged at all times and if you are in the room with the printer it can be annoying as it is not silent like the base printer is when it's idle. Logically it would also be reducing the lifespan of the motor, but I'm not sure if it is doing so in a measurable manner.

I work from home and my printer is in my home office. I used to leave my printer on 24/7 regardless of if it was printing. After adding the MMU, however, I turn it off after it's cooled down if I don't plan to be printing again soon as the "hiss" is just too annoying and I can hear it over the music I normally have playing.

Bonus-Q3: Uploading files to the SD-Card while it's installed in the i3 MK3S will not "refresh" it's content to the Printer unless I remove and reinstall it - In the Settings Menu I actually found an SD Card option for [flashAir] which I've enabled but it doesn't help with this issue - Actually I don't know what it does, to begin with.

Never used a FlashAir so I can't answer, sorry.

MMU tips and troubleshooting
Posted : 11/09/2019 8:07 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: Durahl
[...]

I ran a FlashAir setup for months. As I recall, I worked around the problem by navigating into another subdirectory to force a refresh. I normally have at least one subdirectory on the SD card for diagnostic prints, so this was easy enough.

I can say, however, that replacing the balky FlashAir setup with Octoprint was one of the best productivity and life quality gains of my 18 month 3D printing career.

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 12/09/2019 1:54 am
Durahl
(@durahl)
Estimable Member
Topic starter answered:

Just thought I'd report back on my FlashAir experience...

For whatever the reason it now works as expected without the requirement of un- and remounting the SD-Card after a file was uploaded though I have NO IDEA why it now works since I don't recall having changed a thing since opening my question - Other than leaving the MK3S on all the time.

A blessing If I may say so...

Posted : 16/09/2019 9:55 pm
Antimix
(@antimix)
Reputable Member

I have a FlashAir SD from day one, and zero problems.

I have the FlashAir option ON in the config, and do not keep the printer on when I do not plan to print. I did not understand why you need to keep the PRUSA always on. 🤔 

My FlashAir is not in AP mode, but is in CLIENT mode connected to the home wireless, and I can see it, and connect to its IP, from any device at home, without disconnecting from my default network.

When I need to print something, I just turn the PRUSA on, and PREHEAT it. While I wait it is going to temperature, I connect to the SD from my PC running PrusaSlicer, and drop the files to print. The issue that caused the "not refreshed file system"  was corrected since a couple recent firmware updates. Keep in mind that also the FlashAir firmware version of your FlashAir can have its own culprit.

Mine is VERSION=F15DBW3BW4.00.02

Regards

Posted : 16/09/2019 10:33 pm
Durahl
(@durahl)
Estimable Member
Topic starter answered:

While I haven't actually tested it I'm pretty sure that the Printer being powered ON a requirement for the SD-Card to be accessible in the Network.

My workflow usually is like this:

1. A wild Idea has appeared! - It was super effective.
  2. Go to PC and start 3D Modelling - Maybe for hours.
  3. Convert 3D Model to STL.
  4. Send STL 3D Printer via Network SD-Card.
  5. Walk to 3D Printer and start Print.

I rarely know if 3D Modelling will be a thing for minutes or hours thus preheating the Printer and subsequently turning it on beforehand is not always an option in my workflow and getting of my Modelling Rig and to the Printer to turn it on to send the file is about as roundabout as going to the printer and fetching the SD-Card just to go back to the PC and load it onto it - Something I wanted to get rid off xD

I think the only other option would be by getting a Smart Power Plug for the 3D Printer to turn it on/off from a distance but alas I do not know of any Swiss Type J 12/13 compatible ones that work with the Philips HUE System I use so I'd have to use a German CEE 7/4 + 7/3 one with at least one adapter which is kinda a P.I.T.A. xD

Concerning the FlashAir SD-Card, I set mine to Mode 5 and it's running the latest Firmware.

Posted : 17/09/2019 4:42 pm
Nikolai
(@nikolai)
Noble Member

I think for your purpose I would rather use Raspberry Pi. Most likely it's even cheaper then a remote controlled power plug 😉 

Often linked posts:
Going small with MMU2
Real Multi Material
My prints on Instagram

Posted : 19/09/2019 8:57 pm
bobstro liked
Share: