Clear all

No problems with MMU2S  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
Steven Naslund
(@steven-naslund)
Eminent Member
No problems with MMU2S

I have a MK3S and did some browsing here before purchasing the MMU for it.  It looked like there were a lot of problems but I decided to give it a shot.  I am glad I did because mine is working great.  I have printed about 20 objects with a total of several thousand filament changes and had one total MMU fault which cleared immediately.  Here is why I think the unit is working well.  Note that this is built per the manual with no mods and the stock buffer.

1.  Make sure the printer is working PERFECTLY before attempting the MMU upgrade.  That means all the calibrations especially first layer and extrusion multiplier for the filaments you use.

2.  Make sure you get the MMU parts completely cleaned up before assembly, especially any holes that the filament passes through.  Use a piece of filament to verify they are all clear.

3.  Make sure the IR sensor calibration at the extruder is good.  I played with this a bit to ensure the filament is detected every time.

4. Use good quality filament.  My tests were done using Prusament PETG and Atomic PETG.  I know Prusament is pricey in the US but I would recommend you get it to test with before you try others.  Do not buy from Amazon, the reseller is ridiculously overpricing.  Buy from Prusa direct.  You cant really complain effectively to Prusa unless you use their filament first.  I suspect many MMU problems are filament related.  I run right in the middle of their recommended temps.  Atomic has worked just as problem free for me.

5.  I did not tighten the buffer tubes at the buffer much at all.  I can still pull them out by hand which makes filament loading easier anyway.  There is a lot of talk about eliminating drag which sounds OK but there is no need to obsess about it.  I can easily pull filament through all the tubes until I feel it land at the MMU.

just wanted to reassure folks that the MMU can work well.

Posted : 28/10/2020 6:01 pm
stewartr, Lize and liked
Lize
 Lize
(@lize)
Estimable Member
RE: No problems with MMU2S

Thanks for posting, I have the MMU which I haven't installed yet so helpful to get tips before hand.

Posted : 28/10/2020 8:04 pm
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: @snaslund

I have a MK3S and did some browsing here before purchasing the MMU for it.  It looked like there were a lot of problems but I decided to give it a shot.  I am glad I did because mine is working great.  I have printed about 20 objects with a total of several thousand filament changes and had one total MMU fault which cleared immediately.  Here is why I think the unit is working well.  Note that this is built per the manual with no mods and the stock buffer.

1.  Make sure the printer is working PERFECTLY before attempting the MMU upgrade.  That means all the calibrations especially first layer and extrusion multiplier for the filaments you use.

2.  Make sure you get the MMU parts completely cleaned up before assembly, especially any holes that the filament passes through.  Use a piece of filament to verify they are all clear.

3.  Make sure the IR sensor calibration at the extruder is good.  I played with this a bit to ensure the filament is detected every time.

4. Use good quality filament.  My tests were done using Prusament PETG and Atomic PETG.  I know Prusament is pricey in the US but I would recommend you get it to test with before you try others.  Do not buy from Amazon, the reseller is ridiculously overpricing.  Buy from Prusa direct.  You cant really complain effectively to Prusa unless you use their filament first.  I suspect many MMU problems are filament related.  I run right in the middle of their recommended temps.  Atomic has worked just as problem free for me.

5.  I did not tighten the buffer tubes at the buffer much at all.  I can still pull them out by hand which makes filament loading easier anyway.  There is a lot of talk about eliminating drag which sounds OK but there is no need to obsess about it.  I can easily pull filament through all the tubes until I feel it land at the MMU.

just wanted to reassure folks that the MMU can work well.

It is a variation to hear for once that the MMU2 can also work 👍 , which mine does by the way 😊 .
If you assemble it carefully, remove all burrs and fine tune it (including sensor and spring tension) and of course optimize the slicer software, there should be no problems. Some small changes regarding the cutting blade and rear PTFE seat I have changed and I am using 4/2.5 PTFE tubes.
What the MMU2 does not like is too much ambient heat. So I would not recommend to use over a long time it in an enclosure with e.g. 45 degrees C. ambient temperature. I tried it and after a few months of operation the MMU2 board was gone. In a cooler environment, I no longer had any problems in this regard.

Statt zu klagen, dass wir nicht alles haben, was wir wollen, sollten wir lieber dankbar sein, dass wir nicht alles bekommen, was wir verdienen.

Posted : 28/10/2020 8:29 pm
Lize liked
Lize
 Lize
(@lize)
Estimable Member

@karl-herbert

The ambient heat is interesting to know, I've recently finished a cabinet made from a computer server rack and am going to be printing ABS and running around 45C.  I'd been thinking of running disconnected for TPU but do you think that it would be OK doing ABS like that and the heat won't have so much an affect with the MMU powered off?

Thanks

Posted : 28/10/2020 8:38 pm
Steven Naslund
(@steven-naslund)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:

Here is more on my environment.  I built the Prusa Lack enclosure and I print PETG and PLA with the doors open.  My room itself is at 73 f.  I havent had problems so far.  I think the only reason I would run ABS is if smoothing is important.  For my usage, I think PETG is my favorite filament.

I mainly wrote this because I know from being in the IT industry is that people don’t post if everything works fine and I think that can give people the impression that the MMU is a bad product.  I have built several 3D printers over the years including a Rostock Max.  All of them needed tweaks but Prusa has been the best “out of box” experience.  I think it is a mistake to sell the MMU bundled with a new printer kit.  Too much to go wrong.  I think its critical to know you have built a great stock printer before you move on to the MMU.  Some people struggle just to get the basic printer working first.  Simple stuff like getting a good extruder calibration and first layer are absolutely critical or nothing further will work right.

Posted : 28/10/2020 9:30 pm
Lize and liked
Steven Naslund
(@steven-naslund)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:

As far as the MMU board being temperature sensitive, I had not heard that.  I suppose an enterprising person could extend all of the MMU cable out of the enclosure but I would try to confirm first that the temperature is really a problem. After all they designed the Lack enclosure and they run the MMU inside.  The electronics failure is too hard to diagnose as being temperature related unless Prusa sees this trend across many MMUs.  Some electronics experience a young death because the board had an inherent fault to begin with.

Posted : 28/10/2020 9:35 pm
Lize liked
Lize
 Lize
(@lize)
Estimable Member

@snaslund

I agree, I've had my printer running for quite a while now and am happy with the set up, I bought both at the same time but purposely delayed adding the MMU.

I haven't tried ABS as I've only just finished my cabinet and would also stick with PETG but want to do smoothing for a range of planned prints.

Posted : 28/10/2020 9:37 pm
Lize
 Lize
(@lize)
Estimable Member

My ABS projects aren't exceptionally large so think I will print some before I install the MMU and then will give it a go with the MMU in place but not used and chance that board failure doesn't happen.

Posted : 28/10/2020 9:40 pm
Steven Naslund
(@steven-naslund)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:

All motor drivers run hot because of the current they are handling so the question is whether the enclosure really makes the motor drivers hotter than they get anyway.  Prusa should have some data on the ambient temperature range of the MMU board.  If not, they should know the temp range of the touchiest component.

In my opinion I would look for an ABS alternative unless the smoothing thing or some other ABS property is mandatory.  Anything run at higher temperatures has a shortened life span compared to thing run at lower temps.

Posted : 28/10/2020 9:42 pm
Steven Naslund
(@steven-naslund)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:

@lize

I would run the wheels off of it right away.  You want to know if that MMU will die while under warranties.  I would ask Prusa support if its OK to run at 45C, keep the response, do your test.  If it fails, Prusa owns it.

Posted : 28/10/2020 9:44 pm
Lize liked
Lize
 Lize
(@lize)
Estimable Member

I don't think the MMU2 should be a problem in a heated enclosure, the Lack modification instructions only mention that its better to move the power supply:

https://blog.prusaprinters.org/mmu2s-printer-enclosure_30215/

I've put the PSU in the bottom of the cabinet and when temperature testing if the top half gets up to 35C the bottom is around 10C lower.  I've ordered a heater bulb to try to get the temperature higher.

If the bottom half gets a bit too hot then I've got the option to heat insulate between the 2 areas or move the power supply outside with a connector.  I was trying to avoid having to disconnect it if I want to take the removable sides off although PLA prints fine with them on.

I might have a bit of time tomorrow so will run a small ABS print at the highest temperature I can currently achieve to see what its like 😀 

Sorry, got a bit off topic, will report back if I experience any problems post MMU install.

Posted : 28/10/2020 10:24 pm
Steven Naslund
(@steven-naslund)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:

Although it is weak evidence, Prusa recommended moving the power supply out of the enclosure but did not say to relocate MMU electronics.  Personally I would just ask them to state the allowable ambient temperature to avoid warranty problems.  Also, I have run a lot of ABS in the past with no enclosure at all so I would consider trying minimal heat in the enclosure and see how it goes.  Good bed adhesion and maybe a brim might be a better answer.

Posted : 29/10/2020 1:47 pm
Lize liked
Wheart
(@wheart)

In my case not the electronics failed due to temperature but poorly set IR sensor had problems with "softened" cheap PETG.

I'm using LACK enclosure (but table-top, not free-standing), with few customisations:

• I've thrown away original buffer,
  • replaced PTFE seat at MMU rear with one with PC4 couplers - continuous tube between MMU and spool stand has large advantages and increases modularity
  • I use "self rewinding" filament spools together with custom stands (models on my PrusaPriters page, together with filament cleaner/spool-side PTFE fixture),
  • I moved power supply outside of the enclosure with detachable (6 pole connector) cable.

To the last point a few words of disclaimer: I'm using six pole Anderson Powerpole connector. Contacts are rated 4 x 30A for two 24V supply lines, 2 x 15A for PowerPanic (smaller contacts to make them easier to solder to thin PowerPanic cable) - in theory it gives LARGE margin for safety compared to infamous burning printers from PRC, connector is modular (so arranged in 2 x 3 layout, it fits hole intended for mains cable in original enclosure design - IEC plug) and can be connected only in one way (so minimizes risk of misalign). As there are spare cable wraps in MMU kit, I've used them to make whole thing looking nice 😉 Together with PC4 connectors at the rear of the MMU unit, it makes removing printer from an enclosure for maintenance (or enclosure clean-up) much easier.

Posted : 19/11/2020 1:50 am
pablo
(@pablo-2)
mmu2s is not working for me and I an very upset about it.

thats the worst machine a bought, lost my money

Posted : 27/12/2020 8:37 pm
jsw
 jsw
(@jsw)
Famed Member
Posted by: @pablo-2

thats the worst machine a bought, lost my money

Have you been in touch with support on this?

The MMU2S is indeed a bit quirky, but I know first hand that it will perform as expected if assembled and operated properly.  Prusa should be able to help you if it will not do what it's intended to do.

Posted : 27/12/2020 9:52 pm
Dps
 Dps
(@dps)

I am new to 3D printing and bought a MK3s+ and an mmu2s. When I read the negative comments about it I got cold feet about installing it.  I went ahead anyway and it went smoothly. If you are on the fence I would say give it a try. I use it is “single” mode most of the time without issue. I use g-codes for printers without it by loading the filament to the extruder before loading the file. So far so good. I am glad I forged ahead. Fwiw 

Posted : 28/01/2021 1:11 pm
_FirstLayer
(@_firstlayer)
Eminent Member

I did the same thing; I bought my MK3S-kit and MMU2S together but I build the mmu2s somewhat later, so I cloud first get to know my MK3S. When reading all the negative comments, I hesitated to build the mmu, because my printer was working so well and I didn't want to mess things up. I build the MMU2S anyway, carefully following the instructions, and it's running really well. I don't use the filamentbuffer, instead I use the Gravity spoolholders by Michal Fanta with the NoClunk remix by Highrise Workshop. I also use the PTFE Holder by vertigo235. Untill now, I've only had a one real fail, one of the grub-screws from the pulleys worked itself lose (the print did finish correctly after I tightened it again). I regularly check them since then.

Just wanted to share also, that the mmu2s really can work well and that I'm very happy with it too!

Posted : 24/02/2021 11:24 am
EJTH
 EJTH
(@ejth)
Eminent Member

I have the same experience as you OP. I ordered the MMU2S and a Prusa at the same time however and just assembled it all in one go as I already have several reprap printers (And because I got the MMU2 package first on a friday and the printer on a %¤%"¤## monday!).

After figuring out how to properly prepare the filament tip for insertion it just works! (BTW, i don't cut it sharply, rather I heat it up slightly with a lighter and pull to make a taper and then cut off the end string.

I also found out that if you have problems with filament feeding fine to the extruder, but not going to the bondtech gears, it can help to screw out the PTFE holder and then insert it during your first filament loading, after you inserted the filament (I guess it just keeps the PTFE tube better aligned).

I have not had much experience yet, but so far I have had zero problems printing in multicolor (albeit I only just had the printer up and running around midnight yesterday)

This post was modified 3 years ago by EJTH
Posted : 10/03/2021 12:44 pm
EJTH
 EJTH
(@ejth)
Eminent Member

I dont understand?! Someone replied to my previous post, but now it is awaiting moderation and the reply is gone?!

Posted : 10/03/2021 2:10 pm
Antonio
(@antonio)
Member Moderator
Posted by: @ejth

I dont understand?! Someone replied to my previous post, but now it is awaiting moderation and the reply is gone?!

I guess it is due to the edit. Approved now 😉

I'm not an expert. Ma parlo anche italiano 😉

Posted : 10/03/2021 3:07 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: