Notifications
Clear all

Feature Request: Spare Filament  

RSS
prus-19
(@prus-19)
Feature Request: Spare Filament

A great feature of the printer is, that it detects the end of filament and pauses the print to let the user provide a new filament roll.

Even better would be, if PrusaSlicer would allow to to specify a "Secondary Extruder" for an object. Printing should by default start with the regular Extruder specified, and when it runs out of filament switch over to the secondary.

That whould help a lot, especially on very long prints. Currently I do one, and I know that in a few hours I will run out of filament and need to change. If I could just tell the printer, once Slot 1 runs out, retract the remaining bit of filament and then continue with Slot 2, the print could finish unattended.

Posted : 28/02/2020 5:54 am
kpreid
(@kpreid)
Trusted Member
RE: Feature Request: Spare Filament

This already exists (for single material prints only). If you turn on the “SpoolJoin” setting on the printer, then it will automatically switch to the next slot when the current filament runs out.

Posted : 28/02/2020 5:59 am
vintagepc
(@vintagepc)
RE: Feature Request: Spare Filament

Worth noting success rates vary though - Many spools have a small kink at the end where the filament went through a hole in the hub of the spool. This is likely to cause jams when attempting to retract the leftover filament...

Posted : 28/02/2020 2:31 pm
Share: