Anyone have success with a TPU multi material print?
First, I know TPU is not "officially" supported with MMU2S, but the whole point of open source is to "open" new doors.
With the new 3.9.0 firmware out and filament "cutting" now operational, has anyone tried mixing TPU with PLA/PETG? 0Calvin has a video of a successful print, see:
that includes adding the Semiflex TPU filament profile in the MMU2S printer profile as well as tuning speeds/temps but wanted to gauge tips / tricks / comments here.
I'd love to leave TPU in one of my five filament slots but if it's going to have constant issues loading / unloading due to how soft it is, I'll continue to load it in manually.
The ability to combine tpu and pla is one of the main reasons I bought a printer and the mmu. I'm currently still waiting for the mmu to arrive (ordered more than 6 weeks ago). According to Prusa chat, they'll be shipping it in about 2 weeks.
I've got a roll of the Flex40 on hand and I'm super excited to give it a try. It definitely won't be the first filament I run through the mmu, but eventually I want to get a reliable profile set up and I'd like to keep one slot reserved for a tpu at all times.
Are there any tips anyone wants to share on the mmu or the software settings necessary to make this successful? I know I'd probably have better luck with a Shore 80 or something harder, but I want the soft-touch feel of a silicone wrapped enclosure. I haven't found a filament in a shore 60-70 yet.
My recommendation with TPU is pull out 4-5 meters/yards and make sure it won't tangle. You have to loosten the tension on the drive gears so much that it can't even turn the spool, especially when it is full. Check back every half hour until you get a feel for how much it is eating on that print, and you can probably get an hours pulled out without causing an issue.
TPU is doable, it is just at the margin of capability for these machines, and so you need a lot of testing and patience.
I have a low-resistance spool holder on top of my printer (until the mmu arrives) and I had no trouble with flex40 on the spindle. I did have a problem getting stuck in the hot end after I let it sit and cool without removing the filament, but thats a different story.
I printed a keypad button. It was only a 2 hour print but it came out very nice using prusaslicer settings for flex40. Actually, the 2nd print came out good but I tried using variable layer heights on the first print and that didn't turn out so well. So really it was almost 4 hours of printing and I never had a problem with the spool.