Notifications
Clear all

Raspberry Pi 400  

RSS
Duncan Blackwell
(@duncan-blackwell)
Raspberry Pi 400

Hello everyone.

I bought the latest Pi 400 this week and the idea is to use it with a monitor on top of the Lack enclosure that I'm currently printing parts for as I type this (on said machine).

I keep getting the message to upgrade the software on the MK3S that I built last week.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to get Prusa slicer installed and then use the Pi to perform the upgrade to the printer please.

It needs to be in the most simplified way ever known to man, because I am completely new to this.

Many thanks in advance and stay safe 

Posted : 05/11/2020 2:53 pm
JustMe3D
(@justme3d)
Honorable Member
RE: Raspberry Pi 400

It's certainly no way simple to use a pi upgrading the printer instead of just using the SD card like anyone else. .. 😉 but there are folks out there checking valve clearance of an engine through the exhaust system instead of lifting the valve cap... 🙂

I try to give answers to the best of my ability, but I am not a 3D printing pro by any means, and anything you do you do at your own risk. BTW: I have no food for…

Posted : 05/11/2020 3:07 pm
Duncan Blackwell
(@duncan-blackwell)
Topic starter answered:

@just3d

Thanks for the speedy reply. I wasn't aware I could update the printer with the SD card? The booklet says it has to be done using the usb cable. 
Posted : 05/11/2020 3:10 pm
towlerg
(@towlerg)
Noble Member

Personally I use the option in most slicers and for sure in PrusaSlicer and Cura.

Posted : 05/11/2020 7:29 pm
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member

I am flashing the firmware with PS installed on the PC via a standard USB cable. Works reliably and flawlessly, also for multilanguage. For Octoprint there is, as far as I know, a plugin with which the FW can also be flashed (firmware updater).
Many roads lead to Rome: https://github.com/PrusaOwners/mk3-32u2-firmware .....

Statt zu klagen, dass wir nicht alles haben, was wir wollen, sollten wir lieber dankbar sein, dass wir nicht alles bekommen, was wir verdienen.

Posted : 05/11/2020 8:10 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member

Assuming you're going to run Octoprint on that Raspberry Pi, the simplest solution might be to simply install the firmware flashing plugin and use that. I'm using it with 2 printers and it is very simple.

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 05/11/2020 10:14 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: @just3d

It's certainly no way simple to use a pi upgrading the printer instead of just using the SD card like anyone else. .. 😉 but there are folks out there checking valve clearance of an engine through the exhaust system instead of lifting the valve cap... 🙂

Interesting. Would you mind elaborating on how you update firmware on the Mk3 using only the SD card without a separate computer?

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 06/11/2020 2:39 am
Duncan Blackwell
(@duncan-blackwell)
Topic starter answered:

Updating via the desktop isn't viable as I'd need multiple extensions to get each party to reach. 

I've looked in the prusaslicer app but can't see anywhere it says I can use to update the printer. 

Posted : 06/11/2020 9:07 am
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member

@guyver-1

To design parts and to slice them I use local installation of CAD and Slicer software on a PC.
The Gcode is sent to the printer host (Octoprint) via PrusaSlicer or can also be saved on a USB/SD medium.
To flash the firmware I also use the PrusaSlicer. I only have to connect the PC with the printer via USB cable, select the firmware and flash it. It could not be easier.

Statt zu klagen, dass wir nicht alles haben, was wir wollen, sollten wir lieber dankbar sein, dass wir nicht alles bekommen, was wir verdienen.

Posted : 06/11/2020 12:26 pm
Infiltrator
(@infiltrator)
Eminent Member

The first thing I did after building my mk3s was to update the firmware.

I downloaded it from this link

https://cdn.prusa3d.com/downloads/firmware/prusa3d_fw_3_9_1_MK3S.zip

Unzipped it on my laptop. Copied the file prusa3d_fw_MK3S_3_9_1_3518.hex to my desktop
connected the USB cable provided in the prusa kit to my laptop and the einsy board
ran prusa slicer that I had pre-installed on my laptop and went to this menu.

Configuration / Flash printer hardware

On the next menu I selected the hex file from my desktop, selected the usb port and hit flash!

Hope it helps in some way.

Posted : 08/11/2020 2:19 am
Clemens M.
(@clemens-m)
Noble Member
Posted by: @guyver-1

Hello everyone.

I bought the latest Pi 400 this week and the idea is to use it with a monitor on top of the Lack enclosure that I'm currently printing parts for as I type this (on said machine).

I keep getting the message to upgrade the software on the MK3S that I built last week.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to get Prusa slicer installed and then use the Pi to perform the upgrade to the printer please.

It needs to be in the most simplified way ever known to man, because I am completely new to this.

Many thanks in advance and stay safe 

Yes - this is possible. As I knwo you have to keep in mind, that it is not possible to run Octoprint on the Pi and in parallel run PrusaSlicer on the Pi to use for flashing the firmware of the printer.

To install PrusaSlicer goto:
https://github.com/prusa3d/PrusaSlicer/releases/tag/version_2.2.0

Download this:
PrusaSlicer-2.2.0+linux-armv7l-202003211132.tar.bz2

Then you need to open the archive, save it on a folder and then you have to install it.

Best regards, Clemens

Mini, i3 MK2.5S, i3 MK4, CClone (Eigenbau)

Posted : 12/11/2020 10:08 pm
Clemens M.
(@clemens-m)
Noble Member

"Then you need to open the archive, save it on a folder and then you have to install it."

Last part of the sentence was wrong. Correct is:

Open the folder where you unzipped the archive and you will find a file "prusa-slicer" which is a shell-script. Double klick it and Slicer will start (takes a few seconds). Maybe a security window is opening and asking if you would like to run this file.

Best regards, Clemens

Posted : 12/11/2020 11:05 pm
jsw
 jsw
(@jsw)
Famed Member

I jumped on the Pi 400 as soon as it came out.  I'm planning to use it as a desktop down in the train room.

However, I may follow your lead and put PS on it so I can slice down there if need be.

It's a nice handy little computer in a keyboard.

Posted : 12/11/2020 11:54 pm
Clemens M.
(@clemens-m)
Noble Member

@jsw

I ordered one (Pi 400) today - but I have already 4 Pi's running as desktop computers. I love them!

Best regards, Clemens

Posted : 13/11/2020 12:34 am
jsw
 jsw
(@jsw)
Famed Member
Posted by: @clemens-m

@jsw

I ordered one (Pi 400) today - but I have already 4 Pi's running as desktop computers. I love them!

Best regards, Clemens

Actually, the machine I have in the train room now is my Pi 4 that I just use to mess around with.  The hard disk on the machine I had down there died and I installed the Pi 4 temporarily as a makeshift.  It actually performs quite well.  When the Pi 400 came out I ordered it specifically to replace that.  It will take far less space on the desk down there and use the same monitor.

Posted : 13/11/2020 1:27 am
Clemens M.
(@clemens-m)
Noble Member

Got mine today - flipped the SD-card from my pi4 4GB to the Pi 400 - worked perfect without any modification. The only thing I am missing is a 3,5 mm plug for audio. My monitor is not supporting Audio over HDMI. It looks like as the Pi 400 will become my new light weight work horse desktop machine.

I can do Onshape and PrusaSlicer on it - so it is perfect for 3D-printing.

I love it.

Best regards, Clemens

Posted : 16/11/2020 7:40 pm
Share: