Clear all

Y-Axis improvements (collecting thread)  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
pingu
(@pingu)
Estimable Member
Y-Axis improvements (collecting thread)

In my vision this Thread should be a wiki like collection of known mods and improvements for Y-Axis

My only 3 or 4 Months old Prusa has killed in its first week the Rods and Bearings on Y-Axis. Purchaed on my own new bearings and turned the Rods 45°. I either Printed a mounting housing for it to not bend them by original u-rod mounting. now it starts again. I Wrote an email to Prusa, but nothing more happened.

as i am not happy about Y-axis Construction, i ordered This on aliexpress to test it.

anyone testet it allready? my Y-Carrier ist wiggeling around as hell, and its noisy. Of Course i hope for better Print Quality, but i hope even more for noise reduction. Whats your Opinion?

also for a test i Ordered an Y carriage on ALiexpress wit Place for 4 Housed LMU8 bearings, i will Test it with new rods either.

whats up with Motormounting, i guess a stiffer one would help reducin noise either?

This topic was modified 4 years ago by pingu
Posted : 14/10/2019 3:02 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
RE: Y-Axis improvements (collecting thread)

Interesting find.  I have not seen this implemented.  It may provide a stiffer bed.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 14/10/2019 3:34 pm
pingu
(@pingu)
Estimable Member
Topic starter answered:

Stiffer, but i guess its heavier, too. Weight on precise and fast moved parts is allways not good and a thing to avoid.

The linear rails ( not shure if this therminology is correct, im not an native english speaker) are usualy muuuuuuuuuuch more expensive, expensive like about 70 eur für a 200 mm rail, without roller( again not shute if this word is correct). 

But i searched long and picked this one from ali express with over 500 5 star ratings. We will see. Think shipping could lead to 3 or 4 weeks. In the main time we are waiting, i would be pleased if everyone who saw, heard of or even improved on its own, posts it here.

Greetings from germany

Posted : 14/10/2019 4:51 pm
Nikomi
(@nikomi)

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3919019

Posted : 16/10/2019 9:03 am
pingu
(@pingu)
Estimable Member
Topic starter answered:

nice, thanks! didn't knew this one. but just thinkink withput build, i can't imagine this one is quit

Posted : 17/10/2019 12:27 pm
Erik
 Erik
(@erik-3)
Estimable Member

@nikomi

Have you used these? That looks pretty cool!

Edit: Just realized you're the designer. Can you include a link to the special screw you used for the center bearing? I'd like to give this a try. All parts look pretty cheap, anyway. No harm in giving it a try. Also, do you have any pics or videos of them in use on the printer?

Posted : 17/10/2019 1:07 pm
pingu
(@pingu)
Estimable Member
Topic starter answered:

Posted : 18/10/2019 5:03 am
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
Posted by: @martin4friends

A pretty neat way to replace the u-bolts.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 18/10/2019 10:02 am
Neophyl
(@neophyl)
Illustrious Member

What model is that exactly ?

Posted : 18/10/2019 11:08 am
Chocki
(@chocki)
Prominent Member

I printed a set of clips from here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2830466

This was the first mod I did to my printer after I got it, you simply screw M3 cap head screws in from above until they just start to protrude (M3 x 12), and screw the clips up against the underside of the carriage. That's it, no overtightening possible, they just work and have been on my printer now since I bought it last year.

It's better and maybe cheaper than the PRUSA solution and I cant' understand why they went with a U bolt system that can be incorrectly set.

Normal people believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet.

Posted : 18/10/2019 11:40 am
pingu
(@pingu)
Estimable Member
Topic starter answered:

my opinion. my best guess: fear of incorrect angle anlighment by user. i wrote an email to prusa, because since day one it was noisy, i replaced rods and bearings by my own costs, not happy about their support in this case.

i dont know exactly witch model this isd i printed and used, i will look up at home. still have the .STL with name

Posted : 18/10/2019 11:55 am
Chocki
(@chocki)
Prominent Member

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2942590

Y axis motor mount which uses the mount to stop the Y axis as the end stop, not the bearing.

If you look closely, the end stop of the bed is the bearing hitting the end which causes twist in the bed, so this motor mount has an extended section that hits the belt clamps just a fraction before the bearing hits the end.

Much cleaner stop and no twisting of the bed.

Normal people believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet.

Posted : 18/10/2019 12:08 pm
pingu
(@pingu)
Estimable Member
Topic starter answered:

👍 👍 👍 

Posted : 18/10/2019 12:14 pm
Nikomi
(@nikomi)

@karl-w2

I made one set with PETG and one with ABS. Apsolutely works quiet, smooth without play. Special screw is screw without head M3, https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32951463798.html?spm=2114.12057483.0.0.222011e94FdGaq , but I have machined it from M3 inbus screw(small head).

Posted : 18/10/2019 12:20 pm
Chocki
(@chocki)
Prominent Member

Recently I've also noticed that the Y belt can stretch when homing, Self calibration more specifically, so I am looking to replace the 6mm belt with 9mm belt, obviously this requires more than just the belt, but it should also reduce ringing artifacts.

Posted : 18/10/2019 12:28 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
Posted by: @chocki

Recently I've also noticed that the Y belt can stretch when homing, Self calibration more specifically, so I am looking to replace the 6mm belt with 9mm belt, obviously this requires more than just the belt, but it should also reduce ringing artifacts.

Very intrigued.  Please post a part list and the results if successful.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 18/10/2019 1:12 pm
Neophyl
(@neophyl)
Illustrious Member

Thanks Chocki.  I'm getting to the point where I'm due for a rebuild anyway as when I built my printer there was no mention of greasing the bearings but I've been putting it off until I have to.  Its now getting increasingly noisy and I think quality is starting to drop off.  In preparation I have new rods and bearing ready to go.  I've also printed out the Bunny and Bear version of the geared extruder (as I have the MK3 laser sensor with bearing mod still which I prefer over the MK3s), and I have some modified X axis ends with belt adjusts built in that looked decent.

At the same time I'm going to use the opportunity to fit connectors to ALL the wires going to the extruder assembly to make changes in future easier.  Might as well do a Y axis upgrade while I have it all apart 🙂

Posted : 18/10/2019 1:18 pm
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator

@neophyl

what connectors are you planning to use?

regards Joan

I try to make safe suggestions,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions, what you do, is YOUR responsibility. Location Halifax UK

Posted : 18/10/2019 4:08 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

On the topic of bearings, what are the best ones to use?  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 18/10/2019 5:12 pm
Chocki
(@chocki)
Prominent Member

round ones 😋 

Posted : 18/10/2019 5:41 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: