Notifications
Clear all

What are your favorite Octoprint features and plugins?  

RSS
Mike Daneman
(@mike-daneman)
Estimable Member
What are your favorite Octoprint features and plugins?

For those of you using Octoprint (I starting using it recently and love it), I wanted to see what were your favorite features that you use all the time and what are your "must-have" plugins.  For me, I love the basic functionality of being able to start a print directly out of Prusa Slicer and monitor it from anywhere.  I use OctoPod app for my iPhone as well as the actual Octoprint with TouchUI installed from other computers.  I also like that I can record Time lapse videos - partly for fun, but partly because when my print fails I can go back and see where it happened.

For my favorite plugins so far, they are:

Octoprint Dashboard - shows all key printer, print, and RPi statistics on one page. It seems to be in active development so is improving all the time.

M37 ETA Override - replaces Octoprint's print time estimates (which are typically not super accurate) with output of the M73 commands inserted by Prusa Slicer.  This doesn't work for Cura or when printing from SD, but I mostly use Slicer anyway.

DisplayLayerProgress - shows which layer is bring printed out of the total layers as well as well as the current and total print height and how long each layer took to print.  This is used by Octoprint Dashboard (above) to display layer statistics, but can also be used without it.

Custom Control Editor - lets you easily define custom control buttons, sliders, etc.

TouchUI - makes it much easier to interact with Octoprint from smaller screens (such as phones or touch-screens).

What are your favorite features & plugins?

Posted : 10/10/2019 8:51 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member
RE: What are your favorite Octoprint features and plugins?

Big features for me are:

• Send gcode directly from PrusaSlicer to Octoprint and (optionally) start print.
  • Simple remove video monitoring setup.
  • Remote start, pause and stop.
  • Cancel individual part plugin.
  • Remote terminal (serial in/out) access.

I use Prusa Mesh Bed Level, dash board and Octolapse, but those aren't "must have" features for me. I'm going to be integrating cabinet lighting and other goodies into the setup eventually and Octoprint provides the "embedded smarts" for controlling those features.

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 10/10/2019 8:56 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

I really like the Print history plugin.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 10/10/2019 9:42 pm
Terry Sherman
(@terry-sherman)

RE: Custom Control Editor — what controls do you use? Can you share your setup? 

Posted : 10/10/2019 11:25 pm
Rich3D
(@rich3d)

Surprised this wasnt mentioned, but my 2 are Bed Visulizer, and Octolapse.

Bed visuliser lets you see how level your bed is, which is pretty important.

Octolapse, creates awesome time lapse videos!

Rich 3D
https://3dnewb.com

Posted : 13/10/2019 10:28 pm
Gato
 Gato
(@gato)
Reputable Member

Hi mdaneman,

Happy to hear you are using OctoPod iOS app. Are you using the also free and open source OctoPod plugin for OctoPrint to receive several useful notifications to your iPhone/iPad or Apple Watch?

Gaston

Posted : 19/10/2019 5:41 am
Mike Daneman
(@mike-daneman)
Estimable Member
Topic starter answered:

@gaston-d3

Hi Gaston,

Yes, I am using the Octopd plugin. Very handy with notifications. 
I assume you’re the guy who wrote it? It’s a great app and plug in!  Thanks  

If so, I have a request. For some notifications like “printer needs interaction” or “Printer is offline”, it would be nice if I could set those to only trigger once or a present number of times. Otherwise when my printer was off, I was getting a notice every 5 min and had to shut down octoprint to make it stop. 

Posted : 19/10/2019 4:08 pm
Gato
 Gato
(@gato)
Reputable Member

Hey @mdaneman,

Yep, I'm the author of OctoPod. You can control the frequency of those notifications from OctoPrint -> Settings -> OctoPod Notifications. There you can set the number of minutes between repeated notifications or even disable them. I just released version 0.2.3 that includes French translation in case you are using that language.

Thanks,

Gaston

Posted : 19/10/2019 6:01 pm
Mike Daneman
(@mike-daneman)
Estimable Member
Topic starter answered:

@gaston-d3

Thanks, I know that I can change the setting, but I’d rather just have the option to either have it only notify me once or have some way to acknowledge the alert and not have it notify me again for that event. Sometime the printer is, for example, waiting for a filament change and I won’t  be able to get to it for a few hours. If I don’t go I to the settings and turn the alert off (and then I’ll need to remember to re-enable later), I’ll have twenty or thirty notifications pop up on my phone. 

Posted : 20/10/2019 4:46 am
Gato
 Gato
(@gato)
Reputable Member

@mdaneman,

Is it MMU notifications (e.g. when MMU requires user assistance) that are spamming you? If yes, you can mute notifications from your iPhone/iPad/Apple Watch. Long press on the notification and you can mute it for 1 or 8 hours. If that is not your case then I can add the same functionality to whatever notification is spamming you. I will need to know which one is.

Thanks,

Gaston

Posted : 20/10/2019 6:35 am
Mike Daneman
(@mike-daneman)
Estimable Member
Topic starter answered:

@gaston-d3

Hi Gaston,

I don’t have an MMU. It’s mainly notifications for the M600 (filament change command) saying that printer needs user input, and also when the printer is off but Octoprint is running (no USB response).  If you could add mute to those that’ll be fantastic. 

Posted : 20/10/2019 7:37 am
Gato
 Gato
(@gato)
Reputable Member

@mdaneman

Gotcha. I think you have a nice idea. I filed it as https://github.com/gdombiak/OctoPrint-OctoPod/issues/26 .

Thanks,

Gaston

Posted : 21/10/2019 6:18 pm
Mike Daneman
(@mike-daneman)
Estimable Member
Topic starter answered:

@gaston-d3

Thanks!  That'll be fantastic.

-Mike.

Posted : 22/10/2019 1:52 am
jurassic73
(@jurassic73)
Estimable Member

DiscordRemote - this is great as you can get print progress notifications on your mobile device /smartwatch.

Display ETA - display completion time on your LCD display.

MK3s / My IKEA Lack enclosure

Posted : 23/11/2019 1:12 am
Share: