Thekkiinngg Powder Coated PEI sheet V4 - Impressions after 3 weeks

Notifications
Clear all

RSS
lpopesco
(@lpopesco)

I have both the Prusa PC springsteel sheet, and the TheKing (this is the spelling I'll use from now on) one.

My first impressions with the TheKing one was very positive. Adhesion was amazing, and even a single layer of PLA would be impossible to get off. I couldn't help but rave about it to everyone I knew. Then I started trying to print larger pieces, or multiple pieces that involved using the corners and edges of the buildplate.

This is where the problems started to crop up.

The height of the buildplate is stupidly uneven. I can have a perfect layer in the middle, but the nozzle will be scraping the plastic on one side while being too far to adhere on the other. This would result in failed PLA prints, and almost catastrophic failures with PETG, where the nozzle scraping lead to the plastic being picked up and a blob forming, which I luckily caught before it got any worse. It took me countless hours of troubleshooting before I decided to just put the prusa sheet back on, load up my old live-z, and all my problems suddenly vanished.

I bought mine off Etsy, and I'll be getting in contact with TheKing about getting a replacement. For now, I'm back to the stock PC sheet, and back to the ritual of washing it under the sink every few days.

This topic was modified 4 years ago by lpopesco
Posted : 11/03/2020 4:54 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member
RE: Thekkiinngg Powder Coated PEI sheet V4 - Impressions after 3 weeks

I'm happy with my TheKKIINNGG sheet, but not a fan of the outfit based on stories I heard from early buyers. Inconsistency was a common complaint. When did you buy yours? I purchased mine a few months ago and I'm not sure whether their quality has improved or I just got lucky, but it's very even.

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 11/03/2020 10:07 pm
lpopesco
(@lpopesco)
Topic starter answered:

@bobstro

I got my sheet 3 weeks ago. Here's a picture of the 3x3 calibration calibration run on it, so you get an idea of how bad it was

Posted : 11/03/2020 11:02 pm
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator

I find it sadly amusing that there are people extolling the virtues of this manufacturer over Prusa , and claiming that Prusa textured plates are rubbish and  cannot  be used with PLA...      

and yet here we are with two different experiences of the wonder product...    and an unhappy customer...

Washing works for me, and I don't find it a Hardship...   I can buy a lot of dish soap, sponges, paper towels and water for the cost of an alternative plate...    and so far, all of my prusa plates seem good quality...   

the crazy thing is that I am being called a liar when I show PLA Prints stuck to Textured PLA Printbeds...    

I have also played with alternative 'Bonding aids'   and come back to simple washing for PLA... 

TPU and PETG can use a bond weakening treatment like Windex, or Talcum powder or Skin Grease to prevent over bonding... 

but that's about it... and if a model gets stuck I use some IPA to soak into the bond surface and weaken the bond after the event...

now that I don't use IPA for cleaning the build plate, I have plenty for the 'Corona virus' prevention...
regards Joan

I try to make safe suggestions,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions, what you do, is YOUR responsibility. Location Halifax UK

Posted : 11/03/2020 11:18 pm
vintagepc
(@vintagepc)
Posted by: @joantabb

I find it sadly amusing that there are people extolling the virtues of this manufacturer over Prusa , and claiming that Prusa textured plates are rubbish and  cannot  be used with PLA...      

and yet here we are with two different experiences of the wonder product...    and an unhappy customer...

Washing works for me, and I don't find it a Hardship...   I can buy a lot of dish soap, sponges, paper towels and water for the cost of an alternative plate...    and so far, all of my prusa plates seem good quality...   

the crazy thing is that I am being called a liar when I show PLA Prints stuck to Textured PLA Printbeds...    

I have also played with alternative 'Bonding aids'   and come back to simple washing for PLA... 

TPU and PETG can use a bond weakening treatment like Windex, or Talcum powder or Skin Grease to prevent over bonding... 

but that's about it... and if a model gets stuck I use some IPA to soak into the bond surface and weaken the bond after the event...

now that I don't use IPA for cleaning the build plate, I have plenty for the 'Corona virus' prevention...
regards Joan

I believe both camps on the Prusa PC sheet. Works for some, not for others. There is definitely variability from sheet to sheet...

https://forum.prusa3d.com/forum/original-prusa-i3-mk3s-mk3-general-discussion-announcements-and-releases/a-tale-of-two-sheets-pc-sheet-investigation/

Posted : 12/03/2020 12:32 am
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member

There a big difference between extolling another vendor and pointing out that said vendor is delivering what Prusa promised. It's not so much the textured sheet variability issues that bugs me as the very corporate reaction. New users should not be told it's fine and it's all them when following the manufacturer guidance simply does not work. New products should have warranties. When I read "it's a consumable" as the first response, it was obvious they scripted the support folks. Hoping somebody in the EU hits them on consumer protection grounds on this one. Full story here for anyone interested. 

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 12/03/2020 1:38 am
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

I am a fan of version 4.  I have been using it on one printer for about a year.  I would order it from Amazon and not eBay.  I like the security of using Amazon.  I have used V1-4 now.  1 and 2 are garbage.  3 and 4 continue to be used with no issues.  V4 is clearly better than 3.  

Link on Amazon: Thekkiinngg Prusa Double-Sided Textured Sheet V4

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 12/03/2020 2:06 am
dany.a liked
dany.a
(@dany-a)

WOW ! 

Posted : 22/04/2020 2:00 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
Posted by: @charles-h13

I am a fan of version 4.  I have been using it on one printer for about a year.  I would order it from Amazon and not eBay.  I like the security of using Amazon.  I have used V1-4 now.  1 and 2 are garbage.  3 and 4 continue to be used with no issues.  V4 is clearly better than 3.  

Link on Amazon: Thekkiinngg Prusa Double-Sided Textured Sheet V4

I am ata year of use and I am still very happy with the $.  The 3 also continue to run strong but it it is beginning to show more wear then the 4.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 22/04/2020 2:10 pm
With_Maltodextrin
(@with_maltodextrin)
Trusted Member

My TheKkiinngg V4 sheet has been great for several months now, mostly PLA but some PETG. I don't have the original Prusa textured bed to compare but I have a Trianglelab one and the TheKkiinngg one is much better than that.

Posted : 22/04/2020 2:55 pm
dany.a liked
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

@with_maltodextrin

100% agree.

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 22/04/2020 11:21 pm
dany.a liked
dany.a
(@dany-a)

@charles-h13

SOUND GoOD ! THANKS YOU ' 

Posted : 23/04/2020 3:14 am
JBinFL
(@jbinfl)
Reputable Member
Posted by: @lp0101

@bobstro

I got my sheet 3 weeks ago. Here's a picture of the 3x3 calibration calibration run on it, so you get an idea of how bad it was

I would be curious to see that calibration print on your Prusa sheet to see if it looks different or the same to determine if it is the sheet or the bed...   Or rotate that sheet on the bed to see if the same thing happens on the right or if it moves to the left.  If it moves to the left then clearly the sheet is uneven, if it remains on the right it is the bed

What you are showing on that calibration is the right is higher than the left.   That could be the bed level which if it shows up on the Prusa PC sheet can be corrected with bed leveling or nyloc mod.  Not saying it is not uneven, but a comparison pic would help to diagnose the cause.

I have 2 TTHHEEKKIINNGGS and 2 Prusa PC Sheet in addition to a PEI sheet which all have the same adjustment to correct in bed leveling.

Again, not saying that is not your situation, but a comparison will help to diagnose...

This post was modified 4 years ago by JBinFL

Strange women, laying in ponds, distributing swords, is hardly a basis for a system of governance!

Posted : 23/04/2020 10:13 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

Send me the test file you printed and I will try it out.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 23/04/2020 11:42 pm
Chris
(@chris-16)
Reputable Member
Posted by: @joantabb

~big snip~

regards Joan

First, I know how long you have been here and how much you have contributed, I am saddened that anyone would attack you. I know you are not a liar. 

I think that some textured plates might be a little too glossy and might need a little scuffing (very lightly with a scotch pad) to increase the surface area and maybe to lift any remaining plastic in the pores of the PEI. very light.

lastly, alcohol is not really a great virus killer or good for your skin. soap and water works better there also. 

This post was modified 4 years ago by Chris
Posted : 13/08/2020 7:38 am
Chris
(@chris-16)
Reputable Member

@lp0101

to me that pattern looks like a mechanical issue, not a plate issue. since it happens in 45 degree bands in certain spots rather than a large low area. how reproducible is it?

Posted : 13/08/2020 9:42 pm
Kenobi-XII
(@kenobi-xii)
Eminent Member
Posted by: @jbinfl
Posted by: @lp0101

@bobstro

I would be curious to see that calibration print on your Prusa sheet to see if it looks different or the same to determine if it is the sheet or the bed...   Or rotate that sheet on the bed to see if the same thing happens on the right or if it moves to the left.  If it moves to the left then clearly the sheet is uneven, if it remains on the right it is the bed

What you are showing on that calibration is the right is higher than the left.   That could be the bed level which if it shows up on the Prusa PC sheet can be corrected with bed leveling or nyloc mod.  Not saying it is not uneven, but a comparison pic would help to diagnose the cause.

I have 2 TTHHEEKKIINNGGS and 2 Prusa PC Sheet in addition to a PEI sheet which all have the same adjustment to correct in bed leveling.

Again, not saying that is not your situation, but a comparison will help to diagnose...

I have exact the same problem with thekkiinngg sheet. First layer on the right side is shit!!! 

Posted : 02/11/2020 10:10 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

@thejokerse

I have had nothing but success with all of mine.  I have one for each printer and is it preferentially over the Prusa TXT for PETG.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 03/11/2020 1:30 am
Share: