Clear all

Sucessful Duet WiFi installation  

Page 1 / 3
  RSS
Kolbi
(@kolbi)
Eminent Member
Sucessful Duet WiFi installation

Had a busy, yet very productive weekend! I installed the Duet wifi on my Prusa MK3s this past weekend, no issues at. She got the Zaribo 10mm full upgrade as well as the Duet Wifi, so it's really a completely different machine. It is also worth mentioning that a while ago I upgraded the extruder to the Bondtech Mosquito Upgrade Kit which has been great also! 

If you are interested in doing the same modifications, see the links below.

For firmware settings, I used Argo's configuration files - here

For wiring, I used a guide I created, and now verified - here

Cheers!

This topic was modified 4 years ago by Kolbi
Posted : 06/07/2020 6:02 pm
Kolbi
(@kolbi)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:
RE: Sucessful Duet WiFi installation

I forgot to mention:

A well-designed, excellent fitting case that JenPet remixed can be found here.

Posted : 06/07/2020 6:10 pm
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member

@r-kolbi

particularly interesting!

Which advantages or limitations can be expected in comparison to the EinsyRambo with the Marlin firmware on MK3 with regard to the familiar user functionality?

Thanks!

Statt zu klagen, dass wir nicht alles haben, was wir wollen, sollten wir lieber dankbar sein, dass wir nicht alles bekommen, was wir verdienen.

Posted : 06/07/2020 8:59 pm
Kolbi
(@kolbi)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:

@karl-herbert

Haha, I’ll start of by saying that it is very different then marlin for sure. I do like marlin and have been using it for years, so for me it was/is a learning curve shifting to reprap but in a good way.

The biggest advantage over marlin is that you don’t need to recompile your firmware after changes. In reprap/duet the configuration files are broken down into separate files that you update on-the-fly and then just restart your printer. You can see these files in my github link under the sys folder. Additionally reprap/duet wifi has it’s own web interface that is part of the firmware itself. It is very slick, useful, and very responsive – plus you can edit the files I mentioned through the web interface, very cool.

For the EinsyRambo vs Duet Wifi; the duet gives you much more stepper power, wifi connectivity built in, and of course a much faster 32bit processor for increase kinematics headroom.

There are some cons thus far, and granted I’ve only just put this all together this past weekend, but the stepper drivers are very slightly louder than stock einsy – but I haven’t had a chance to really tune them and see what is possible. This isn’t a big deal for me really, and like I said – it’s barely noticeable difference. The other thing is you can’t use your existing fans or lcd display. I had to upgrade to 24v fans and 5in color touchscreen (no complaints 😉 )

Maybe an issue for people using MMU? I’m not sure as I don’t have a MMU and have no plans to acquire one, however I did see some posts about people trying to get it working with the duet.

There's lots more, but this is just the top things I could type out as the moment.

V/R,
Kolbi

Posted : 06/07/2020 9:28 pm
tmicke
(@tmicke)
Trusted Member

Thank you for sharing this, very interesting!
I’ve had my eyes on a Duet board for some time but are held back by my fear of not being able to put it all together and thus have wasted a lot of money and gaining some extra grey hairs plus that I’ve only had my MK3S’s for maybe 6 months and are quite happy with it as is, but there’s always room for improvements. I did buy the Bondtech extruder but can’t really say it improved anything, but I always print slow so maybe I’m missing out on its benefits and I live in a relatively cold country.

Do you by any chance have any pictures to share of printed models before and after? Can you tell us a bit more of the Mosquito and Zaribo upgrades and what difference they made compared to the original MK3S?

Posted : 07/07/2020 4:50 am
Kolbi
(@kolbi)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:

@sw3de

I'd say if you're happy with your printer as it is, then don't change it 😉

I don't really have any pics of past prints, I usually don't take photos. As of now, I am currently tuning the new setup, so you'll have to give me a bit to get it all sorted.

I do believe that the geared bondtech mosquito upgrade did make the extrusion more uniform and has the added benefit of easier nozzle swaps. A bunch can be read about the added benefits of a geared extruder, just search this forum for bondtech mosquito and you'll find loads of info. The Zaribo 10mm upgrade is awesome, there is no slop at all in anything, all axis glide like a dream, and the frame is super solid - like a bear upgrade. Then when you add the duet it truly becomes a different printer, not in a bad way, just different - kinda like Mac vs Windows... So right now it all is working great but I have a lot of tuning going on and kinda learning at every point.

Posted : 07/07/2020 5:52 am
Kolbi
(@kolbi)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:

@karl-herbert, @sw3de

With regard to advantages/limitations in user functionality, I myself find the duet with paneldue easier. The most commonly used functions by me are filament handling followed by baby-stepping z (live z for prusa).

Baby-stepping Z (live z) a screen pops up on the paneldue as well as the http interface.

For the filament handling i made macros to smartly deal with it (see Picture1.png):

"Set Filament Type" - This macro asks what filament you going to use; PLA, PETg, ABS, or PC. This information will be used to change the "Heat Nozzle" macro, which can be ran individually to heat the hotend for the specified filament. and is also used, or required, by the macro "Filament Handling". Once this is set you do not have to use it again, unless you change filament type.

"Filament Handling" - For any and all filament unloading / loading / changing use this macro. This macro will load, unload, and change filament base on whether is detects filament is current loaded or not, and if a print is in progress or not.

"Heat Nozzle" is created and changed by the operation of "Set Filament Type" macro and can be selected on its own and is also used / required by the "Filament Handling" macro. If you select it, the hotend will heat to the set filament type temperature.

My duet2wifi/ MK3s install info/ guide is found here:
https://github.com/rkolbi/RRF-machine-config-files/tree/master/Prusa%20MK3s

More can be read about the built-in web interface here:
https://duet3d.dozuki.com/Wiki/Duet_Web_Control_Manual

Information on PanelDue with pics of menu screens can be found here:
https://miscsolutions.wordpress.com/paneldue

This post was modified 4 years ago 2 times by Kolbi
Posted : 15/07/2020 8:52 pm
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member

@r-kolbi

Many thanks for the numerous information. I'm gonna take a close look at this. 👍 

Statt zu klagen, dass wir nicht alles haben, was wir wollen, sollten wir lieber dankbar sein, dass wir nicht alles bekommen, was wir verdienen.

Posted : 15/07/2020 9:06 pm
Kolbi
(@kolbi)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:

@karl-herbert

No worries at all.

In the user experience area - i forgot to mention that prusaslicer can send gcode directly to it (and have it start printing) just like original MK3s.

Cheers!
Kolbi

Posted : 15/07/2020 9:15 pm
Nikolai
(@nikolai)
Noble Member

Very nice project. Thanks for sharing. The only downsides I can see are:

* No temperature compensation for PINDA
* Price
* MMU incompatible
* Power loss recovery???

Had no reason so far to replace my Einsy board but definitely a nice project. Similar like RepRap on SKR boards 🙂

Often linked posts:
Going small with MMU2
Real Multi Material
My prints on Instagram

Posted : 15/07/2020 10:09 pm
Kolbi
(@kolbi)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:

@nikolai-r

Thanks!  I am liking it for sure.

I am working on macro for pinda compensation, the next update to RRF should be bringing in use of variables and make it easy. As it is now, I do pinda heatup over bed and don't have any issues. Actually since I now use independent Z axis control, they are leveled more accurately then the prusa way, which in turn leads to better mesh.

I know people do use power loss recovery with this board, but I have not ever used that function with Einsy and haven't considered it with duet - but I will look into it and implement as it should be doable.

For MMU, I don't think it works with it - there was/is forum chatter about it over there but since I have no interest in obtaining MMU I have not researched it or if it is possible.

The cost thing...  if you compare it directly to the replacement cost of an Einsy, it isn't that much more money - I think 30 - 40 dollars or so. But you also need to factor in that you will need new fans that run on 24v. And then, if you want a paneldue display, add that on the tab also - you can't use the prusa lcd display. So yes, there is an investment for sure - maybe in 120 dollars above the cost for Einsy?

I see pro's and con's both ways, I'm getting more perspective on this on a daily basis as I use it - but I do believe this is a better, more capable, driver board. Possibly a bit overkill for MK3s? 😉

Duet is releasing a new board, a bit smaller than the duet2wifi, not sure what the cost will be, but it should be pretty good.

Cheers,
Kolbi

Posted : 15/07/2020 10:47 pm
Nikolai
(@nikolai)
Noble Member
Posted by: @r-kolbi

The cost thing...  if you compare it directly to the replacement cost of an Einsy, it isn't that much more money - I think 30 - 40 dollars or so. But you also need to factor in that you will need new fans that run on 24v. And then, if you want a paneldue display, add that on the tab also - you can't use the prusa lcd display. So yes, there is an investment for sure - maybe in 120 dollars above the cost for Einsy?

I was looking for my printer project for a board and considered Duet boards. The thing is, you need to buy PanelDue as-well. There is no option to go inexpensive on the screen. Duet2Wifi + PanelDue i5 = ~$260. For Einsy board and also SKR board you can pick any display. So the whole package starts with $120 for the Einsy board (SKR much cheaper) and you can use any screen you have on spare or buy one for ~$10.

Your guess with $120 difference is pretty close. 🙂 I went with SKR board + TMC2209 because of the price tag. It really hurts to invest $260 in a control board  for a regular i3 printer.

Often linked posts:
Going small with MMU2
Real Multi Material
My prints on Instagram

Posted : 15/07/2020 11:16 pm
Kolbi
(@kolbi)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:

Pindav2 temp comp has been made to work with duet by another user. Not too difficult.
https://forum.duet3d.com/topic/17383/polynomial-temp-compensation-for-probes/2

Posted : 15/07/2020 11:18 pm
Nikolai liked
Kolbi
(@kolbi)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:

@nikolai-r

Yup, I did the SKR 1.4pro + TMC2209's also.

Then when I did the Zaribo 10mm upgrade is when I got the duet and other goodies, my sons got that board, skr, and the leftovers to make their own. It was good, and I do like marlin fw - actually Zaribo even sells wiring adapters so people can cross over to SKR easy.

Posted : 15/07/2020 11:25 pm
Nikolai liked
Kolbi
(@kolbi)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:

Power loss resume:

https://duet3d.dozuki.com/Wiki/Setting_up_to_resume_a_print_after_a_power_failure

Posted : 16/07/2020 1:07 am
Nikolai liked
KD
 KD
(@kd)

some posts about people trying to get it working with the duet.

Could you please direct me to those threads? Thinking about MMU2 support on Duet3 myself but cant find any resource.

Posted : 16/07/2020 3:26 pm
Kolbi
(@kolbi)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:

@konpanas

Sure thing, give a look here: https://forum.duet3d.com/search/?term=mmu&in=titlesposts

Posted : 16/07/2020 5:22 pm
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member

@r-kolbi

For me it would be interesting if the Duet2 was available with the Marlin firmware. The i3 offers many good functions, which have to be integrated laboriously into the existing firmware. As long as there is nothing available in this direction, I will stay with the 8-bit version, which works so far. But I do appreciate it very much if people get involved with it and invest the necessary time for it.

Hang on, good job 👍 

Posted : 16/07/2020 6:05 pm
Nikolai
(@nikolai)
Noble Member
Posted by: @karl-herbert

For me it would be interesting if the Duet2 was available with the Marlin firmware.

Why do you want this? There are inexpensive options for marlin firmware. Either 8bit or 32 bit. Why paying more for Duet2 board with marlin firmware?

Often linked posts:
Going small with MMU2
Real Multi Material
My prints on Instagram

Posted : 16/07/2020 6:10 pm
Kolbi
(@kolbi)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:

@karl-herbert

👍 😉