Notifications
Clear all

Remote monitoring of prints  

RSS
Strange_Prints
(@strange_prints)
Remote monitoring of prints

I have come against problems with longer prints failing while I'm at work. I have come to the conclusion that i need to get my setup to a point where I can monitor remotely and cancel/shutdown a print while at work. Is there any best way to do this? maybe a indoor cctv and some sort of power cut off?

Thanks for any advise in advance I do appreciate it

Posted : 14/10/2019 3:15 pm
--
 --
(@)
Illustrious Member
RE: Remote monitoring of prints

Octoprint is by and far above the best and most popular option.

Rpi3 or better, add the cam module, download and run their Linux build - and connect to your wifi and you are golden.  Many threads here, and the Octoprint site has a wealth of info, too.

Posted : 14/10/2019 6:20 pm
x50arm
(@x50arm)
Estimable Member

I went with a cheaper PTZ camera and a power strip I can control from my phone.  Might not be as snazzy as Octoprint, but it is simple and works.

Posted : 15/10/2019 3:07 am
Strange_Prints
(@strange_prints)
Topic starter answered:

I was looking at the octoprint idea in truth. My only concern is i dont have much experience soldering or much money! I figure the camera and power may work for now then get a cheap soldering iron and practice then maybe upgrade next year. is that daft?

Posted : 15/10/2019 8:36 am
--
 --
(@)
Illustrious Member

A Rpi3 kit, monitor, and cables is all you need. It's all plug and play.   You can also buy it all setup from the Octoprint store.

https://octoprint.org/support-octoprint/#kits

Posted : 15/10/2019 6:49 pm
rmm200
(@rmm200)
Noble Member

And like Tim implied - there is no soldering involved. Just plug in a USB cable.

Posted : 15/10/2019 9:42 pm
Strange_Prints
(@strange_prints)
Topic starter answered:

Ah brilliant! Thanks for all the input, its very appreciated. I'll get saving pennies and make an investment soon

Posted : 16/10/2019 8:22 am
Mike Daneman
(@mike-daneman)
Estimable Member

If you don't want to buy the kit, it's pretty easy to just buy an RPi 3B or 3B+ kit like one of these (or you can save ~$7 and print your own case from many available for download). You will also need a micro-SD card (32GB or larger preferably) and a camera (you'll want to also buy a longer ribber cable for the camera).  Then follow the instructions here (they're not too difficult even if you're not familiar with RPi or Linux).  And you'll be up and running.

Posted : 16/10/2019 11:26 pm
The Baron
(@the-baron)

What client do you guys like best and use for remote monitoring on your iOS device? I saw there are several.  

Posted : 03/12/2019 7:50 pm
Mike Daneman
(@mike-daneman)
Estimable Member

@the-baron

I used OctoPod on my iPhone/iPad.  It works pretty well and will send you notifications if you install its Octoprint plugin.  I alternate that with using the web interface using TouchUI, which also works pretty well.

Posted : 03/12/2019 8:25 pm
Share: