Notifications
Clear all

raspberry pi4b mount  

RSS
bboran
(@bboran)
raspberry pi4b mount

Hello i would like to mount my rp4b to my mk3s. There are several options in the prusa upgrades models section but i couldnt decide which one to use I am looking to put my raspberry pi to the printer but want to have as much as stock looking feel and i dont want to power it from printer. What you recommend? Thank you.

Posted : 30/09/2020 5:29 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
RE: raspberry pi4b mount

This is probably to closest:

https://www.prusaprinters.org/prints/9284-prusa-i3-octoprint-raspberry-pi-case

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 30/09/2020 5:43 pm
bboran
(@bboran)
Topic starter answered:

@charles-h13

It requires to connect the pi to motherboard to power up. I dont want that.

Posted : 30/09/2020 6:01 pm
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: @burce-boran

Hello i would like to mount my rp4b to my mk3s. There are several options in the prusa upgrades models section but i couldnt decide which one to use I am looking to put my raspberry pi to the printer but want to have as much as stock looking feel and i dont want to power it from printer. What you recommend? Thank you.

Hello and welcome to the Prusaforum!

For the Pi4 I would definitely recommend an external power supply. I have printed two cases. One for the Pi4 and one for the Meanwell 5V 25W power supply and both attached to the frame of the printer. In thingiverse.com or grabcad.com there are certainly some print templates.

Statt zu klagen, dass wir nicht alles haben, was wir wollen, sollten wir lieber dankbar sein, dass wir nicht alles bekommen, was wir verdienen.

Posted : 30/09/2020 6:51 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

@karl-herbert

Karl, Have your ride the red toaster type of connection though the pins (GPIO)?  I have 8 printer running with this connection and have had zero problems.  They print 6-8 hours per day.

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 30/09/2020 6:53 pm
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member

@charles-h13

Yeah, something like that. The power supply comes from the Meanwell, ground is connected to the Einsy and the data lines are connected via GPIO to the Einsy. Runs since almost 3 years without any disturbances.
The Pi4 already sucks a little more power and therefore I am on the safe side with an external power supply. But there are certainly several possibilities. If it works reliably, it can't be wrong.

I know this connector, but have not tried it yet. But it will work fine for sure. Looks professional in any case.

Statt zu klagen, dass wir nicht alles haben, was wir wollen, sollten wir lieber dankbar sein, dass wir nicht alles bekommen, was wir verdienen.

Posted : 30/09/2020 7:45 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

@karl-herbert

It works without another power supply or cable.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 30/09/2020 8:41 pm
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member

@charles-h13

Yes, i know. The Einsy is very robust and can take a lot, as can the Pi. I also run 100mA over the Pi GPIO connectors (some relays) although in the unofficial documentation only 50mA is possible.
I have been running the Pi3B+ on an external power supply for a few weeks now (on the Mini) and have noticed that on average about 0.6A is drawn. The Einsy easily manages this. It gets more difficult when all USB outputs are loaded, like it's on my MK3 (2 usb cams, touchscreen, keydongle).

Posted : 30/09/2020 9:18 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

@karl-herbert

You have more on yours.  I just have the Pi and a camera.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 30/09/2020 9:44 pm
bboran
(@bboran)
Topic starter answered:

Guys its getting out of topic 🙂 I am still looking for an answer. Thank you.

Posted : 30/09/2020 9:45 pm
Whosinaname
(@whosinaname)

I use this one on my mk3s... Pi 4b frame mount  I then ordered a short usb cable to attach it to the board. Amazon Short Cable  I have a light bar on my mk3s, so I shortened the attachment to lower it just a smidge to fit, but works great and when printed in black petg it fits right in.

Posted : 01/10/2020 12:45 am
Share: