Notifications
Clear all

Raspberry pi zero w died  

RSS
organic
(@organic)
Raspberry pi zero w died

I have killed x2 raspberry pi zero w any one else had a problem killing there raspberry pi zero w?

First one lasted about 2 weeks no problem with it then died not even a boot up light but getting hot to touch.

Second one lasted about a 5 days working fine then died on me well boot light flashing but not connecting to Wi-Fi if I tried the card in a pi 3+ boots up and connects to Wi-Fi so no problem with the octopi image and the settings.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Posted : 02/06/2019 8:59 am
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member
RE: Raspberry pi zero w died

It would help to have more info. How are you powering it? Do you have any accessories fitted? 

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 02/06/2019 3:56 pm
stoelinga14
(@stoelinga14)
Posted by: david.p108

I have killed x2 raspberry pi zero w any one else had a problem killing there raspberry pi zero w?

First one lasted about 2 weeks no problem with it then died not even a boot up light but getting hot to touch.

Second one lasted about a 5 days working fine then died on me well boot light flashing but not connecting to Wi-Fi if I tried the card in a pi 3+ boots up and connects to Wi-Fi so no problem with the octopi image and the settings.

Thanks for any help in advance.

If you have no 3.3 volts on the GPIO header holes but do have 5 volts there, then there is a hardware failure on the board. A different PSU or an OS reload will not fix that.

mcdvoice
Posted : 04/06/2019 9:43 am
organic
(@organic)
Topic starter answered:

Thanks for replaying.

It’s powered from the pins and I do have a pi camera fitted the camera is ZeroCam NightVision one I am thinking that it could be camera as will try my new one without camera and see what happens.

I am off shore so it takes time for me to respond as internet is shite on a good day.

Thanks

Posted : 08/06/2019 12:53 am
ktapper
(@ktapper)

I am have the same problem.  Followed the directions for installing the Pi (Prusaprint) and the Pi overheats and fries.  I don't know why its doing it and I check the soldered pins and they are fine. 

Anyone know why this is happening

Posted : 14/07/2019 1:42 pm
rmm200
(@rmm200)
Noble Member

I suspect there are a lot of clones of the Pi Zero. Make sure you are using an authentic one. They are cheap enough.

Posted : 14/07/2019 2:37 pm
ktapper
(@ktapper)

It is authentic Pi zero.

Posted : 14/07/2019 8:01 pm
organic
(@organic)
Topic starter answered:

I got my from the pi hut so I would like to say yes.

Posted : 14/07/2019 9:23 pm
Bunny Science
(@bunny-science)
Noble Member

Pi Zero dead? Leave it dead. The Octopi author recommends against using the Pi Zero.

Prusa is much more expert on Octopi requirements than its author, right?

Move on to a 3B+ or 4. I made the error of following Prusa's instructions back when I still believed Prusa designs were all optimal and well vetted. The pi Zero sits in a drawer. Very happily printing away with full webcam support and enough CPU to spare with Pi B+ via USB.

Seriously, just leave it dead and move on.

Posted : 15/07/2019 5:00 pm
PJR liked
Nikolai
(@nikolai)
Noble Member

Either add additional cooling to your Pi Zero or switch to something more powerful. There is a reason why it's not advised to add a camera or any other CPU intensive plugins to it.

Often linked posts:
Going small with MMU2
Real Multi Material
My prints on Instagram

Posted : 15/07/2019 6:23 pm
organic
(@organic)
Topic starter answered:

Thank for info I will try with more cooling as some one has given me 2 more to mess about with. I have found a 4mm thick  fan I will see if I can fit to it with longer pins as on use it for sending file to SD card most times.

Posted : 20/07/2019 1:49 am
Pouya
(@pouya)

@david-p108

any updates on that? I just registered to say I have the same problem. I recently build a mk3s and used a pi zero from the start. a couple of times printer just stoped mid print with gibberish on the display (only when printing with the pi)

last night i left it to print and woke up to a blank display and a dead pie. I came up this post when searching for overheated Pi zero in mk3s. 

I'm not sure if the manufacturere will warantie my pi but would like to know if more cooling helped in your case? for my next pie 😀

PS: I did not have a camera or run anything fancy on the pie just the normal octopi image

Posted : 24/11/2019 11:02 am
towlerg
(@towlerg)
Noble Member

As others have posted, the zero is very dated and weak. The 3B seems to be the safe option nevertheless, the odds on two examples of (presumably) reputable hardware failing in such a very short time is pretty large. Look at PSU and any inputs or outputs, consider using resistors to limit outputs and protect inputs. In worst case, diode clamps.

Posted : 24/11/2019 12:49 pm
Pouya
(@pouya)

@towlerg

of course you are right 100% about it being not early as powerful. Never the less I found the idea behind having it integrated ( not needing another psu, cables and stuff ) really nice when I saw the gpio headers on the prusa board.

I already have a Pie 2b which I've been using for years with my old printer ( really old 😀 ) i can use that as a last resort. but I was wondering if maybe the heat management (adding a heat sink or fan or...) would be enough to just make the zero not die 😀  I just need it to print no timelapse no need for complex plugins and slicing  nothing fancy.

Posted : 24/11/2019 1:04 pm
custer.andrew
(@custer-andrew)

has anyone else been having this issue? this just happened to me on my Pi zero 2 which is more powerful and recommended unlike the original pi zero... 

Posted : 28/08/2023 7:00 pm
Share: