Notifications
Clear all

problems after using an enclosure  

RSS
Pojamapeoples
(@pojamapeoples)
problems after using an enclosure

Hi,

I build my i3 MK3S and it worked perfect without any problems from the start. I'm very happy with my printer.
So I build the enclosure found on the prusa site - worked well too. But after I put my printer into the enclosure some problems occurred and IMHO they are all connected to the higher temperature inside of the enclosure.
First problem - and this was a heavy one: the PTFE tube was clogged at the top. Seems to me that the PLA was warm and soft and this produced the feeding problem and the clogged tube. Was not so easy to get the stuff out again.
Second problem: when printing PETG and do have much more stringing then before.

So my question is: should I remove the plexiglass walls of my enclosure to get more air flow or are there any other tips like reducing the temperature of the hotend that you would suggest?

Thanks!!!

Posted : 10/04/2019 1:36 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member
Re: problems after using an enclosure

The E3D V6 hotend used in the Mk 3 is rated to operate in ambient temps up to 40C. If your enclosure temps are warmer, you need to cool it. Opening doors or removing panels is one way. Someone posted a very nice mod to the Lack enclosure design that provides pocket doors.

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 10/04/2019 1:58 pm
Martin_au
(@martin_au)
Reputable Member
Re: problems after using an enclosure

This is why my enclosure can be a “non-enclosure” when required. Pla likes low ambient temps. It’s very hard to keep things cool without much of a temperature delta between motors/heat sinks and ambient.

Posted : 12/04/2019 12:09 am
OPK
 OPK
(@opk)
Trusted Member
RE: problems after using an enclosure

Hi,

An enclosure should be just that: closed... In order to fix the cooling issue, I'm pulling cool outside air via a tube to my print head. I had the enclosure temp up to 50 degrees and all works like a dream.

Here is how I did it;

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3502557

Posted : 30/05/2019 12:59 am
Peter M
(@peter-m)
Noble Member

Blow air in your enclosure, while printing pla, with abs i would not, blow air in lower part off the printer.

Second i have a extra cooling fan on to off the extruder(on thingiverse), that blows air , from extruder to the top off the enclosure. this to cool down the extruder motor, and that no heat can go to the fillamant. This cools the extruder very good.

Leave door open wenn printing pla , with abs close the doors

Posted : 30/05/2019 5:55 am
OPK
 OPK
(@opk)
Trusted Member

Opening parts of the enclosure lets the smell, noise and micro particles out; I build my enclosure to get rid of that, so I keep the door closed. The "outside" air used to cool the extruder can be minimal, as it is cool (circulating air inside the enclosure is very inefficient). Besides that, it creates a light over-pressure inside the enclosure so fumes go out a vent in the top of my enclosure (and into my ventilation system).

Adding weight (like a fan) to the extruder effects the print quality, you want to keep that to a minimum. An adding a fan without increasing the cooling surface area with cooling blocks is useless. I measured the effect of a 40mm fan attached to the extruder motor with my flir camera and the effect is negligible. 

Heatcreap goes from the extruder to the motor, preferably you cool the source.

This way I have no problem with warping 🙂

Posted : 30/05/2019 2:23 pm
Peter M
(@peter-m)
Noble Member

To ad the small fan and stl file.

this part is very lite and does not make printing worse,

because it is very very very lite.

Posted : 01/06/2019 5:30 pm
dobbewan
(@dobbewan)
Trusted Member

The E3D V6 hotend used in the Mk 3 is rated to operate in ambient temps up to 40C. If your enclosure temps are warmer, you need to cool it. Opening doors or removing panels is one way. Someone posted a very nice mod to the Lack enclosure design that provides pocket doors.

The E3d V6 can handle well over that temperature. Even with the smaller stock heatbreak and stock ptfe, It is capable of way higher temps.... The issue would be the stock PETG printed extruder body. Every Prusa that I own I have reprinted the extruder body and other parts at at least a nylon.  Next upgrade would be to ditch the stock Noctua fan and opt for a more powerful sunon. The original design of the extruder is starved for cooling from the start.  

My highly modified prusa prints in a enclosure with the ambient temperature at 60-70c with no issues. At those temps you are fighting to keep the steppers cool though. 

Posted : 03/06/2019 6:27 pm
Share: