Clear all

Pi0W gpio to update firmware?  

RSS
Asraff Amzani
(@asraff-amzani)
Estimable Member
Pi0W gpio to update firmware?

Hi,

I am curious if it is possible for the pi0w to update the einsy rambo's firmware via the gpio?

I am not seeking a short answer such as

• "no it won't work because octoprint/gina/foosel said so"
  • "pi0w wasn't recommended by foosel"
  • "pi0w don't have capacity"
  • "pi0w not powerful enough"

As far as I know the board resets several time during the falshing, but what happened to the gpio line, does pi0w's power been cut off as well during the process? or the serial connection terminated by itself?

Since pi0w don't have that performance as pi3b+ does, we just have to wait until it is complete eventually correct?

Posted : 27/09/2020 9:52 am
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
RE: Pi0W gpio to update firmware?

I would post this on the Octoprint website.  You may or may not get the answer here.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 27/09/2020 12:27 pm
Asraff Amzani
(@asraff-amzani)
Estimable Member
Topic starter answered:

@charles-h13

The reason why I post here, the way pi0w connected to the einsy rambo are not by using conventional usb cable along with another external 5v power. The one from prusa's guide are all from einsy rambo, 5v power is directly from einsy rambo, while serial over gpio may be just similar to conventional usb cable.

Posted : 27/09/2020 1:36 pm
towlerg
(@towlerg)
Noble Member

You are quite correct not posting to the Octoprint site because anyone who responds will say one of those things you don't want to hear, probably a modified version on no. 2 but changing "not recommended" to (quickly checks antonym of recommended but nothing suitable) something along the lines of "don't do it".

But what the hell, its your choice.

Posted : 27/09/2020 4:34 pm
bobstro liked
Asraff Amzani
(@asraff-amzani)
Estimable Member
Topic starter answered:

@towlerg

I also would like to add that, einsy rambo are pretty much by prusa research/ultimaker. In prusa's guide to add pi0w, there's a comment that someone asking if they could update firmware via gpio, the answer was one of what I wouldn't prefer either "not recommended" or "you can't" only. But I would like to have a detailed explanation why it is not possible

Posted : 27/09/2020 6:17 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: @sarf2k4

[...] But I would like to have a detailed explanation why it is not possible

The Raspberry Pi Zero has a single core CPU and relatively slow clock speed. If any process becomes CPU bound, communications can be interrupted, resulting in a corrupted installation at best, and bricking of the device is a possibility (though not likely on the Prusa as I understand it).

This infographic may help explain the reason an underpowered device is not recommended.

But hey, do what you like. It might work well enough for your purposes. Maybe once. It is not supported or recommended.

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 27/09/2020 7:15 pm
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member

I also think that everyone should do what they think is right. Sooner or later timing problems will become apparent and reduce the joy of printing (or maybe not).

The comparison with the mule is great, by the way 👍 

Statt zu klagen, dass wir nicht alles haben, was wir wollen, sollten wir lieber dankbar sein, dass wir nicht alles bekommen, was wir verdienen.

Posted : 27/09/2020 7:42 pm
Asraff Amzani
(@asraff-amzani)
Estimable Member
Topic starter answered:

Let's say I'm using a pi3b, can I use the firmware updater plugin for octoprint and update the einsy rambo firmware successfully?

Posted : 09/10/2020 11:24 am
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

@sarf2k4

I have never seen that done.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 09/10/2020 12:27 pm
Asraff Amzani
(@asraff-amzani)
Estimable Member
Topic starter answered:

@charles-h13

I forgot to mention, via normal usb connection, not gpio

Posted : 09/10/2020 12:52 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: @sarf2k4

Let's say I'm using a pi3b, can I use the firmware updater plugin for octoprint and update the einsy rambo firmware successfully?

I routinely update my Mk3 firmware using a RPi running Octoprint connected via USB.

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 09/10/2020 1:08 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

@bobstro

Oh, confused me.  This is how I do it - via USB.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 09/10/2020 1:27 pm
Share: