Clear all

Ordered Bear upgrade!  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
matthew.m63
(@matthew-m63)
Trusted Member
Ordered Bear upgrade!

Is it worth it? What can i expect? will it reduce ghosting?

Posted : 01/03/2019 6:11 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
Re: Ordered Bear upgrade!

https://shop.prusa3d.com/forum/user-mods-octoprint-enclosures-nozzles--f43/prusa-bear-upgrade-t18149.html

MK3 to bear probably not worth the cash.

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 03/03/2019 3:53 am
yossi
(@yossi-2)
RE: Ordered Bear upgrade!

Lol its worth every penny. U can increase speeds dramatically.

U will not have stability issues anymore. Squaring the frame is easy. You can pick up the printer and move around without its getting out of alignment.. No scary how I am gonna clean beneath the printer anymore lol.. there is of course more advantages..

Uh and it looks better 😉

This post was modified 5 years ago by yossi
Posted : 14/08/2019 10:51 am
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
Posted by: yosef.m

U will not have stability issues anymore. Squaring the frame is easy. You can pick up the printer and move around without its getting out of alignment.. No scary how I am gonna clean beneath the printer anymore lol.. there is of course more advantages..

I have never had that problem and I move mine all the time.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 14/08/2019 3:06 pm
vintagepc
(@vintagepc)

Ditto. The ringing I'm seeing with a stock frame is not going to be improved by frame rigidity. Nor have I had issues after moving the printer. But I do have to agree the bear mod makes the printer even more of a looker.

Posted : 14/08/2019 3:09 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
Posted by: vintagepc

Ditto. The ringing I'm seeing with a stock frame is not going to be improved by frame rigidity. Nor have I had issues after moving the printer. But I do have to agree the bear mod makes the printer even more of a looker.

That I agree with.  I am building one but not for improved printing.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 14/08/2019 3:38 pm
yossi
(@yossi-2)

Well actually it does print better because you assemble the machine much better accuracy than before. Everything is more straight. You can play with positions of parts to square and align things around. 

Also the Printer produces less noise since you have less resonance which directly reduces artifacts. It has larger footprint. That's the case for zaribo haribo or bear. 

Well bear is not for overcoming the ringing issue, and that you know very well with your 0.9 motor problems just like me 😉

With the flex that z axis metal sheet has there is no way the prusa stock frame not getting out of alignment when you move it around or you tilt it to its side to adjust something. It's the prusa software that aligns things and compensates for that.. 

Posted : 14/08/2019 4:08 pm
vintagepc
(@vintagepc)

Dunno but my kit went together fine as it was without needing to be able to twiddle/square things. There are a few simple user mods to kill resonance (hard feet, EINSY side frame brace). My axes have 0.01 degree of skew or less; I've noticed very little change in that or the bed levelling even after moving the printer around. 

My ringing comment was in regards to the OP asking about ghosting. I'm not sure why you're inferring it has anything to do with 0.9 degree motors which are for printing VFAs due to motor cycles; they are completely orthogonal issues.

I'm not disagreeing the bear upgrade is a quality kit (and I'll admit I came close to springing for one), but I'm still skeptical of the purported gains over stock if the time is taken to assemble a stock kit right, and given the print quality of my printer without the upgrade (and even before the following changes), I no longer saw a reason to get it for improved print performance. I'm much more satisfied having spent a bit less money on the following hardware:

1. Building a skelestruder

2. 0.9 degree motors on X and Y

3. Vesconite bushings

4. Hard feet and a marble slab on which the printer sits.

In this hobby one can spend an inversely proportional amount of money chasing smaller and smaller gains. It's just where each of us draws the line that it differs.

Posted : 14/08/2019 5:18 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

I will tell you that the print quality is 100x better than my two Creality Printers, My Anycubic, or The Tevo my Neighbor has.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 15/08/2019 1:19 am
bobstro liked
ben_r_
(@ben_r_)
Trusted Member

Yea that Bear extruded aluminum frame mod is mostly marketing and aesthetics. By adding more points that need to be squared you are just adding more points to be out of square. There is no need for more rigidity even if it did add any. Do you know how many stock Prusa printers out there have been printing perfectly for years with the stock thick sheet metal frame?! PLENTY!

If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Posted : 02/09/2019 7:49 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

I am building a Bear right now to compare.  It will be my third MK3S.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 02/09/2019 7:59 pm
servane.t and bobstro liked
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: vintagepc

[...] In this hobby one can spend an inversely proportional amount of money chasing smaller and smaller gains. It's just where each of us draws the line that it differs.

Well said, sir! I like that.

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 02/09/2019 8:32 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: charles.h13

Look forward to your results. Your willingness to spend the money to try things out has saved me a lot of money and frustration. Thanks for sharing your data.

He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 02/09/2019 8:34 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
Posted by: bobstro

Look forward to your results. Your willingness to spend the money to try things out has saved me a lot of money and frustration. Thanks for sharing your data.

I aim to serve.  I am going to put a mosquito magnum and bondtech on it.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 02/09/2019 10:01 pm
Sink
 Sink
(@sink)
Estimable Member

Charles .. you are a madman .. love it ..

viel Glück

Posted : 03/09/2019 6:31 am
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
Posted by: gary.s4

Charles .. you are a madman .. love it ..

viel Glück

I will post an update.  I am about 15-20% done and it has gone smooth thus far.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 03/09/2019 3:37 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member

I aim to serve.  I am going to put a mosquito magnum and bondtech on it.  

I've considered picking up a Monoprice Select Mini Pro. You know, just in case you want to try one...

Posted : 03/09/2019 3:44 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

Too small for me.  I have a friend that has one.  It is cute but 4.7 inches is small.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 03/09/2019 3:50 pm
Will
 Will
(@will)

Wondering if you could PM me details on the upgrades you performed. I have a few questions if you are willing to share your experience. I am looking to replace my bearings and need some guidance.

Thanks

Posted : 11/09/2019 12:38 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

Would an upgrade thread be something of interest?  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 11/09/2019 2:48 pm
Boulder liked
Page 1 / 2
Share: