Clear all

Octoprint crashing  

RSS
Robb
 Robb
(@robb)
Eminent Member
Octoprint crashing

I've been using Octoprint for my MK3S for the past month or so and every several days it would crash. This past time I tried to ssh into it, but there wasn't even an output being generated and I could only power cycle.  I'm running octoprint version 1.3.11 on my Prusa running fw 3.8.0-2684 with a pi 3 B+.  I attached the log generated.  

Any ideas?

Posted : 07/10/2019 5:39 pm
rmm200
(@rmm200)
Noble Member
RE: Octoprint crashing

What is your power source for the Pi?

What Plugins are you using? And did you try disabling them?

Any chance you could swap in another Pi?

An awful lot of people are running Pi 3Bs without similar problems, which make a hardware issue more likely.

Posted : 07/10/2019 5:43 pm
ACE
 ACE
(@ace-2)
Trusted Member
powersource is the number one troublemaker for raspberrys. are you running buster on the pi? there are still a few reported issues..
Posted : 07/10/2019 6:01 pm
Robb
 Robb
(@robb)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:

@robert-rmm200

I'm using the original wall power wart, so hopefully no wall power issues.

As for plugins I'm using Action Command Prompt, Bed Visualizer, Better HeaterTimeout, Firmware Updater, Octoprint Anywhere, Octolapse, PrintTimeGenious, Simple Emergency Stop, Spaghetti Detective, Themeify, and ipOnConnect.  

Unless the pi is getting overloaded and overheating bad, I don't think any of these would necessarily stop the pi in its tracks.  I could always pick up another pi, just rather not if I don't have to naturally.

Posted : 07/10/2019 6:03 pm
rmm200
(@rmm200)
Noble Member

I think your easiest course is to download a new Octoprint build to a micro SD card, and pop that in.

Try running without plugins for a couple of days.

If your hangs stop, we can start to narrow down the cause.

Let me add - you are adventuresome. I run just Firmware Updater, OctoLapse, and Dashboard. I can vouch for those.

This post was modified 4 years ago by rmm200
Posted : 07/10/2019 6:09 pm
rmm200
(@rmm200)
Noble Member
Posted by: @christoph-e5
powersource is the number one troublemaker for raspberrys. are you running buster on the pi? there are still a few reported issues..

He has a 3B. I do not expect power problems with the original Pi wall wart. Buster... Maybe...

Posted : 07/10/2019 6:12 pm
Robb
 Robb
(@robb)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:

@robert-rmm200

I'll give that a go and report back if I have issues.  I read somewhere power cycling a pi is bad, so maybe the issues are stacking, causing more crashes.

Posted : 07/10/2019 6:21 pm
rmm200
(@rmm200)
Noble Member
Posted by: @th3radman

@robert-rmm200

I'll give that a go and report back if I have issues.  I read somewhere power cycling a pi is bad, so maybe the issues are stacking, causing more crashes.

Against all advice - I run my Pi 3B off the Prusa power supply through a buck converter. When I power off the printer - the Pi has power pulled out from under him. Never gets a Shutdown. So far no problems at all. Worst case - I restore a backup micro SD.

Posted : 07/10/2019 6:28 pm
Dave Avery
(@dave-avery)
Honorable Member

Spaghetti Detective + Octolapse + Octoprint Anywhere can put a prety heavy load on the system  ( each is grabbing a copy of the video stream)

Posted : 07/10/2019 6:40 pm
rmm200
(@rmm200)
Noble Member

May have a test case for a Pi 4 here - if the 3B is actually getting overloaded.

Posted : 07/10/2019 7:36 pm
ACE
 ACE
(@ace-2)
Trusted Member

if it is plugin related octoprint safemode will show it. fire it up in safemode and make a testrun.if problems do notshow up then investigate in plugins direction.

Posted : 07/10/2019 7:42 pm
Robb
 Robb
(@robb)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:

Is there a plugin that shows pi usage and temp via octoprint gui?  I didn't see anything from a quick google search, that might at least give me a hint if the pi is under powered

Posted : 07/10/2019 9:04 pm
Nikolai
(@nikolai)
Noble Member

I would take a new SD card, install fresh Octopi on it and let it run for couple weeks. If there will be no crashes, then you know your power supply and your board is still good.

Then you can add your plugins and see if Pi is overheating or still running stable. This way you can check every component one by one.

Often linked posts:
Going small with MMU2
Real Multi Material
My prints on Instagram

Posted : 07/10/2019 9:38 pm
Dave Avery
(@dave-avery)
Honorable Member

easy test - ssh to the pi and run top - it shows the system load

also the new dashboard plugin shows system load

Posted : 08/10/2019 2:03 pm