Clear all

MK3S Bear Upgrade problms  

RSS
Carl A
(@carl-a)
Estimable Member
MK3S Bear Upgrade problms

I have the following problem:

When I start a print, the extruder does the 9 point check, moves to the left home and then back to right and gives me a "remove filament" request, I remove the filament, autoload a new filament, then the extruder moves back to home and right back to the "filament remove" position and request.

After numerous testing I found that I could select the "Support...Sensor state" menu item and it will print as long as the menu is in that position. (printed a 4 hour print successfully). As soon as I press the select knob on the LCD the print stops and immediately goes to the "remove filament" position and menu request.

I disconnected the IR filament sensor but made no difference.

The autoload works just fine. Turning it off does not stop the problem either.

The Printer Wizard checks all systems OK. (and I did use the BEAR wizard for the xyz calibration as required for the BEAR extruder mod).

I have flashed different firmware with no difference; sliced items on two computers using Prusa Slicer; tried printing with the files saved as MK3, MK3S, MK2.5, MK2.5S Gcodes with no difference (printer says not right printer slice for all but the MK3S; Used Prontoface via USB; tried a non-MMU 2 color print and (if menu set as "support...sensor state") it prints OK till it moves to right for a filament change, at that point I have to press the knob to change the filament and at that point it commences failures as before, even when I immediately go back to the menu "support ... sensor state" as the extruder moves from the right corner back to the print point.

Don't know where to go from here. AN LCD problem? An Enisy Rambo problem?

I would think an IR sensor problem but the autoload works and the problem does NOT go away when it is disconnected.

I have checks all connections and they are ok.

I have ongoing discussions with GitHub and Ultimachine persons about this and their suggestions have been a great help but have not solved the problems to date.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Posted : 21/03/2020 5:29 pm
observatoer
(@observatoer)
RE: MK3S Bear Upgrade problms

Had the same issue just yesterday. I did a full reset of the printer and had no issues since.

Posted : 23/03/2020 5:54 pm
Carl A
(@carl-a)
Estimable Member
Topic starter answered:

a few questions:

do you have the BEAR extruder upgrade installed?

was the issue with the extruder continually repeating the "change filament" cycle?

if yes to both, did you have to do the BEAR FirmWare flash and do a complete Wizard calibration? or just an XYZ calibration? or none at all?

I know that when you do a complete system reset that it offers some choices as to what you want done, I asume from your statement that you did a COMPLETE reset and had to start from scratch as you would with a new printer.

Posted : 26/03/2020 6:05 pm
observatoer
(@observatoer)

- I have the Bondtech/Mosquito Update installed on my MK3s/MMU2s
- Yes, the error came up continuously 
- You need the Bear Firmware only for the Bear Extruder because of the different position of the extruder (same pos as MK3, but MK3s changed)
- I did a complete reset and started from scratch. It was good invested time (±30min). 

Posted : 26/03/2020 6:21 pm
Carl A
(@carl-a)
Estimable Member
Topic starter answered:

Thanks for the advice but I just did a complete reset, downloaded the Bear FW and did a complete calibration. Tried to print and had the exact same results. Then I flashed the PRUSA 3.8.1 FW and same results.

Process: Held reset button on LCD till beep then pressed the knob when PRUSA name showed, selected delete all data; flashed printer with BEAR FW; followed the procedure stated in the BEAR manual but got failure when it started to do the Z calibration; did a complete self test and all came out OK. Tried a print but extruder stopped and went to remove filament position and said press knob and remove filament; pressed the LCD reset button and turned then off the printer and tries again, same results; Flashed with the PRUSA 3.8.1 FW and did the same annd got same results; did a soft reset and loaded a design to print, went to menu "support..sensor-state" left the menu and it is printing as before.

If you did something different then maybe I missed something.

Posted : 28/03/2020 11:26 pm
Carl A
(@carl-a)
Estimable Member
Topic starter answered:

Just did a 13 hour print with the menu in "Support...Sensor State" selection with great results but it only works in this menu selection.

I have both a new PRUSA LCD and IR filament sensor that I can try. I assume that the LCD replacement does not require another Calibration as I guess the FW resides on the Enisy board.

Posted : 30/03/2020 3:03 pm
Carl A
(@carl-a)
Estimable Member
Topic starter answered:

I have a BEAR extruder upgrade lever problem I think. Found a posting on the PRUSA trouble shooting guide that addresses this problem but not the particular cause I found. Menue set to "Support..Sensor State" and my IR sensor reading is "0" no matter what I do. So I put lifted out the sensor and put a piece of filament between the sensors poles and it reads "1". I changed out the IR sensor with another one from PRUSA and had same results. It appears that the part of the lever in the Bear Extruder Upgrade that sticks between the IR sensor poles is either not long enough or two thin to block the signal. I am going to do a slight mod on the lever and see if that works. Will update.

Posted : 30/03/2020 4:07 pm
Carl A
(@carl-a)
Estimable Member
Topic starter answered:

Success. The lever was not tripping the IR sensor, even when out of extruder and manually trying it. I reprinted the sensor lever using a .05mm layer setting and it works fine. I should have noted that the "0" reading for the IR sensor was wrong but didn't.

Thanks for all the help. My Bear Prusa MK3S Clone with a Bear frame and extruder appears to be working fine.

Posted : 30/03/2020 7:14 pm
Share: