Clear all

Lack enclosure noise reduction question - MMU2S version  

RSS
spiff72
(@spiff72)
Trusted Member
Lack enclosure noise reduction question - MMU2S version

Hello all,

I just had a question about adding a noise-reducing element to my printer to keep it quiet.  I have been running my printer on felt "feet" inside my (tall MMU2 version) of the Lack Enclosure.  I recently got some sorbothane-like feet and tried them out on my printer, and I liked the noise reduction, but it seemed to enhance vibrations - especially on taller parts (the whole printer would wobble on the feet because of their compliance/flexibility).  So I put the felt feet back on and just put the sorbothane feet under the enclosure (my enclosure has no legs - it just sits on a table/desk).

I was at a Home Depot the other day and bought a 16" x 16" concrete paver with the thought of using that, but after getting home, it occurred to be that it would be too tall and would bring the MMU too close to the top of the enclosure, so I haven't even bothered trying that option.

So my question is whether anyone has tried a thinner, but still dense, material like a ceramic floor tile as a sound deadener?  My thought is that I could put some thin rubber feet on the tile, and keep the felt feet on the printer to keep it at a lower height.

I feel like a lot of the sound coming from the printer is coming from the printer vibrating the bottom of the enclosure (which is a hollow honeycomb structure and this acts like a sound board and amplifies the noise.

Any thoughts/comments out there?  Would a thinner ceramic tile accomplish anything?

Posted : 03/12/2020 1:45 pm
spiff72
(@spiff72)
Trusted Member
Topic starter answered:
RE: Lack enclosure noise reduction question - MMU2S version

My edit didn't post, so adding additional detail with this comment - the wobble with the sorbothane feet was most pronounced on tall parts, where the extruder was toward the top of the printer, and the quick changes/reversals in the X-direction would cause a side-side wobble due to the mass of the extruder being up high.

Posted : 03/12/2020 1:56 pm
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member
RE: Lack enclosure noise reduction question - MMU2S version

@spiff72

Many report that a solid (2cm) stone or lightweight concrete panel has a good damping effect.
I myself did not install a stone panel but half squash balls and I am satisfied with it.

Statt zu klagen, dass wir nicht alles haben, was wir wollen, sollten wir lieber dankbar sein, dass wir nicht alles bekommen, was wir verdienen.

Posted : 03/12/2020 2:55 pm
Share: