Is it possible to swap out the LCD unit for a Full Graphic Smart Controller by reprap?

Notifications
Clear all

Is it possible to swap out the LCD unit for a Full Graphic Smart Controller by reprap?  

RSS
sebastian.w8
(@sebastian-w8)

Is there a tutorial for this?

Afaik i have to compile my own firmware. Is that true?

Posted : 25/05/2021 3:04 pm
--
 --
(@)
Illustrious Member
RE: Is it possible to swap out the LCD unit for a Full Graphic Smart Controller by reprap?

Not as far as I have read, and yes a full recompile would be needed - but probably impossible. My understanding is there is not a lot of room left in the EPROM for extra libraries or the code to use a better display. 

Posted : 26/05/2021 6:46 pm
sebastian.w8
(@sebastian-w8)
Topic starter answered:
RE: Is it possible to swap out the LCD unit for a Full Graphic Smart Controller by reprap?
Posted by: @

Not as far as I have read, and yes a full recompile would be needed - but probably impossible. My understanding is there is not a lot of room left in the EPROM for extra libraries or the code to use a better display. 

Hello, thank you for your reply.

This man managed to make it work on his CTC Prusa i3. He's running marlin on it which is relatively easy to compile.

Is it possible to run Marlin on an Original Prusa i3 mk3?

Posted : 31/05/2021 3:22 pm
sebastian.w8
(@sebastian-w8)
Topic starter answered:

If my understanding is correct, all I have to do is dl the src from here, apply the changes from the aforementioned tutorial, compile and flash.

Posted : 02/06/2021 11:56 am
sebastian.w8
(@sebastian-w8)
Topic starter answered:

The i3 mk3 uses Ultimachine's Einsy Rambo, doesn't it?

Posted : 11/06/2021 11:11 am
Baklin
(@baklin)
Reputable Member

You can probably get marlin to run the MK3. But you will loose all the work Prusa put into the firmware.

Prusa uses the Einsy board. There have been 2 versions used in the MK3. In the later MK3, Mk3S and MK3s+ the same boards were used.

For me personally it bigger screen wouldn't be worth the work and losing the firmware that Prusa put all that time and effort in.

Posted : 11/06/2021 12:17 pm
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member

@sebastian-w8

I would consider installing Klipper or a 32-bit board as an alternative. As has already been mentioned, Prusa has invested a lot of work in the MKx firmware and the 8-bit board is memory-wise at the limit.

wbr,

Karl

Statt zu klagen, dass wir nicht alles haben, was wir wollen, sollten wir lieber dankbar sein, dass wir nicht alles bekommen, was wir verdienen.

Posted : 11/06/2021 9:58 pm
sebastian.w8
(@sebastian-w8)
Topic starter answered:
Posted by: @karl-herbert

@sebastian-w8

I would consider installing Klipper or a 32-bit board as an alternative. As has already been mentioned, Prusa has invested a lot of work in the MKx firmware and the 8-bit board is memory-wise at the limit.

wbr,

Karl

Hi Karl,

Thanks for your reply. What are the advantages and disadvantages from using Klipper over Prusa's firmware? Which 32-Bit board would you suggest for a i3 mk3s?

best regards Seb

Posted : 21/06/2021 11:08 am
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member

@sebastian-w8

The Raspi (3B+ or 4B) has much more power than the Einsyboard and takes the essential computing routines from it. This could be interesting when working with 0.9 steppers and higher feed rates. The print quality can also be increased.
For me it would be the first alternative to the Einsy, because the installation is a bit easier than adapting the Prusa firmware to a 32-bit board.
I myself will start first tests with Klipper soon.
32-bit board would be the next option. If you want to stay with Marlin, this board would be suitable:

SKR1.4 Pro

or

with RepRap-FW -> DUET 2

https://forum.prusa3d.com/forum/original-prusa-i3-mk3s-mk3-user-mods-octoprint-enclosures-nozzles-.../sucessful-duet-wifi-installation/

wbr,

Karl

Statt zu klagen, dass wir nicht alles haben, was wir wollen, sollten wir lieber dankbar sein, dass wir nicht alles bekommen, was wir verdienen.

Posted : 21/06/2021 5:30 pm
Share: