Notifications
Clear all

IKEA LACK printer farm for 12 printers. Is it possible?  

RSS
Out Of Marbles
(@out-of-marbles)
IKEA LACK printer farm for 12 printers. Is it possible?

Hey all,

So in the near future, I will be ordering 10x Prusa mk3s. I have a startup business, printing marble machines, but so far I am doing it from home, so I have sort of limited space.

I would love to go with industrial shelving, but space is an issue. IKEA LACK tables are a perfect fit for where I'm planning on having a printer farm.

The problem is, IKEA lack tables are... well cheap and made out of cardboard 😀  And I am not sure that they could hold up the weight of all the printers plus 4x 2.5kg filaments on top of each stack. Printers are 6.5kg also, so essentially on bottom IKEA LACK is around 30kg. That is a lot, and one way I can solve this is to hang the filament from the wall/ceiling so that it is not resting on the LACK tables.

Also, I am not sure if I could route the filament to the bottom printers, but I think it's manageable.

I am currently designing brackets that will hold tables together at all intersections so that it essentially becomes one shelf, and I would screw it into the walls also.

What do you guys think? is that too much to ask from Lack tables?  I will not be enclosing them, I will just put dust mesh filters on. I still need to source the dust mesh filters though...

Posted : 23/01/2020 10:12 am
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
RE: IKEA LACK printer farm for 12 printers. Is it possible?

Yes.  I have 12 cubes with 6 printers.  One is for a photo cube.  The others store filament.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 23/01/2020 10:47 am
Out Of Marbles
(@out-of-marbles)
Topic starter answered:

@charles-h13

nice, thanks for the reply... can you maybe post an image? 🙂

did you end up designing your own brackets? or did you use metal ones such as these ones:

I measured it and I suppose I could get away with not lifting the tables up with 3d printed brackets... but then its quite a tight fit.

Posted : 23/01/2020 11:06 am
rmm200
(@rmm200)
Noble Member

I think you would be OK with the compressive force - but I would worry a lot about the single screw holding the legs to the top.

If your stack starts to shift - it is all going down.

Make sure the legs are well braced - and good luck! And be careful taking a printer out for maintenance.

Posted : 23/01/2020 6:25 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
Posted by: @luka

@charles-h13

nice, thanks for the reply... can you maybe post an image? 🙂

did you end up designing your own brackets? or did you use metal ones such as these ones:

I measured it and I suppose I could get away with not lifting the tables up with 3d printed brackets... but then its quite a tight fit.

I did not mount them to one another.  I thought about.  I would like to see what you come up with.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 23/01/2020 7:02 pm
Out Of Marbles
(@out-of-marbles)
Topic starter answered:

@robert-rmm200

no that bracket image was just an example... I would end up using something like this, if i went with metal options:

or if i went with 3D printed parts, its going to be something like this:

and now I also need to design connecting pieces...

Im not really sure which way would be better... I guess the metal brackets would be stronger, but then I dont get any additional height, and then it would be quite tight height wise...

Posted : 23/01/2020 7:26 pm
John
 John
(@john-6)
Reputable Member

If the total weight of each stack is approx 30 kg then that is nothing. Each leg will be carrying 8.5 kg. I’m sure you could stand on the lack without it collapsing. 
As mentioned. Unfixed, sliding off could be an issue but virtually any fixing providing it is tight would be suitable.

The main concern would be someone trying to climb it and tipping the whole lot over. It must be fixed back to a wall or something. 

the tidiest solution to both fixing issues might be a vertical length of timber running up the back of the legs nearest the wall. Fix legs to that and the timber to the wall. 

i3 Mk3 [aug 2018] upgrade>>> i3MK3/S+[Dec 2023]

Posted : 23/01/2020 9:17 pm
DarcShadow
(@darcshadow)
Trusted Member

By the time you buy all the tables and made the various modifications, would it not be easier and cheaper to buy some lumber and custom build a shelf system?

Posted : 23/01/2020 10:24 pm
towlerg liked
JBinFL
(@jbinfl)
Reputable Member

That weight would not be anything as said above... but you probably do want to put a marble or paver underneath each printer as that setup could get loud without it.

The downside I see is potential resonance between the different LACK tables causing wobble problems.  They are not that sturdy in the purchased configuration.  That could definitely be done, but different leg supports either 3d printed or L shaped metal braces screwed to the bottoms of the legs to reinforce would be recommended.  Also if you had the room a 4 wide by three tall might be better.

If you do it, post pictures...

Strange women, laying in ponds, distributing swords, is hardly a basis for a system of governance!

Posted : 23/01/2020 10:57 pm
Out Of Marbles
(@out-of-marbles)
Topic starter answered:

thanks for all the input so far.

I already ordered 8 lack tables, so that is why I'm not going with lumber and shelf system, even though I have lumber at home, but not the shelves... And I want to be able to take it apart next year probably and it's just easier with a bunch of lack tables.

alright so 30kg will not be an issue, I suppose you are right, I can sit on lack tables and they are fine. All of the lack tables will be joined together to create one big "table" and will also probably be screwed into the wall at a few spots.

what do you mean by putting marble or paver underneath the printers?

Posted : 23/01/2020 11:40 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

No issues with resonance for me.  I used a 18inch ceramic tile under each printer.  Pavers are over kill.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 24/01/2020 1:48 am
Nikolai
(@nikolai)
Noble Member

I‘m pretty sure the tables can hold the weight. Anyway, I would also go for other shelving options in that size. Something more sturdy and easier to build up. You‘ve spent a lot of money for 12 printers. Why going cheap with a shelf? 

Often linked posts:
Going small with MMU2
Real Multi Material
My prints on Instagram

Posted : 24/01/2020 5:47 am
towlerg
(@towlerg)
Noble Member

@luka

"what do you mean by putting marble or paver underneath the printers?"

I would imagine it's to dampen vibration.

I also would be worried resonances set up by printers (especially if they were in "phase" - solders always march over a bridge out of step). Oh yer, and the climbing thing.

If they are standing on a damp surface, take precautions, the legs are cheap MDF.

What sort of environment will they be running in, perhaps you should enclose them? 

Posted : 24/01/2020 12:47 pm
DarcShadow
(@darcshadow)
Trusted Member
Posted by: @nikolai-r

You‘ve spent a lot of money for 12 printers. Why going cheap with a shelf? 

Agree, little like buying a Ferrari then parking it under a car port. 

Posted : 24/01/2020 11:17 pm
JBinFL
(@jbinfl)
Reputable Member

@luka

yep, Exactly what was said, a paver or piece of marble underneath the printer to dampen vibration noise.  The Lack table is sturdy, but it is comprised of rather thin wood top and bottom shell on the shelf and legs with a cardboard filler, like rectilinear infill on a 3-D print, inside.  It can resonate noise, let alone vibration,  especially with 12 printers.  A patio paver or piece of marble will dampen the sound. like in the pictures, except not sideways 😀 .

Strange women, laying in ponds, distributing swords, is hardly a basis for a system of governance!

Posted : 25/01/2020 12:42 am
towlerg
(@towlerg)
Noble Member

Just out of curisity, did you buy kits or built?

Posted : 25/01/2020 3:00 pm
Share: